No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

All the news that's fit to shift.
User avatar
six
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4672
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:45 pm
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT
Location: California, U.S.

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby six » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:08 pm

InlinePaul wrote:Actually I kind of prefer even manual transmission cars to have the shift lever on the steering column, but for me there is no good reason for the automatic selector lever to be in the middle taking up space. The push buttons in the '64 Dodge Dart were perfect. We don't see huge knobs on radios because a small knob does the job. Likewise, what is the point of a huge lever just to pick between the mode of reverse or drive, 2 or 1. Yeah, I forget about those who like to manually shift automatics, but even then, push buttons would be a very positive way to do it.

Haha, what do you think of F1-style paddle shifters? I remember on some old Lexuses, they actually had buttons on the steering wheel to go up or down a gear similar to paddles, but just buttons. Maybe something like that could be implemented for future cars to shift through all gears, including Park and Reverse... kind of like a videogame lol...

In all honesty, for automatics, I'm with you, I prefer column-shifters. Chalk it up to my police car fetish, but for an automatic, column shifters are just more practical in my opinion. When I had my Crown Vic, I loved the column shifter... I never had to reach down to my side; however, with it being a Police Interceptor, I still had a center console since they come with bucket seats instead of the bench (for obvious reasons). Also love the column-shifter in the family Windstar... Ironically, the old 86 Aerostar we used to have had this huge floor-mounted shifter that stuck out of the floor like a railroad switch. It was awkward to shift because my arm was at this perfectly-imperfect length where I had to position it weirdly.
Image
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT

User avatar
InlinePaul
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1411
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 Ranger 2.3L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby InlinePaul » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:07 am

six wrote:Haha, what do you think of F1-style paddle shifters?

I only paddle in a boat. Tried the paddle in a couple different cars and it quickly became boring.

six wrote: Ironically, the old 86 Aerostar we used to have had this huge floor-mounted shifter that stuck out of the floor like a railroad switch. It was awkward to shift because my arm was at this perfectly-imperfect length where I had to position it weirdly.

Wow, I didn't realize they made Aerostars that way. We have a '92 Aerostar and it's shifter is on the column.

Here is what the push button setup looked like on a '63 Fury:
Image
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

User avatar
six
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4672
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:45 pm
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT
Location: California, U.S.

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby six » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Is that a Torqueflite? I heard that even though it was push-button, it still had a mechanical linkage. How does that work?

Here is a picture of the floor shifter in the 86 Aerostar:
Image

Also gotta love that digital dash :lol: Don't know what your '92's gauges look like, but the 86 Aerostar's dash looked like a spaceship from 70's sci-fi movies :lol:
Image
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby tankinbeans » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:36 pm

The gauges in my 93 Aerostar looked like they were designed by Atari. It had a column shifter and four captains chairs.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
InlinePaul
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1411
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 Ranger 2.3L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby InlinePaul » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:47 pm

six wrote:Is that a Torqueflite? I heard that even though it was push-button, it still had a mechanical linkage. How does that work?

Here is a picture of the floor shifter in the 86 Aerostar:
Image

Also gotta love that digital dash :lol: Don't know what your '92's gauges look like, but the 86 Aerostar's dash looked like a spaceship from 70's sci-fi movies :lol:


That is a really strange looking floor shifter and would easily get bumped into the wrong gear. Almost looks like someone stretched it out to about 4 times the length it should be.

My 92 is (I still have it) an XL I think and the gauges are analog.

In googling photos of the Dodge pushbutton auto, there were some showing the back of the swicth cluster with mechanical tabs that apparently went into a swtch, so must have been electronic. Certainly with a full manual linkage the floor position is best for both auto and manual, but linkage for a column shifter works fine in both cases and my F100 went over 100,000 miles before my linkage could have used an overhaul. Funny, the shift tube in the steering column on the Aerostar broke and it was nearly impossible to shift, so we had to get the shift tube replaced. But with electronic transmissions may as well do pushbuttons on the dash. Chrysler even has tranny pushbuttons on the steering column for some models, and some had only Drive, Neutral, and Reverse.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

User avatar
six
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4672
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:45 pm
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT
Location: California, U.S.

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby six » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:18 pm

You know, as a counter-point to marketing ploy, someone should "bring back" the push-button automatic and tout is as the wave of the future, even though it's rooted deep in automotive past. People this generation isn't going to know that, and I think a majority of people out there would think "pushing the 'D' button" would be super cool. Want to go backwards? Just push the "R" button! No handle or lever doohicky to deal with, no confusion with rotary knob selectors or zig-zag gates. Simple button push. Manufacturers no longer have to mimick the old-school console lever. Cost savings! The future is now!
Image
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT

Krimsalt
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:03 pm

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby Krimsalt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:03 pm

I think Ferrari at one point had a shift-by-wire. But it's stupid. The -by-wires occur because people b***h about "oh, my car which contains 10000000000 moving parts feels to vibraty and i need to have it soft and comfortable" which brings the demand for wiring the pedals so it feels soft (like the livingroom-on-wheels that all cars are slowly becoming). But usually people who drive manual don't complain about the mechanical feel, so it would be useless to wire it. I can see the shifter one day becoming wired instead of direct connect, but the clutch needs the mechanical feeling to feel the slip/grab... Unless they create a slip/grab light to indicate it..... oh god

User avatar
InlinePaul
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1411
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 Ranger 2.3L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby InlinePaul » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Krimsalt wrote: The -by-wires occur because people b***h about "oh, my car which contains 10000000000 moving parts feels to vibraty and i need to have it soft and comfortable" which brings the demand for wiring the pedals so it feels soft (like the livingroom-on-wheels that all cars are slowly becoming).

They ought to be made to ride in a Model T for a few weeks so they would appreciate a basic non-luxury car. The only by-wire in a Model T was the roadside repairs which often were made with baling wire (duct tape not having been invented yet). :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

User avatar
Shadow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3321
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:51 am
Location: New York

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby Shadow » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:19 pm

InlinePaul wrote:
Krimsalt wrote:
They ought to be made to ride in a Model T for a few weeks so they would appreciate a basic non-luxury car.


:lol: The Model T isn't what I'd call a basic non-luxury car. It's basically a relic at this point in time. Honestly, as much as I love the old classics, a Model T doesn't belong on the roads today with modern cars.
Image

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby tankinbeans » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:04 pm

Shadow wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:
Krimsalt wrote:
They ought to be made to ride in a Model T for a few weeks so they would appreciate a basic non-luxury car.


:lol: The Model T isn't what I'd call a basic non-luxury car. It's basically a relic at this point in time. Honestly, as much as I love the old classics, a Model T doesn't belong on the roads today with modern cars.

It was a workhorse.

Wasn't the accelerator a lever on the steering column and the clutch some button thingy on the floor? I wouldn't want to drive one, but it would be impressive to see one up close.

I went searching for the special that Top Gear UK did about the evolution of pedal and gear selection arrangements, but I'm not even sure what search terms to use. It was a fairly interesting little bit of trivia.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
InlinePaul
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1411
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 Ranger 2.3L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby InlinePaul » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Shadow wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:
Krimsalt wrote:
They ought to be made to ride in a Model T for a few weeks so they would appreciate a basic non-luxury car.


:lol: The Model T isn't what I'd call a basic non-luxury car. It's basically a relic at this point in time. Honestly, as much as I love the old classics, a Model T doesn't belong on the roads today with modern cars.
My point is that if they have to ride in a Model T for a few weeks (taking side streets and back roads) then a basic non-luxury vehicle will seem very luxurious to them. When I sold my 77 F100 and got the 85 F150 I felt like I was riding in a Cadillac because, compared to the 77, the 84 had softer springs, power steering, power brakes,and hydraulic clutch linkage.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10422
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby Rope-Pusher » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:51 pm

six wrote:Is that a Torqueflite? I heard that even though it was push-button, it still had a mechanical linkage. How does that work?

Here is a picture of the floor shifter in the 86 Aerostar:
Image

Also gotta love that digital dash :lol: Don't know what your '92's gauges look like, but the 86 Aerostar's dash looked like a spaceship from 70's sci-fi movies :lol:

Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
six
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4672
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:45 pm
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT
Location: California, U.S.

Re: No physical linkage between shifter and transmission???

Postby six » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:45 pm

:lol: :lol:
Image
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT


Return to “Manuals in the News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest