Winter Driving Conditions

vp
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Winter Driving Conditions

Post by vp »

The cheaper hotels around JFK like Comfort Inn or Best Western probably won't check ID. I've been to one and they never did. The area is somewhat seedy/shady, but since you're driving it would not be a problem.

There's also a Comfort Inn in Queens right by the Maurice Ave exit of the LIE, which is an easy drive into Manhattan.
vp
Senior Standardshifter

Post by vp »

So, how's your trip to NYC going so far? The forecast says it's going to be mild and rainy around New Year's day.
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

The trip to NYC was a huge success and tons of fun. We got pretty lucky with the weather--it was clear both when we drove there and on the return trip. I have a video of the ball dropping that I'll link to on here once stupid tinypic will start accepting my video upload!

Oh, and it was freezing on New Year's Eve. I'm told the wind chill was below 0. Three out of the 5 of us couldn't take it and gave up hours before midnight, but one other guy and I stuck it out and made it the whole way. It was well worth it! I must have made it on TV like 15 times, including getting asked a couple of questions for ABC's New Year's Rockin' Eve from some girl I'm told was on American Idol (Kellie Pickler I think...?). We had one of the best spots possible, since we made it there 11 hours in advance.

I'll upload a few pics and the video sometime when it isn't 3am.
gizmo
Master Standardshifter
Cars: tC

Post by gizmo »

I've never had snow tires before, always had all seasons, but I've been in many situations here in NY where, after/during certain storms, it was unsafe to drive with all seasons.

To be honest, if you're not accustomed to driving in snow, especially if you don't know the areas/roads, being cautious wouldn't hurt... make sure your hazards work if you get really cautious.
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

Learn to drift some corners...

It ends up being safer in some situations to do that instead of slowing down,
which could have led to you getting stuck or getting hit by someone.
-----
But really, stay safe, and get some snow tires :D
Caramel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: [1999 Volvo S70]

Post by Caramel »

mm yeah you have a point, I drifting on slippery uphill corners. Not too big of an incline, but enough to be a pain if i stopped and got stuck, or started rolling back randomly.