Up for a meet?

comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Up for a meet?

Post by comingbackdown »

Since I got a total of... *counts* three responses in the U.S. Northeast section... I'll repost it here. (My apologies for using up more space)...
Anybody near Ohio up for a meet? I can't drive out of state, since I only have a learner's permit... :cry:

I know there are some Shifters in New York. I know there's got to be a couple in Indiana. I know that there are a few in Ohio. Chime on in, folks!

I'd like to meet y'all.

I think it'd be freakin' awesome to (someday) have a big 'ol Standard Shift convention... Gather as many members together as we possibly can... That would be freeeeeeeeeeeeakin' shweeeeeeeeet!

Anyway, if you're anywhere near Ohio, and up for a meet. Let me know.
:D

Next time I go to visit my sis and her boyfriend, I'll (hopefully) be meeting up with the Standardshifters in Florida. :D I have one word to say to that. Aaaalright!

(John, if you happen to come across this thread, check this out. If I manage to get down there again, I'll let you know. My sister thinks that her boyfriend would enjoy attending a "Meet of the Standardshifters" as I so wierdly put it... We'd be coming in his GTO, which he might let me drive... :twisted: Damn... I love that car!)
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Lynxmann81
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Lynxmann81 »

Anybody near Ohio up for a meet?
I might be up for a meet. I'll admit I'm fairly jealous of the Orlando meet. They must have had a great time. I'm about 200 miles east of the OH-PA border so it shouldn't be too bad of a drive. A friend lives in Akron so maybe I could visit him too.
I can't drive out of state, since I only have a learner's permit...
How long do you have until you can get your driver's license?

Ian
Ian
2002 Steel Gray BMW M3 6MT
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

Lynxmann81 wrote:
Anybody near Ohio up for a meet?
I might be up for a meet. I'll admit I'm fairly jealous of the Orlando meet. They must have had a great time. I'm about 200 miles east of the OH-PA border so it shouldn't be too bad of a drive. A friend lives in Akron so maybe I could visit him too.
I can't drive out of state, since I only have a learner's permit...
How long do you have until you can get your driver's license?

Ian
Well, I have to have driver's ed, since I'm under 18. However, it costs $400. Since my parents' idiot employers didn't set the tax withholding right on their wages, my parents have $1200 to pay into the damn taxes... No driver's ed for me... Basically, I'm going to have to get another permit when the current one expires, and wait 'til my birthday in December. Then I'll be 18, and I can just take the test. Now I'll have to post a thread about "Should I get driver's ed anyway?"...

I live in Ashland County, Ohio. That's actually not such a bad drive... Be easier to meet in the middle, except I don't know much outside of the two or three surrounding counties... :(
violinandbass87

Post by violinandbass87 »

im in

MI
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

comingbackdown wrote:Now I'll have to post a thread about "Should I get driver's ed anyway?"...
Pfff...I know I'll get razzed for this, but screw that. Driver's Ed, at least when I took it, was a joke. You sit in a room, listening to a high school coach, or gym teacher, or whoever play videos that show horrible, blood-puss-and-brain filled accidents all the while saying "Don't be nervous when you drive..." WTF?? How could I not be? :lol: :lol:

Your best bet, in my opinion, is if you don't need to take an official class, don't. Go out and practice. Have someone with you who can drive, in case you get into awkward situations, so they can help you through them, and beef up on learning the signs.
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

Nychold wrote:
comingbackdown wrote:Now I'll have to post a thread about "Should I get driver's ed anyway?"...
Pfff...I know I'll get razzed for this, but screw that. Driver's Ed, at least when I took it, was a joke. You sit in a room, listening to a high school coach, or gym teacher, or whoever play videos that show horrible, blood-puss-and-brain filled accidents all the while saying "Don't be nervous when you drive..." WTF?? How could I not be? :lol: :lol:

Your best bet, in my opinion, is if you don't need to take an official class, don't. Go out and practice. Have someone with you who can drive, in case you get into awkward situations, so they can help you through them, and beef up on learning the signs.
It definitely was a joke. I remember taking it; we played a football trivia game for about 3/4 of the class. It helps on your insurance costs, though (at least around here).
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

News!
I've talked to my parents about it, and they have no problem with me organizing a meet. :D
Now I'm all excited!
8)

Alright. Soooo... As soon as the weather warms up, I'd like to start organizing. :D This is so frickin' cool!!!!!

Alright... I'm going to check the weather forecast in the A.M., and see what I'm up against... I'm also going to fix my car tomorrow...

I hope other Ohioans find this thread... Or anybody else in the surrounding states who might be interested, for that matter. :D

I'm soooooooooooooo stoked!!!!!
96ragtop
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 96ragtop »

I have not posted on here in like, years. So I got your pm through my email though.

What are these meets all about and what exactly do you do? There are lots of people who drive stick so I guess I'm just not understanding the point of getting together aside from "Hey you drive stick, me too, wow!"

Sorry, not trying to sound cynical just not understanding :?

If there was a good reason for a meet I'm not opposed to it.

Oh, and yeah driver's ed was a WASTE! But I got my license 3 days after I turned 16, no way in hell I was going to wait 2 more years. The actual road test here in Ohio is pretty easy I think. I'd get some cones and practice the manuevrability part on your own. And study your signs. You should be just fine then! I easily passed everything the first attempt, not sure if drivers ed helped much. It might've helped some on the written test I suppose but not worth the money.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

96ragtop wrote:I have not posted on here in like, years. So I got your pm through my email though.

What are these meets all about and what exactly do you do? There are lots of people who drive stick so I guess I'm just not understanding the point of getting together aside from "Hey you drive stick, me too, wow!"

Oh, and yeah driver's ed was a WASTE! But I got my license 3 days after I turned 16, no way in hell I was going to wait 2 more years. The actual road test here in Ohio is pretty easy I think. I'd get some cones and practice the manuevrability part on your own. And study your signs. You should be just fine then! I easily passed everything the first attempt, not sure if drivers ed helped much. It might've helped some on the written test I suppose but not worth the money.
The point of a meet is more than just "Hey I drive a stick". To make friends, and find people with whom you share common interests.
Plus, according to your location, I'm literally just a ways away.
I'm in Ashland. :D
aakburns
Senior Standardshifter

Post by aakburns »

Bleh, I'd goto this meet, but I am in wisconsin. Just don't have the money or time to travel that far.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Get it all together! I'm excited for more SS meets - looking forward to seeing what happens! :D
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
OzZyMaN2438
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Mits Evo MR

Post by OzZyMaN2438 »

Are there any shifters near Boise/Twin Falls, ID area.....yea right in my dreams....

...sh*t....
2010 Evo X MR- Rally Red :http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3863366
violinandbass87

Post by violinandbass87 »

comingbackdown wrote:
96ragtop wrote:I have not posted on here in like, years. So I got your pm through my email though.

The point of a meet is more than just "Hey I drive a stick". To make friends, and find people with whom you share common interests.
good thing the point of a meet is more than just "hey i drive a stick." otherwise, i couldn't go. lol
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

scion_xA_gf wrote:
comingbackdown wrote:

good thing the point of a meet is more than just "hey i drive a stick." otherwise, i couldn't go. lol
You're quite welcome here, stick or not. If I can get this thing put together, I really hope you'll be able to attend. :D
We three musicians... I'm sure you and and scion_xa and I could jabber for hours about music... My parents would enjoy that, I'm sure... :lol: It's bad enough with me and my guitar teacher... :lol: (so much guitar and music speak flies back and forth, my parents heads begin to spin...) :lol:
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

Good news everyone! Ohio is beginning to warm up quite nicely!!!!!
If everyone interested would pile on dates that you'll be available, we can begin co-ordinating things. And, John, if you happen to catch sight of this, YOU'VE CREATED A MONSTER! A good monster, but a monster nonetheless.

Anyway, when would everybody be available?
LET'S DO DIS THANG!!!!!!!!!! 8)

I'm a-okay for it. Full permission, and all that jazz.
Ready to begin planning anytime. :D