Stick it to The Man: Cars that still offer a manual transmission in 2016

All the news that's fit to shift.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Stick it to The Man: Cars that still offer a manual transmission in 2016

Post by Rope-Pusher »

THE U.S. MIGHT NOT SEE THE NEXT FIESTA
With sales of passenger cars dropping in the American market, Ford may drop the next generation Fiesta from its U.S. lineup, according to Romanian publication 0-100.ro. When they spoke with Robert Stiller, Manager of B-Segment cars at Ford, he said “the previous model was a global product, and with the new generation, (they) are targeting only Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.” While Ford has made no official statement on the matter, it wouldn’t be surprising given the Fiesta’s steadily declining sales. So far this year only 24,000 were sold in the U.S. market.

https://www.motor1.com/news/174532/ford ... o-america/
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

UK will ban sales of gasoline, diesel cars starting 2040

Do you think the Amish will accept electricity after 2040?

No, I don't want to hear how using an electric motor means there is no reason to have multiple gear ranges. If there wasn't an advantage, why would many of the Formula E racecars be running with multi-speed gearboxes?

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2017 ... rting-2040

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Your Doctor is Prolly Telling You to - Get Fit!
"Our first go-round is in a Fit Sport with the six-speed manual transmission. It’s the combination to get. The shifter is tight with short throws, and the clutch action is light, so it’s stop-and-go friendly. There’s good power over 3,000 rpm, and the 1.5-liter likes the top of the tach. It remains smooth as it approaches its 6,800-rpm redline."

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews ... z4qgS09SsM
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:THE U.S. MIGHT NOT SEE THE NEXT FIESTA
With sales of passenger cars dropping in the American market, Ford may drop the next generation Fiesta from its U.S. lineup, according to Romanian publication 0-100.ro. When they spoke with Robert Stiller, Manager of B-Segment cars at Ford, he said “the previous model was a global product, and with the new generation, (they) are targeting only Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.” While Ford has made no official statement on the matter, it wouldn’t be surprising given the Fiesta’s steadily declining sales. So far this year only 24,000 were sold in the U.S. market.

https://www.motor1.com/news/174532/ford ... o-america/
that's a shame, as it's the first fiesta to not look like a clown car :? :evil:

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Your Doctor is Prolly Telling You to - Get Fit!
"Our first go-round is in a Fit Sport with the six-speed manual transmission. It’s the combination to get. The shifter is tight with short throws, and the clutch action is light, so it’s stop-and-go friendly. There’s good power over 3,000 rpm, and the 1.5-liter likes the top of the tach. It remains smooth as it approaches its 6,800-rpm redline."

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews ... z4qgS09SsM
the fit must be selling better than i realized for them to bring out a new trim level. i test drove a 2015 fit ex manual (prior to leasing the accord sport) and found it surprisingly peppy, roomy and featureful (is that a word?). it was a little weighed down with 3 people in the car but, with just the salesman and me, it was a hoot and didn't drive or accelerate like a penalty box. i personally would try to pony up for the ex with its moonroof, keyless entry and start, probably better stereo, nicer (IMO) wheels etc. it is a little expensive for a subcompact hatch, but the quality is good and it'll probably last forever (not that i would keep it forever). the nicer features are good to have and would hopefully keep me from wanting to drive it off a cliff within a year. the lx is a little too simple and plain jane (despite being more like the past generation fits), so the new sport can actually fill a gap, as long as it has more than just cosmetic improvements over the lx... i have seen used 2015 fits for ~10-12k USD with well under 100k miles, which seems like a good deal to me. i personally will probably try to get a bigger car next though...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hey get a good deal on an Amish vehicle.

I hear they have a lot of cars with sticks down in Houston - sticks, mud, dead cats, sewer water, alligators, etc.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2017083 ... news-daily

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017083 ... news-annow

Wow, could be 3-500,000 scrapped or salvaged vehicles!

Houston could be a good place to go for hunting through junkyards for non-perishable car parts.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

So, basically...I could transplant all the guts from my rotted GMC into a cheap donor with a good frame and sheet metal?

Somebody get me a flood truck!
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:So, basically...I could transplant all the guts from my rotted GMC into a cheap donor with a good frame and sheet metal?

Somebody get me a flood truck!
Wear your flood pants and tell 'em Rope sentcha and I'll see you get a good deal.

All you can carry on your person for $5.00. Might take you and a few friends to get a pick-m-up body and frame, but 20 friends would only cost $100.00!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

theholycow wrote:I don't want to go on the cart!
I feel happy, I feel happy.

*smash*

Thank you, sir, here's your ninepence.

You're welcome. See you next week.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:
theholycow wrote:I don't want to go on the cart!
I feel happy, I feel happy.

*smash*

Thank you, sir, here's your ninepence.

You're welcome. See you next week.
Oh, is THAT what "Allah Cart" means?!!!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Smart car has a manual? Are they putting real manuals in them now or are they talking about that automated manual BS?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Shadow wrote:Smart car has a manual? Are they putting real manuals in them now or are they talking about that automated manual BS?
I think the USA only got the automated manual, but there was a non-shunned Amish version sold to the folks South of the border in Canada....and in other markets I'm sure.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 will get its flat-six and six-speed manual back
A prototype has already been spotted testing in Europe, and CAR magazine expects to see a detuned version of the 4.0-liter flat-six currently found in the Porsche 911 GT3. Even better, the 4.0-liter flat-six is expected to be paired with a six-speed manual transmission, which is just about everything Porsche enthusiasts can ask for in this model.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/po ... z4zMIavPqq
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 will get its flat-six and six-speed manual back
A prototype has already been spotted testing in Europe, and CAR magazine expects to see a detuned version of the 4.0-liter flat-six currently found in the Porsche 911 GT3. Even better, the 4.0-liter flat-six is expected to be paired with a six-speed manual transmission, which is just about everything Porsche enthusiasts can ask for in this model.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/po ... z4zMIavPqq
had my hopes up, til eye realized it was just for the GT4. not that eye could afford a 718 cayman anyway... :? :lol: 8)
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Volkswagen Jetta essentials: A manual makes everything better
Our Opinion: How many Jetta shoppers will take theirs with a manual transmission? Not many, I’d venture, but this is a perfect example of how a stick can liven up what is fundamentally sound-but-basic transportation. It’s simple and slow, sure, but it’s fun!

At first glance, this is a risky powertrain setup: A teeny, downsized inline-four turbo and a five-speed (a five-speed!) manual transmission. But the most surprising part about this combo is how un-stressed it feels.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews ... z52V60YTwo