2nd Annual Regional SS CT Meat '16

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

2nd Annual Regional SS CT Meat '16

Post by potownrob »

So, Cow, BK, BK's friend and eye met up in eastern CT last Friday for some BBQ, driving and car talk. We met at Bear's BBQ in Windsor, CT (not TOO far from Hartford), where much (TOO much) BBQ was had. We talked about cars and stuff, other forum members (as always happens at these meats), and then we eventually got to drive each other's cars around. We only hung out for about 2 and a half hours, supposedly due to a cop watching us, but I didn't realize the cop was watching us (he was facing a side street, not even looking toward us), but it gave me time to drive up to Enfield to hit up B&N before heading home. If I had planned better, I probably would've gone to the Hartford B&N instead (more driving going all the way up to Enfield then back down through Hartford to go home), but we can save that for next year. Took some pics and want to show the SS masses (and Waffen SS of course). Can't find/too lazy to find my memory card reader/camera cable, so took alternative (lazy) measures of transferring some pics to the photo bucket.

pre-dinner stretch behind bear bbq. cow is in his car (naturally!!).

inside bear's bbq. not at all what eye expected, despite BK and his friend warning us about it. place was big and smelled of tasty bbq though.

eye got a dish called bear attack, which is pretty much cornbread topped with mac & cheese and your choice of meat. i chose brisket for my meat; would choose pork instead if eye went back (and probably mac attack instead of bear attack). i also seemingly sillily chose a side of cornbread and mac & cheese in addition to the same items already being in the dish. this turned out to be okay, as the mac & cheese was good and the cornbread side tasted way better than the cornbread that was under the mac & cheese and meat.

BK looks perturbed; Ryan looks disturbed. Don't worry; i didn't get killed or even hurt (i have LOTS of pics of angry looking people btw).

ImageMUCH better!! 8)

pig right outside the joint

hard to make out, but that's an RS7 in grey heading out. guy musta been trying to save gas; we didn't get to hear the engine... :evil: :cry:

heading back to the cars. yes, cow was with us this whole time.

icecream trucks and wannabe rape van

der Blue Beast

cow and bk with their respective vehicles

heading out from bear's. we drive our own cars first to some random apartment complex/shopping building.

nice view of cow's rack

meeting at above mentioned apartment/shopping building

MOAR Blue Beast!!

BK and the Silver Civic

driving bk's civic behind bk and ryan in cow's buick. didn't get used to the civic til we got to the rendezvous point (which was the high school).

sitting in cow's buick. took a good 3-5 minutes to relearn how to drive it. eye wuss scared. :shock:

trying to drive the buick while following bk and ryan in the Blue Beast. talk about scary.

meeting back at the weird apartment/shopping place. not sure why we parked in the dark on the side this time. cop came in and parked not far from us to monitor a nearby sidestreet. :)

cowmobile and bkmobile. cowmobile's lights not as bright as they appear.

heading up 91 to enfield for magazine reading and drinkage at b&n. was not far behind cow for a while (probably unbeknownst to him). i gather he took back roads home after getting off of 91.

b&n ftw

Wish eye got a good shot of Hartford (actually, it's possible i did; will have to check...). driving into hartford was like walking into the emerald city. :o :mrgreen:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: 2nd Annual Regional SS CT Meat '16

Post by tankinbeans »

Well boogers. There aren't any members in or around Minnesota. Ich weine.

The proper German translation for your car is Das blaue kaputte langweilige Tier.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Well boogers. There aren't any members in or around Minnesota. Ich weine.

The proper German translation for your car is Das blaue kaputte langweilige Tier.
very interesting...and your car would be "auf der Straße tot aufgefunden" :twisted: :) 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Er hat keine EPC lichter schon geschienen und er hat 23k miles.

Was noch? :lol:
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

I never said when she would die :twisted: , and EPC light doesn't cause my car to die on the road.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:I never said when she would die :twisted: , and EPC light doesn't cause my car to die on the road.
And Ms. Frizzle drives pretty epically herself. Hasn't died yet.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:
potownrob wrote:I never said when she would die :twisted: , and EPC light doesn't cause my car to die on the road.
And Ms. Frizzle drives pretty epically herself. Hasn't died yet.
yet. :twisted:
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

The only vehicle that's ever left me stranded was a GM trash heap.I'll take my Spanish-German American funbox over a burrito munching whoore any day. :mrgreen: :P :twisted:
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:The only vehicle that's ever left me stranded was a GM trash heap.I'll take my Spanish-German American funbox over a burrito munching whoore any day. :mrgreen: :P :twisted:
those is fighting words right there sir. be happy i'm too busy to drive out west this weekend. :o :twisted:
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Watch out for the signs.

17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Watch out for the signs.

yeah, Rosary beads have to be one of the most misused items in history; it's not meant to be worn around your neck or hanging from the rear view mirror. i have a scapular hanging from my mirror, which probably isn't much more proper, but it does let me know when i'm going or turning too fast. 8)
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

leave it to FORD...

:lol: :oops: :roll: :oops: :lol:
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Probably a Fiesta meant for young urchins. I haven't seen that BS in any of the ones I've driven. Clifford didn't have that and neither did Ms. Frizzle.

In fairness it's in every owner's manual for every car I've ever driven available with a manual. You can check it out in yours if you're curious. Apparently the writers of owners manuals think it's their job to teach people to drive.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:Probably a Fiesta meant for young urchins. I haven't seen that BS in any of the ones I've driven. Clifford didn't have that and neither did Ms. Frizzle.

In fairness it's in every owner's manual for every car I've ever driven available with a manual. You can check it out in yours if you're curious. Apparently the writers of owners manuals think it's their job to teach people to drive.
yeah, i believe you. never read owners manuals though, except for certain under-assembled and complicated desk chairs. The couple of things I opened the Beast's manual for it wouldn't tell me how to do - it told me to go to the dealer... :x :evil: :cry:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Seems like excellent advice.

It's always popular to say "they wouldn't have put that warning label there if someone didn't do it wrong", but much of the time I think it's just imaginative lawyers trying to prevent crap. In this case, I bet Ford decided that it would cost less to print those cards than to keep covering transmission repairs.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD