No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

All the news that's fit to shift.
User avatar
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:50 pm
Cars: 2001 Chevy S-10 2.2L 5MT
Location: Detroit area

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby ClutchDisc » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:00 pm

tankinbeans wrote:My dad used to drool about cars with the push button trannies. Could always put them on the steering wheel, I already have 18-21 buttons on my wheel, depending on how you count them.

Only half joking.
I don't have any buttons on my steering wheel. :mrgreen: Just the way I like it!
01 Chevy S-10 2.2L 5-speed manual
dakta1420 wrote:The slush box is a great example of the american culture, lazy and not involved. I personally despise that.

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7072
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf TSI SE
Location: Dutchess County

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby potownrob » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:07 pm

i like cats
BUT DEM FAHGLEITZ!! :shock:

For Pizza!!!!

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby tankinbeans » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:12 pm

potownrob wrote:i like cats

Me too. They're very clever.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15667
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: 1999 Saab Viggen
Location: Salem, MA

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby watkins » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:40 pm

InlinePaul wrote:
Shadow wrote:....lots of newer cars don't have any physical connection between the gear selector and their automatic transmissions.
So then there is no advantage in having the selector lever on the floor taking up space. They should put it back on the steering column where it is out of the way, or better yet, go like my 1963 Dodge Dart had with the push buttons selectors on the dash board. But many think their car is cooler and/or faster with a big fancy knob on the floor? It sells.


Center console mounted shifters actually make a ton of sense. Your hatred of them is bizarrely intense. You bring it up every time you possibly can.

-For one, theyre way easier to be accurate when rapidly shifting between drive and reverse. Most column selectors are rather vague. It also becomes easier to add slapshift or similar gear selection features to a console selector.
-It is also far easier for different manufacturers to make a brand or model-identifiable selector. Theres only so much a stick from a column can be before it gets weird.
-Console selectors also distance passenger vehicles from utility vehicles like vans and trucks. This definitely falls into a marketing ploy, but its still valid.
-Unless the ergonomics are awful, console selectors are usually less intrusive to the cabin because they dont block anything on the dash.
-On a related ergonomic note: Lets face it, many people rest their arms on the armrest rather than holding the wheel. The selector is more convenient to reach.
-Having the selector in the center console helps prevent steering columns from becoming overcrowded. They also (unless we are talking about shift by wire) limit the adjustability of the steering wheel position because the cable has to maintain correct positioning.


The new Ram 1500s with the Pentastar have selector knobs on the dash. They are horrible. No vehicle should require so much thought to put in gear. Straightforward column and console shifters should not be f*cked around with.
Image

User avatar
InlinePaul
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1411
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 Ranger 2.3L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby InlinePaul » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:18 pm

tankinbeans wrote:
potownrob wrote:i like cats

Me too. They're very clever.

Maybe we can teach them to work the PRND2L for us in automatic cars.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

User avatar
Shadow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3321
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:51 am
Location: New York

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby Shadow » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:22 pm

InlinePaul wrote:
Shadow wrote:....lots of newer cars don't have any physical connection between the gear selector and their automatic transmissions.
So then there is no advantage in having the selector lever on the floor taking up space. They should put it back on the steering column where it is out of the way, or better yet, go like my 1963 Dodge Dart had with the push buttons selectors on the dash board. But many think their car is cooler and/or faster with a big fancy knob on the floor? It sells.


Some newer cars with automatics have what looks like a small joystick (for lack of a better description) where you'd expect to see a traditional shifter/gear selector. Maybe pushbuttons on the dash aren't too far away. What's old is new again. Still though, carmakers tend to stick with familiarity when it comes to new tech, so I think the gear selector will stay put in most cars for now.
Image

User avatar
InlinePaul
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1411
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 Ranger 2.3L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby InlinePaul » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:26 pm

watkins wrote:Center console mounted shifters actually make a ton of sense. Your hatred of them is bizarrely intense. You bring it up every time you possibly can.

-For one, theyre way easier to be accurate when rapidly shifting between drive and reverse. Most column selectors are rather vague. It also becomes easier to add slapshift or similar gear selection features to a console selector.
-It is also far easier for different manufacturers to make a brand or model-identifiable selector. Theres only so much a stick from a column can be before it gets weird.
-Console selectors also distance passenger vehicles from utility vehicles like vans and trucks. This definitely falls into a marketing ploy, but its still valid.
-Unless the ergonomics are awful, console selectors are usually less intrusive to the cabin because they dont block anything on the dash.
-On a related ergonomic note: Lets face it, many people rest their arms on the armrest rather than holding the wheel. The selector is more convenient to reach.
-Having the selector in the center console helps prevent steering columns from becoming overcrowded. They also (unless we are talking about shift by wire) limit the adjustability of the steering wheel position because the cable has to maintain correct positioning.

Actually I kind of prefer even manual transmission cars to have the shift lever on the steering column, but for me there is no good reason for the automatic selector lever to be in the middle taking up space. The push buttons in the '64 Dodge Dart were perfect. We don't see huge knobs on radios because a small knob does the job. Likewise, what is the point of a huge lever just to pick between the mode of reverse or drive, 2 or 1. Yeah, I forget about those who like to manually shift automatics, but even then, push buttons would be a very positive way to do it.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby tankinbeans » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:01 pm

I kind of like the rotary shifters found in higher end models, I've seen them on Top Gear and can't think of them off the top of my brain mush. Just dispense with the stupid J or zigzag patterns. Those get tiresome.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
Shadow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3321
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:51 am
Location: New York

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby Shadow » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:14 pm

InlinePaul wrote:Actually I kind of prefer even manual transmission cars to have the shift lever on the steering column...



I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want a shift lever on the column (on a manual transmission vehicle) at all. Honestly, I've never driven one, but I can't imagine that I'd like it nearly as much as a traditional console shifter.
Image

User avatar
InlinePaul
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1411
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 Ranger 2.3L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby InlinePaul » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:01 am

Shadow wrote:I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want a shift lever on the column (on a manual transmission vehicle) at all. Honestly, I've never driven one, but I can't imagine that I'd like it nearly as much as a traditional console shifter.


It's a lot of fun:

Image
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

User avatar
Shadow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3321
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:51 am
Location: New York

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby Shadow » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:43 am

I dunno....looks awkward and uncomfortable. Plus, could you imagine the linkage? Realistically, a floor-mounted shift lever that goes right through the floor and into the transmission seems like a much better idea.
Image

IMBoring25
Moderator
Posts: 3254
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: OK, USA

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby IMBoring25 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:55 am

The only real benefit I see to this is the ability to properly implement remote start on a manual (provided there was a switch to make sure the parking brake was also sufficiently applied to hold the vehicle in place).

watkins wrote:-Console selectors also distance passenger vehicles from utility vehicles like vans and trucks. This definitely falls into a marketing ploy, but its still valid.


Floor/console/dash-protruberance shifters are becoming more common than not in trucks and vans too.

User avatar
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15667
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: 1999 Saab Viggen
Location: Salem, MA

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby watkins » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:22 am

Absolutely. I see them all the time in Rams. I personally prefer it. I love having a big console for storage. I have no interest in having more room for passengers.
Image

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby tankinbeans » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:24 am

InlinePaul wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:
potownrob wrote:i like cats

Me too. They're very clever.

Maybe we can teach them to work the PRND2L for us in automatic cars.

They'd be more interested in shredding our legs to ribbons.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7072
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf TSI SE
Location: Dutchess County

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby potownrob » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:06 pm

InlinePaul wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:
potownrob wrote:i like cats

Me too. They're very clever.

Maybe we can teach them to work the PRND2L for us in automatic cars.

if toonces were still alive, he'd be the cat for the job

BUT DEM FAHGLEITZ!! :shock:

For Pizza!!!!


Return to “Manuals in the News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests