Audi Pardner!

All the news that's fit to shift.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Audi Pardner!

Post by Rope-Pusher »

NO MANUAL FOR S4 & S5 DRIVERS IN EUROPE
This next story is a hard pill to swallow. Audi will no longer offer manual transmissions on its S4 and S5 models in Europe. But in a weird twist of fate, Audi will offer manuals in the American market. That’s because in the American market, a true performance car has to be offered with an optional manual to have real street cred. Europeans have traditionally rejected automatic transmissions, viewing them as heavier, and less fuel efficient. But this move by Audi to drop manuals in the S4 and S5 shows how Europeans are fully embracing dual-clutch transmissions.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/entry.php? ... tains-Them
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Audi Pardner!

Post by Shadow »

This has been discussed a lot on the Audi forums. Personally, I'm shocked that the "S" models are losing the manual trans option in Europe. I wonder what percentage of them were sold with a manual trans last year?

It's a shame because Audi has such a sweet manual transmission in those cars. Smooth as butter with perfect clutch take-up and excellent ratios.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

When Chrysler started to sell Neons in Europe, they were told to bring it in heavily optioned, because that's what Europeans expected of American cars. So Neons sold in Europe got power windows that weren't made available in North America until later.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Hmmm....so what's the relevance? I mean, Audi is a German car that now offers manual trans on the S5 in the U.S. and not in Europe. So you're saying that Americans expect to be able to buy a manual trans S5 in the U.S.? That's probably accurate, but I still can't believe they are basically screwing their own people out of having the option to buy an S5 with a clutch pedal.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Shadow wrote:Hmmm....so what's the relevance? I mean, Audi is a German car that now offers manual trans on the S5 in the U.S. and not in Europe. So you're saying that Americans expect to be able to buy a manual trans S5 in the U.S.? That's probably accurate, but I still can't believe they are basically screwing their own people out of having the option to buy an S5 with a clutch pedal.
The relevance is that you give the market what they expect, not necessarily what is "Best".
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Shadow wrote:Hmmm....so what's the relevance? I mean, Audi is a German car that now offers manual trans on the S5 in the U.S. and not in Europe. So you're saying that Americans expect to be able to buy a manual trans S5 in the U.S.? That's probably accurate, but I still can't believe they are basically screwing their own people out of having the option to buy an S5 with a clutch pedal.
The relevance is that you give the market what they expect, not necessarily what is "Best".

My guess is that there are plenty of enthusiasts in Europe who are disappointed by Audi's decision to leave out the clutch pedals on the S4 & S5. Just a hunch.

Like I said, I'd love to know how many units were sold (by percentage) with a manual transmission in Europe last year. I'd bet the number is comparable to the U.S. market. I really wish I knew of an easy way to get that kind of data...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Shadow wrote:My guess is that there are plenty of enthusiasts in Europe who are disappointed by Audi's decision to leave out the clutch pedals on the S4 & S5. Just a hunch.

Like I said, I'd love to know how many units were sold (by percentage) with a manual transmission in Europe last year. I'd bet the number is comparable to the U.S. market. I really wish I knew of an easy way to get that kind of data...
http://wardsauto.com/about/databook.pdf

Easy, Fast and/or Cheap - Pick 2 out of the 3

I'm curious about this too, but not THAT curious that I'd spend money to know.

Reminds me of the Jewish Boy Scout in our troop. We said to him "Camp meal is ham steaks tonight. What do you want us to go drive to the store and get for you to eat?" His reply "Oh, don't bother. I'm not THAT Jewish"
(The ham steaks and scalloped potatoes was one of the favorite dinner meals of the week)