*NYC Members!*

NjSi
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Civic Si (FG2)

Post by NjSi »

potownrob wrote:
NjSi wrote:anybody want to meet up and cruise to the meet? if there are more people from jersey ?
sounds like a nice idea but i will probably opt to come down through the bronx straight into the island to avoid traffic on the si expressway, belt etc... though on second thought, that might not be so bad... where would you wanna meet up? i'd be coming from upstate ny probably via thruway to 17 to 80 to turnpike

Why would you go through that hassle? If your already coming form Upstate NY it is so much easier to come through the bronx, honestly i have no idea how im getting there, but my garmin will.

PM me if you want to meet up somewhere but i think we are taking different ways?

Oh and john! i think the new mazda 3s guy lives in jersey so i shot him a pm, idk if he has been on since but maybe u can try. The more the better!
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Is that mazdaj? I'll shoot him a PM with the thread link. Good thinking!
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
buster
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Prius

Post by buster »

Johnf514 wrote:
buster wrote:I'd love to join you guys, but employment has its drawbacks. :(
Any chance you can take an afternoon of vacation for us? :D
I'd love to use one of my 49 unused vacation days (no kidding...last year I ended up with 90 unused vacation days), but I work in the greeting card business and taking a day off 5 days before a major holiday would mean risking termination!

Hope you guys have a blast and hope the weather is good!
"and Leon's getting laaaarrrrgggggeeeerrrr"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

NjSi wrote:
potownrob wrote:
NjSi wrote:anybody want to meet up and cruise to the meet? if there are more people from jersey ?
sounds like a nice idea but i will probably opt to come down through the bronx straight into the island to avoid traffic on the si expressway, belt etc... though on second thought, that might not be so bad... where would you wanna meet up? i'd be coming from upstate ny probably via thruway to 17 to 80 to turnpike

Why would you go through that hassle? If your already coming form Upstate NY it is so much easier to come through the bronx, honestly i have no idea how im getting there, but my garmin will.

PM me if you want to meet up somewhere but i think we are taking different ways?

Oh and john! i think the new mazda 3s guy lives in jersey so i shot him a pm, idk if he has been on since but maybe u can try. The more the better!
it's actually not that out of the way for me, and i've always gone down through jersey to get to my grandma's on staten island. from nj to li you just get onto the si expressway and take that over the verrazano narrows bridge into brooklyn and then take either the belt or bqe toward li. belt runs into the southern state (and you could get off several other highways on the way) and the bqe runs into the lie. in my experience the belt tends to be less trafficky. if we meet up on the way, i'm gonna have to take video of you doing a "ricer" flyby, ricer in quotes since your car is lighter and has at least 100 horses on me yet it'll look a lot like a ricer flyby in a civic :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

Quick update - I may not be staying in Long Island anymore. I might be in East Orange, NJ. Not sure yet - we're having some issues with accommodations. Either way, I will be in NYC from the 17th to the 21st and the 20th is still planned to be the cruise. :)
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter

Post by NjSi »

Johnf514 wrote:Quick update - I may not be staying in Long Island anymore. I might be in East Orange, NJ. Not sure yet - we're having some issues with accommodations. Either way, I will be in NYC from the 17th to the 21st and the 20th is still planned to be the cruise. :)
East orange is literally a hop step and a jump away from me, thats a bad neighborhood though...very bad. Id be more than happy to meet you somewhere near , but i don't venture into east orange unless im driving through in which case i tend to take the highway. I'm in Livingston NJ.

That drive to West orange takes me literally 2 minutes. SO John, if your going to be there id be more than happy to set something up! Or maybe we can cruise into the city. Ill pm u my cell number, when the date gets closer.
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

Bad area, eh? Can y'all recommend anywhere to stay that would be better and within an hour train ride to NYC? :|
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
DrNick
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Ford Fusion SEL V6

Post by DrNick »

Unfortunately, it's looking like I'm gonna be cramming for and taking 4 finals during the week that you're coming, John. I may not be able to make it after all :(

As for a place within an hour by train, I'd say White Plains (upstate NY) or possibly somewhere in Connecticut/New Jersey. I'm not familiar with either of those areas, so I'll wait for other members' input.
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter

Post by NjSi »

Johnf514 wrote:Bad area, eh? Can y'all recommend anywhere to stay that would be better and within an hour train ride to NYC? :|
There is a train station in millburn, which is again 2 minutes from livingston, there is a ramada in east hanover which is fine, and if you go further up Route 10 there are more hotel's up in Randolph. ill do some research but i have to head to class now, ill post up in a little
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

That's NjSi. I just got a call from my friend that lives in Farmingdale - we may not have to stay in East Orange after all. I'll keep you guys posted, most likely this will be a day-by-day thing until I actually get to NYC.

Quick question - my car is tinted 15% (dark) all around with a 6-inch strip on the windshield. Will I encounter any problems in NJ/NY with there strict tinting laws?
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

i forget the specific law (something like 5 or 15% max) but my friend had much darker tint than that on his 93 altima and had no problems up here. this was a few years ago though (has since sold that car).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter

Post by NjSi »

Johnf514 wrote:That's NjSi. I just got a call from my friend that lives in Farmingdale - we may not have to stay in East Orange after all. I'll keep you guys posted, most likely this will be a day-by-day thing until I actually get to NYC.

Quick question - my car is tinted 15% (dark) all around with a 6-inch strip on the windshield. Will I encounter any problems in NJ/NY with there strict tinting laws?
where i live cops don't really care about the tints, if you get pulled over, just roll you front two windows down and they can't do anything. just drive smart and you fine. Most often they let people out of state go, and even with that they give people in state endless "first warning to fix"

New Jersey Tint Law Enacted: 2003
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW JERSEY?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New Jersey, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
Windshield No tint is allowed on the windshield.
Front Side Windows No tint can be applied legally to this window.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

those are the rules in jersey, not sure about NYC
cerealkiller
Junior Standardshifter

Post by cerealkiller »

Johnf514 wrote:Bad area, eh? Can y'all recommend anywhere to stay that would be better and within an hour train ride to NYC? :|
There are a few hotels in New Rochelle in Westchester County all of which are walking distance from the Metro North station and is a 30 min train ride into Manhattan. I'm new here I just saw this thread and I live really close to NYC so I thought I would add something.
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

Thanks cerealkiller - you're more than welcomed to make it out to the meet n' ride. I am definitely looking up other hotels in the Long Island area. Looks like East NJ just isn't a good place to be.

Thanks everyone on the tint advice - I'll be driving smart and just keep the windows down as much as possible. :)
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
NjSi
Senior Standardshifter

Post by NjSi »

Johnf514 wrote:Thanks cerealkiller - you're more than welcomed to make it out to the meet n' ride. I am definitely looking up other hotels in the Long Island area. Looks like East NJ just isn't a good place to be.

Thanks everyone on the tint advice - I'll be driving smart and just keep the windows down as much as possible. :)
well, smart driving, yes, but windows down in freezing temperatures...not so much, if you get pulled over roll those suckers down.