BMW and Toyota Memorandum of Understanding

All the news that's fit to shift.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

BMW and Toyota Memorandum of Understanding

Post by Squint »

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/bm ... ration.htm
The two companies signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) aimed at a long-term strategic collaboration in four fields: joint development of a fuel cell system, joint development of architecture and components for a future sports vehicle, collaboration on powertrain electrification and joint research and development on lightweight technologies.
And BMW is supplying Toyota Europe with efficient diesel engines starting in 2014. *goes and cries in the corner because we'll never see those engines*
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: BMW and Toyota Memorandum of Understanding

Post by Shadow »

I think we're starting to see a new age in automotive manufacturing/design/engineering. I realize that there has been platform sharing between two completely difference manufacturers in the past, but it seems like we're going to see a lot more of this in the future. Toyota & Subaru with the FR-S & BRZ is just one recent example. I also heard that Mazda is working with Alfa Romeo to create the next generation of the MX-5 Miata along side an Alfa that shares the platform, but looks nothing like the Mazda.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Shadow wrote:I think we're starting to see a new age in automotive manufacturing/design/engineering. I realize that there has been platform sharing between two completely difference manufacturers in the past, but it seems like we're going to see a lot more of this in the future. Toyota & Subaru with the FR-S & BRZ is just one recent example. I also heard that Mazda is working with Alfa Romeo to create the next generation of the MX-5 Miata along side an Alfa that shares the platform, but looks nothing like the Mazda.
Reminds me of the Top Gear Christmas Special where they drove 2 door sports cars from Iraq to Bethlehem... Miata and Alfa and the BMW that kept falling apart
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

What ever happened to the Ford/Mazda alliance? I know for a while they were doing a lot of sharing. I haven't followed the ins and outs of the breakup, or whatever it is.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

tankinbeans wrote:What ever happened to the Ford/Mazda alliance? I know for a while they were doing a lot of sharing. I haven't followed the ins and outs of the breakup, or whatever it is.
Have you seen the new Ford Escape & Mazda Tribute (now called the CX-5)? Apparently, Ford and Mazda are still working together.