Anyone up for a meet?

bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Re: Anyone up for a meet?

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:So I went out for a ride the other day and went down route 7. It is a nice twisting and turning road. Google maps it and tell me what you think of its location and such. Its in CT.
do you mean route 7 that runs into 84 near danbury/bethel?? that's not too far from me and my sister works at duracell right there in bethel. i haven't driven that road in a while but i don't remember liking it much other than north of there closer to mass. the stretch that runs south of danbury near ridgefield etc. is ok but nothing too interesting from what i remember.
Yeah that road. I did not take it going too far south. I was thinking that canaan is a pretty nice area. Maybe making that a waypoint or something. I would have to look and see. I know that I saw a covered bridge on rt 7 so its a nice ride, definitely. Not sure if anyone is a photographer.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:
potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:So I went out for a ride the other day and went down route 7. It is a nice twisting and turning road. Google maps it and tell me what you think of its location and such. Its in CT.
do you mean route 7 that runs into 84 near danbury/bethel?? that's not too far from me and my sister works at duracell right there in bethel. i haven't driven that road in a while but i don't remember liking it much other than north of there closer to mass. the stretch that runs south of danbury near ridgefield etc. is ok but nothing too interesting from what i remember.
Yeah that road. I did not take it going too far south. I was thinking that canaan is a pretty nice area. Maybe making that a waypoint or something. I would have to look and see. I know that I saw a covered bridge on rt 7 so its a nice ride, definitely. Not sure if anyone is a photographer.
that area is very nice and open. i just haven't been up there in a few years. i used to go camping not far from there and go hiking at bash bish falls / mt. washington near the tri-state border. i consider myself an amateur photographer but, as tony and watkins know (from the WV meets), i tend to take a lot of pics. you should take a look at some pics from last year's WV meet... http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/580327649oUEelw

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

I am an amateur aswell...but more of a noob. It would be a nice ride with some nice stop offs. I will try to find a mountain road...lots of time before spring... I will take a look at the album.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:I am an amateur aswell...but more of a noob. It would be a nice ride with some nice stop offs. I will try to find a mountain road...lots of time before spring... I will take a look at the album.
yeah, there must be some nice roads out there, probably just have to know where to look. i didn't realize you lived near that area.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:I am an amateur aswell...but more of a noob. It would be a nice ride with some nice stop offs. I will try to find a mountain road...lots of time before spring... I will take a look at the album.
yeah, there must be some nice roads out there, probably just have to know where to look. i didn't realize you lived near that area.
Haha CT is so small and where I am from (central, Newington/Wethersfield area) everything is like 90 minutes from my house. Then again I just like to drive random country roads. I like the scenery, the roads, and most of all the peace and quiet. :)

Your right about having to look. Once I took a road because I thought it lead me to a park because there was a sign that said a state forest...so I was like good I need a picture for my photography class. I get there and the road turns to dirt..so I turn around and see an old concrete marker that seperates CT from MA. Quite interesting.

NY state has some good scenery, especially 22.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:I get there and the road turns to dirt..so I turn around and see an old concrete marker that seperates CT from MA. Quite interesting.
i would've kept going on the dirt road. not far from here, in the sticks, there are roads that turn to dirt but then become paved again so you just have to go through the dirt sections to get to the other paved sections unless you want to drive 3 times as far to circumvent it.
there are some nice sections of 22 but, overall, i consider it a bootleg rt. 7.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:I get there and the road turns to dirt..so I turn around and see an old concrete marker that seperates CT from MA. Quite interesting.
i would've kept going on the dirt road. not far from here, in the sticks, there are roads that turn to dirt but then become paved again so you just have to go through the dirt sections to get to the other paved sections unless you want to drive 3 times as far to circumvent it.
there are some nice sections of 22 but, overall, i consider it a bootleg rt. 7.
Did not see you responded, I would have kept going...but the road was pretty torn up. I mean there were pot holes...in a dirt road! I couldn't believe it. I also think that I saw the other side of that road because I was on 57 and saw a road that looked pretty darn close to that shade...and it was dirt aswell.

Yeah its all dependent on where I am going. Usually if I go toward kingston I take 9w back to 84..but if I am going up to albany its a tradeoff between rte 7 and 22.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:Did not see you responded, I would have kept going...but the road was pretty torn up. I mean there were pot holes...in a dirt road! I couldn't believe it. I also think that I saw the other side of that road because I was on 57 and saw a road that looked pretty darn close to that shade...and it was dirt aswell.
yeah, in that case you're probably better off turning around...
Yeah its all dependent on where I am going. Usually if I go toward kingston I take 9w back to 84..but if I am going up to albany its a tradeoff between rte 7 and 22.
wow, you're brave!! i would never think to take 9W that far, and i'm glad you realize the stretch between kingston and albany takes too long and isn't as nice. if i were going from newburgh (near 84) to kingston, i wouldn't even think to take 9W (not that it wouldn't be scenic); i usually just take 87 between those towns. Going to Albany, I've only taken 9, 87 and the Taconic (and 90 from Taconic or 9 to Albany). When I went to school in Albany, I almost always took 9/9H up. Never taken 22 or 7 all the way up or down either. I have (naturally) taken rt. 9, the Taconic and 87 all the way up and down though.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:Did not see you responded, I would have kept going...but the road was pretty torn up. I mean there were pot holes...in a dirt road! I couldn't believe it. I also think that I saw the other side of that road because I was on 57 and saw a road that looked pretty darn close to that shade...and it was dirt aswell.
yeah, in that case you're probably better off turning around...
wow, you're brave!! i would never think to take 9W that far, and i'm glad you realize the stretch between kingston and albany takes too long and isn't as nice. if i were going from newburgh (near 84) to kingston, i wouldn't even think to take 9W (not that it wouldn't be scenic); i usually just take 87 between those towns. Going to Albany, I've only taken 9, 87 and the Taconic (and 90 from Taconic or 9 to Albany). When I went to school in Albany, I almost always took 9/9H up. Never taken 22 or 7 all the way up or down either. I have (naturally) taken rt. 9, the Taconic and 87 all the way up and down though.
The Taconic is nice...but man its narrow, and rough. Sure is fun and nice though.

Rte 9W is great! Especially in cementon. Then there is a junk store right next to a Tractor Supply somewhere on 9W aswell. Then I eat McDonalds in that same plaza. But I usually got time to kill, especially with my father. That's why I go on that road.

I have taken 87 aswell. Its a smooth ride, but I like seeing some oddball stuff, especially those old cement factories.. XD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:The Taconic is nice...but man its narrow, and rough. Sure is fun and nice though.
i am known in my family to despise the taconic, but i secretly love driving on certain sections of that road. only certain sections are narrow or rough (mostly fixed for roughness now, at least sections i've been on lately). if you want to see narrow, rough and dark, check out the saw mill :lol:
Rte 9W is great! Especially in cementon. Then there is a junk store right next to a Tractor Supply somewhere on 9W aswell. Then I eat McDonalds in that same plaza. But I usually got time to kill, especially with my father. That's why I go on that road.
cementon?? i think that plaza with tractor supply and mcdo might be in highland. i live across the river from there and am over in that area at least once a week.
I have taken 87 aswell. Its a smooth ride, but I like seeing some oddball stuff, especially those old cement factories.. XD
87 is fast and wide, but i don't find it as scenic as other roads.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:The Taconic is nice...but man its narrow, and rough. Sure is fun and nice though.
i am known in my family to despise the taconic, but i secretly love driving on certain sections of that road. only certain sections are narrow or rough (mostly fixed for roughness now, at least sections i've been on lately). if you want to see narrow, rough and dark, check out the saw mill :lol:
cementon?? i think that plaza with tractor supply and mcdo might be in highland. i live across the river from there and am over in that area at least once a week.
87 is fast and wide, but i don't find it as scenic as other roads.
One thing about the taconic are the sewers..Some parts are nice, you are right. The saw mill...haha its like the merrit parkway of Connecticut. You ever been on that?

Yeah I knew that plaza was not in cementon, poor sentence structuring. My fault. I just couldn't think of the town. Isn't that junk store cool? hahah

87 is like the typical interstate, however past albany it can get pretty interesting...but not much.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote: One thing about the taconic are the sewers..Some parts are nice, you are right. The saw mill...haha its like the merrit parkway of Connecticut. You ever been on that?
you just have to know where to position yourself on the taconic to avoid the drains. never been on the merritt but i believe that is an extension of the hutch which i've been on many times. traffic's the only thing i can complain about it (and the 50 mph limit once you hit the city). nothing compared to the saw mill.
Yeah I knew that plaza was not in cementon, poor sentence structuring. My fault. I just couldn't think of the town. Isn't that junk store cool? hahah
i'm not familiar with cementon though i could've driven through there. never been in the junk store or tractor store in that plaza, just hannaford, mcdo, subway, chinese takeout and the pizza place. you can see where my priorities are...
87 is like the typical interstate, however past albany it can get pretty interesting...but not much.
yeah it's nice north of albany but gotta watch for the cops more from what i remember.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Actually I am thinking, maybe the mohawk trail (RTE 2) up in western mass. Very pretty around fall time.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:Actually I am thinking, maybe the mohawk trail (RTE 2) up in western mass. Very pretty around fall time.
that whole area is gorgeous. we could do a meet sometime out there. i am usually off sundays and could be off on monday and friday.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:Actually I am thinking, maybe the mohawk trail (RTE 2) up in western mass. Very pretty around fall time.
that whole area is gorgeous. we could do a meet sometime out there. i am usually off sundays and could be off on monday and friday.
Yeah! A sunday would probably be the best for me. Not sure when though.