2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic Tran

All the news that's fit to shift.
User avatar
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:23 am
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic Tran

Postby Standardshifter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:01 pm

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/1312_2014_ ... ewall.html

Nice article that covers the changes for the C7 Corvette transmissions, including the active rev match, twin-disc clutch, dual-mass flywheel, and seventh gear for the manual transmission.
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites

ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:50 pm
Cars: 2005 Ford Focus 2.0L 5MT
Location: Detroit area

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic

Postby ClutchDisc » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:16 pm

Nice, but way too fancy for me.
05 Ford Focus 2.0 5-speed manual 69k
Image

User avatar
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:08 pm
Location: C-eh N-eh D-eh

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic

Postby monkeyhunk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:45 pm

Seven? I haven't even tried a six yet.... :lol:
Wrangler X Unlimited 6MT

ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:50 pm
Cars: 2005 Ford Focus 2.0L 5MT
Location: Detroit area

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic

Postby ClutchDisc » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:51 pm

monkeyhunk wrote:Seven? I haven't even tried a six yet.... :lol:

Same here. I've only driven a 5-speed...and I'm perfectly happy with that! (except I would like to drive a 3-on-the-tree someday) :lol:
05 Ford Focus 2.0 5-speed manual 69k
Image

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15958
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic

Postby theholycow » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:55 pm

MOAR GEARS!

1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3701
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic

Postby tankinbeans » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:09 pm

monkeyhunk wrote:Seven? I haven't even tried a six yet.... :lol:

Welcome, I see you're fairly new here.

If you can drive a 5 speed, you can drive a 6 and a 7. The only thing I'd wonder about with a 7 would be the larger gap between the extremes of the shifter. Would you still be able to apply light pressure up to 5th or would it require more thought not to select 7 from 4th? There's almost got to be a lockout to keep that from occurring.

I don't know that answer.

Either way, welcome again.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:08 pm
Location: C-eh N-eh D-eh

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic

Postby monkeyhunk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:16 pm

tankinbeans wrote:
monkeyhunk wrote:Seven? I haven't even tried a six yet.... :lol:

Welcome, I see you're fairly new here.

If you can drive a 5 speed, you can drive a 6 and a 7. The only thing I'd wonder about with a 7 would be the larger gap between the extremes of the shifter. Would you still be able to apply light pressure up to 5th or would it require more thought not to select 7 from 4th? There's almost got to be a lockout to keep that from occurring.

I don't know that answer.

Either way, welcome again.


LOL I'm sure it's no harder. Sarcasm gets lost a little on the internet sometimes.

ClutchDisc wrote:
monkeyhunk wrote:Seven? I haven't even tried a six yet.... :lol:

Same here. I've only driven a 5-speed...and I'm perfectly happy with that! (except I would like to drive a 3-on-the-tree someday) :lol:



My dad had me driving an old Ford pick up three on the tree with blocks on the pedals when I was about 8.
Wrangler X Unlimited 6MT

ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:50 pm
Cars: 2005 Ford Focus 2.0L 5MT
Location: Detroit area

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic

Postby ClutchDisc » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:09 am

Wow that sounds great monkeyhunk!!
05 Ford Focus 2.0 5-speed manual 69k
Image

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10482
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic

Postby Rope-Pusher » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:40 am

monkeyhunk wrote:Seven? I haven't even tried a six yet.... :lol:


Too Many Gears?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15958
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic

Postby theholycow » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:41 am

1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
Shadow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3322
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:51 am
Location: New York

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic

Postby Shadow » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:37 am

monkeyhunk wrote:Seven? I haven't even tried a six yet.... :lol:


I drive a six now, but I haven't yet tried a seven. But honestly, I think six is the sweet spot for manual transmissions.....seven seems like overkill.
Image

User avatar
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:08 pm
Location: C-eh N-eh D-eh

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic

Postby monkeyhunk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:39 pm

As short as I shift I could stand to have a 6th, even if it were just added on top with 1-5 left just the way they are.
Wrangler X Unlimited 6MT

User avatar
Squint
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3390
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: KY

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic

Postby Squint » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:41 pm

monkeyhunk wrote:As short as I shift I could stand to have a 6th, even if it were just added on top with 1-5 left just the way they are.

I would agree with this. Add a 6th that is just a highway cruising gear so I'm not at 3000+ RPM at 70mph.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3701
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic

Postby tankinbeans » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:53 pm

Squint wrote:
monkeyhunk wrote:As short as I shift I could stand to have a 6th, even if it were just added on top with 1-5 left just the way they are.

I would agree with this. Add a 6th that is just a highway cruising gear so I'm not at 3000+ RPM at 70mph.

WERD!

As I posted in the other thread about gearing, I think Ford could stand to offer 6 speeds in their more pedestrian models. I'm pretty sure the transmissions from the Fiesta ST and the Focus ST could probably be swapped with only very minor tweaks to the base engines in both (base for the US market that is). I think the engines are related, but the ST variants have lower compression whatever else needed to accept the turbo.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:08 pm
Location: C-eh N-eh D-eh

Re: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - Manual vs. Automatic

Postby monkeyhunk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Squint wrote:I would agree with this. Add a 6th that is just a highway cruising gear so I'm not at 3000+ RPM at 70mph.


70 MPH is apparently right close to 110 according to Dr. Google. I'm just a hair over 2500 @110, still a little high for ongoing cruising my opinion. If I'm going 60 I'm at 2000 in 4th or about 1400 in 5th. 5th makes more sense to me.
Wrangler X Unlimited 6MT


Return to “Manuals in the News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest