Transmission Wars

All the news that's fit to shift.
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Transmission Wars

Post by jcprov21 »

http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000400055158/

"Manufacturers are investing billions to get an edge on economy and performance through development of new transmissions. "
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Transmission Wars

Post by potownrob »

jcprov21 wrote:http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000400055158/

"Manufacturers are investing billions to get an edge on economy and performance through development of new transmissions. "
Good read 8) . Also glad the commenters aren't culturally brainwashed into thinking auto is the only way to go and stick is ancient history :wink: .
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
95NissanSentra
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 95NissanSentra »

The Boston Globe just suggested in a recent article about high gas prices that you should buy a stick shift car if you want to save gas.

Also, check this out: One of the posters in that original article said that GM was predicting that the stick would be history by the 1980s. Well, look at the graph at the top of this webpage and you'll see why. To date, 1977 was the only year in which more than 95% of vehicles sold were equipped with automatics! Where were we then? On the verge of another fuel crisis, of course.

Here's the link: http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinside ... 271661.htm

6 and 7 speed autos will narrow the gap (if not eliminate it, in some cases) in fuel economy between autos and sticks. However, all that new technology being incorporated into an automatic will lead to higher sticker prices, also. Small, zippy cars will continue to have a future with the third pedal and shifter as a result (adding $2000 to a $15,000 Kia is more shock than adding $2000 to a $25,000 car).

Oil is a finite resource. Saudi Arabia is unstable. Folks, gas is not gettin' any cheaper. If people buy cars, these days they will be looking more at point A to point B cars, and not huge slushbox SUVs.

Eventually, however, the CVT will come along and kill all this... hopefully not in my generation.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

I wish I have a 6 spd, with a much shorter 1st and a much taller 6th. Every time I launch on a steep hill, I feel like I'm either killing the clutch or lugging the engine.

In theory, an 8 spd transmissions with a 2 spd reverse, manual or automatic, will save improve fuel efficiency in trucks and SUVs. With the 1st 2 gears being the "granny gears", it allows a small engine, with a big radiator, to pull a heavy load. Check this out. An average SUV or truck pulling a 7,000lb load needs a 6L engine. Highway trucks pulling 60,000lb does it with a 12L engine, which probably isn't big enough without a 10spd.

Fuel efficiency improvement starts with a small engine. A small engine means a smaller engine bay and allow aerodynamicists more freedom to refine the front end of the vehicle. A smaller engine and engine bay is lighter, allows the use of lighter ladder frame, suspension, and brakes, hence reducing the weight of the entire vehicle.
rbhays
Junior Standardshifter

Post by rbhays »

scionkid wrote:
In theory, an 8 spd transmissions with a 2 spd reverse,
2 speed reverse are you kidding? :?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

rbhays wrote:
scionkid wrote:
In theory, an 8 spd transmissions with a 2 spd reverse,
2 speed reverse are you kidding? :?
I don't get it either but, Mercedes has implemented two reverses in some of their trannies, so there must be some use for it :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Post by jcprov21 »

I was talking to my mom about this, she said and i quote: " i have been driving for 30 yrs and never need 2 reverse speeds"

:roll:
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Ok, maybe 2 speed reverse isn't that necessary. I was thinking that the slowest reverse may be too slow while reversing with a light load.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I'm only familiar with multispeed reverse on semis, and it is not inappropriate to have a gear for reversing with the trailer and a gear for reversing with only the tractor.
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

Yeah...I totally understand the reasonings behind scionkid's theory, and in fact it is not a bad idea; but I doubt many people will use their whatever reverse gears for whatever purposes for a particular long period of time.

In short, if it is not popular and most people don't demand a special reverse gear, no automaker is gonna produce something fancy like that.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Weight-savings gone Wild!

How do they keep the fluid in and the dirt out?

Chrysler says it has sold more than 1 million vehicles equipped with its TorqueFlite 8HP45/845RE 8-speed automatic transmission, first installed in the ’12 Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300.

The rear-wheel-drive gearbox is used in 19 ’14 Chrysler vehicles across four vehicle segments, including the Dodge Durango, Ram 1500 and Jeep Cherokee lineups. Starting in ’15, it will be paired with Hemi-equipped Dodge Chargers, Challengers and Challenger SRTs.

Over the lifetime of the vehicles equipped with the advanced transmission, owners are expected to save more than 700 million gallons (2.6 billion L) of fuel compared with their predecessors with 5- and 6-speed gearboxes, the automaker says.

That quantity of gasoline is worth about $2.5 billion based on current fuel-price forecasts, Chrysler says. The transmission also will reduce combined carbon-dioxide emissions more than 6.6 million tons (6 million t).

But the Challenger Drivers who order Amish are happier folks, right?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

And I wonder how much savings were created by switching from 3/4 speed manuals to 5 and 6 speeds?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:Image

And I wonder how much savings were created by switching from 3/4 speed manuals to 5 and 6 speeds?
Real-Life savings, or EPA fuel mileage savings?

A wide ratio 4-speed can show good economy on the epa test schedules, where acceleration is rather sedate.

Real drivers might not upshift as soon if the jump in ratios is severe.

When a vehicle has ample power, drivers can upshift sooner and use those overdrive ratios.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Problem with the 8 speed is that almost every customer hates the way it shifts. They all think its too harsh.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:Problem with the 8 speed is that almost every customer hates the way it shifts. They all think its too harsh.
People just have to get used to what efficiency feels like!