State of the Stick

All the news that's fit to shift.
User avatar
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts

State of the Stick

Postby Boston Fit » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:47 am

Two short articles on the viability of manual transmission, first from Lamborghini's standpoint and then from a broader industry perspective ...

AutoGuide: Why Lamborghini Trashed the Manual Transmission

Road & Track: Clutch Pedal is Alive and Well
2013 Honda Civic Si

User avatar
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:08 pm
Location: C-eh N-eh D-eh

Re: State of the Stick

Postby monkeyhunk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:15 am

You know what really grinds my gears......
Wrangler X Unlimited 6MT

User avatar
Squint
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3390
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: KY

Re: State of the Stick

Postby Squint » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:08 am

monkeyhunk wrote:You know what really grinds my gears......

Poor shifting in a clutch-less transmission?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3703
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: State of the Stick

Postby tankinbeans » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:45 am

Squint wrote:
monkeyhunk wrote:You know what really grinds my gears......

Poor shifting in a clutch-less transmission?

Olie?

He constantly hunts on even the slightest of inclines.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:08 pm
Location: C-eh N-eh D-eh

Re: State of the Stick

Postby monkeyhunk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:34 pm

My wife steers a PRNDL and I love her to death but when the revolution comes I'll kill her ass first just to show you all I mean business.
Wrangler X Unlimited 6MT

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3703
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: State of the Stick

Postby tankinbeans » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:39 pm

^^^ 8) :lol: :mrgreen: :twisted:


My roommate has a PRNDS+/- and my secondary vehicle is a PRND321. Both of these have very dimwitted transmissions. Olie hunts and Opus waits too long to shit with his fanciful dual-clutch thingamabobber.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15961
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: State of the Stick

Postby theholycow » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:50 pm

My 2002 GMC is a slushbox but it is very good at choosing the right gear, doesn't hunt, is generally well-behaved.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:08 pm
Location: C-eh N-eh D-eh

Re: State of the Stick

Postby monkeyhunk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:20 pm

I very very seldom do and normally refuse to drive my wifes car not because it is a slush box but because it is so low to the ground I feel like I'm riding on a roller skate. Being a slush box is just another strike against it.
Wrangler X Unlimited 6MT

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3703
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: State of the Stick

Postby tankinbeans » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:27 pm

monkeyhunk wrote:I very very seldom do and normally refuse to drive my wifes car not because it is a slush box but because it is so low to the ground I feel like I'm riding on a roller skate. Being a slush box is just another strike against it.

Being low-slung is more and more a demerit for cars that I'm in. My Focus is a little higher than my friend's Jetta, but it's still difficult to get into and out of easily. I like my Blazer because of the ride height, but feeding it is a pain and so I don't drive it as often as the Focus. My next vehicle might be CX-5ish or something similar if I can find it with a manual.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
Squint
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3390
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: KY

Re: State of the Stick

Postby Squint » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:53 pm

tankinbeans wrote:
monkeyhunk wrote:I very very seldom do and normally refuse to drive my wifes car not because it is a slush box but because it is so low to the ground I feel like I'm riding on a roller skate. Being a slush box is just another strike against it.

Being low-slung is more and more a demerit for cars that I'm in. My Focus is a little higher than my friend's Jetta, but it's still difficult to get into and out of easily. I like my Blazer because of the ride height, but feeding it is a pain and so I don't drive it as often as the Focus. My next vehicle might be CX-5ish or something similar if I can find it with a manual.

You're getting old.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3703
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: State of the Stick

Postby tankinbeans » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:02 pm

I know, right.

How does the lyric go?

"I'm too young to feel this dagburned ancient."
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15961
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: State of the Stick

Postby theholycow » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:22 pm

tankinbeans wrote:"I'm too young to feel this dagburned ancient."

:lol:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts

Re: State of the Stick

Postby Boston Fit » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:20 pm

tankinbeans wrote:My next vehicle might be CX-5ish or something similar if I can find it with a manual.

The CX-5 is available with stick, but only in FWD base trim with the smaller engine option. I found it to be underpowered with poor clutch feel when I test drove it, but otherwise, I would really enjoy the novelty factor of having a manually-shifted SUV.
2013 Honda Civic Si

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3703
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 300S, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: State of the Stick

Postby tankinbeans » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Sonofabiscuit. I like the Escape too, but think it's offered with a manual, although I've heard that the 1.6 turbo offers one. I wouldn't want to try and deal with a turbo though. Are there any other options that I could look at in several years?
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
Squint
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3390
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: KY

Re: State of the Stick

Postby Squint » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:40 pm

tankinbeans wrote:Sonofabiscuit. I like the Escape too, but think it's offered with a manual, although I've heard that the 1.6 turbo offers one. I wouldn't want to try and deal with a turbo though. Are there any other options that I could look at in several years?

Doing a swap :lol: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!


Return to “Manuals in the News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests