Let's Go RACING!

All the news that's fit to shift.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Let's Go RACING!

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Nissan is making it easier to take the 370Z racing, offering a race-prepped version of the sports car.

Nissan fits the car with a roll cage, a Recaro racing seat, a Sparco steering wheel and a carbon-fiber switch panel. Plenty of creature comforts, such as interior trim and carpeting, are left out. The race version of the 370Z weighs 2,954 pounds, compared with 3,245 pounds for a 2012 Nissan 370Z coupe.

Under the hood is a 3.7-liter V6 rated at 355 hp and 276 lb-ft of torque. The civilian-duty Z car uses the same engine, rated at 332 hp and 270 lb-ft.

From the Nismo parts bin, the 370Z RC gets a performance exhaust, a high-capacity clutch, engine controller and coolers for the engine oil, transmission and differential. Hoses and connectors are upgraded to racing spec.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011102 ... z1cPSGEgQi
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Let's Go RACING!

Post by AHTOXA »

This isn't a bad idea, but I'm curious as to what has been done mechanically. The article mentiones and exhaust but not a whole lot else. If there are suspension changes and brake changes along with some engine changes, this wouldn't be a bad deal. Speaking of that - I wonder what the price of it is?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:This isn't a bad idea, but I'm curious as to what has been done mechanically. The article mentiones and exhaust but not a whole lot else. If there are suspension changes and brake changes along with some engine changes, this wouldn't be a bad deal. Speaking of that - I wonder what the price of it is?
I remember reading rumors that Nissan was going to offer a "race" version of the Z, but I didn't really think we'd ever see it happen. If I remember correctly, the car has a low-restriction exhaust system, an improved cold air intake, and different engine tuning to make the extra power. I believe the suspension and brakes were supposed to be the same that were found on the Track version of the 350Z, complete with the original Brembo brake package.

The extra power and the lower weight should make the car faster on the track for sure...
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

It needs two turbos.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I saw an article about a month and a half, or more, ago about which cars have the highest rates of death among their drivers. The base Nissan 370Z was pretty high on the list. I wish I could find it again, since it was pretty interesting.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

tankinbeans wrote:I saw an article about a month and a half, or more, ago about which cars have the highest rates of death among their drivers. The base Nissan 370Z was pretty high on the list. I wish I could find it again, since it was pretty interesting.
That's not too surprising. I bet the Mustang GT is also high on the list. Any car with a lot of power, a cheap price tag, and RWD should be somewhere on that list. Too many kids who can afford those types of cars just don't know how to handle them.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

paul34 wrote:I bet the SRT-4 is first place, or very near it, on that list.
I concur.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Post by Jastreb »

AHTOXA wrote:This isn't a bad idea, but I'm curious as to what has been done mechanically. The article mentiones and exhaust but not a whole lot else. If there are suspension changes and brake changes along with some engine changes, this wouldn't be a bad deal. Speaking of that - I wonder what the price of it is?
From what I have read on the interwebz, isn't the Z's biggest limitation insufficient brake cooling, leading to eventual boiling of the fluid? I think Car & Driver drove a Z into a wall at Virginia International Raceway a while back because of it.
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Yep, read about that as well, however I don't know if it applies to regular stock brakes or the brembo package.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:Yep, read about that as well, however I don't know if it applies to regular stock brakes or the brembo package.
That was a Nismo Z that crashed due to brake fade. If I remember correctly, they looked at swapping in different pads and better brake fluid, but in the end it all came down to poor air flow to cool the brakes.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Then brembos didnt have anything to do with it.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:Image
Then bimbos didnt have anything to do with it.
Fickset
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Looks like ms plastic fantastic herself!
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:Looks like ms plastic fantastic herself!
Which one,....the one that talks Texan, or the one that talks Midwestern?