He'za trollin, yo

All the news that's fit to shift.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

He'za trollin, yo

Post by theholycow »

http://jalopnik.com/5952570/a-manual-tr ... al-with-it

He starts off making some good points about elitism and the many superior qualities of modern automatics (as I see it, inclusive of the entire variety of popular two-pedal transmissions), but then goes on a rant that's based on the faulty assumption that the only way to enjoy a car is to win races (and also that we can all afford a brand new GT-R for racing).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: He'za trollin, yo

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Just when you finally get fast enough to beat the clock, someone will invent a clock that goes faster yet.

If I really wanted my Jeep to go faster, I'd hire some Stig to drive it for me. What fun would that be sitting back and watching him drive it? Oh, wait a minute, that's what an automatic does!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

There's a fatal flaw in his argument. It is this: He's somehow trying to equate driving enjoyment with driving as fast as possible. No kidding that there are now faster options than a manual transmission. Anyone who is interested in getting every last 10th of a second out of a car's performance will probably choose a dual-clutch paddle shift over a manual transmission in most cases (I should say if it is even an option). But there's far more to driving enjoyment than going a couple of tenths faster with a paddle shifter over a stick shift. Sorry, but this guy just doesn't get it. His argument is weak.

The GTR is an awesome car. But you know what? The fact that it doesn't come with a stick makes me have no real interest in it. I think that car would be amazing with a nice 6-speed manual transmission. Who cares if it wouldn't be quite as fast?
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Shadow wrote:The GTR is an awesome car. But you know what? The fact that it doesn't come with a stick makes me have no real interest in it. I think that car would be amazing with a nice 6-speed manual transmission. Who cares if it wouldn't be quite as fast?
+1000000

As I said before, and I'll say it again, if the GTR came with a clutch pedal, there would be one sitting in my garage right now. The fact that it doesn't, I completely ignore the car. Call me an elitist all you want, but I do not want to spend upwards of $100k for a car that's fast, but not fun to drive (at least what I, and most likely everyone else here, define as "fun"). Sure, it might be exhilarating taking a GTR around a track once or twice, but that effect will wear off quickly if I have to drive that car around for any length of time. It would become boring.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Every time I try to explain that to people they treat me like I have the plague. Clearly I have no idea what "fun" is. As if the fact that my vehicle of choice is a Viggen doesn't give away that I am not like most other people.