no cell phones while driving

Takigu
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 98 s-10 4.3L vortec v6

no cell phones while driving

Post by Takigu »

as of july 1 ohio is making it illegal to drive while on your cell phone (except with a "hands free device" aka bluetooth).

i for one think thats a good idea. i once almost hit the person in front of me while on the phone, now i wont even touch my phone while driving. heck if i have my bluetooth on i can tell my phone what to type in a text (i think alot of phones can). I've seen this coming for quite awhile actually.

post your opinions on this
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Re: no cell phones while driving

Post by scionkid »

if i have my bluetooth on i can tell my phone what to type in a text (i think alot of phones can)
What happened to leaving a voice message?

The same happens in California, it's about time.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

lol
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

been like that in nyc for a long ass time
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

thats fine with me. so what ur saying is, if you don't answer the phone, ur prolly driving? thats cool
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
PILL
Senior Standardshifter

Post by PILL »

Studies show that Bluetooth devices don't help at all in improving the safety of driving while on a phone. You're still doing the same distracting things, only now without your hands.
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Takigu »

wannabe wrote:thats fine with me. so what ur saying is, if you don't answer the phone, ur prolly driving? thats cool
either that or working.

PILL wrote:Studies show that Bluetooth devices don't help at all in improving the safety of driving while on a phone. You're still doing the same distracting things, only now without your hands.
and actually its less distracting for some people because you have both hands free to drive meaning you have more control normally
kamesama980
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kamesama980 »

the arguement (that I completely agree with and have been pushing since I was exposed to cell phones) is that the simple act of removing my hand from the steering wheel does not automatically make my driving half as good or distract me. the distraction is that half your mind is now thinking about a conversation instead of driving. it doesn't matter if it's on a cell phone in your hand, handsfree device, or person next to you in the car. you're still distracted.

here's the article I read a month or 2 ago: http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/hughes/24247
The truth about using hands-free devices behind the wheel
Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:30AM EDT
Many states (including California, New York, Washington, the District of Columbia, and Connecticut) have imposed laws requiring drivers to use hands-free devices to make phone calls. New Jersey even made violation of its law a first offense. But several studies over the years have found that talking on a hands-free device is not much safer than talking on a hand-held device.
A study by the American Psychological Association of over 500 drivers found that talking on a cell phone cut activity in areas of the brain used for driving by half. Drivers focusing on a phone conversation had slower reaction times, were less likely to recall objects on the road, and had a hard time noticing traffic around them. Researchers also noted that hands-free devices in the car posed the same hazards as hand-held devices.
A different study by the University of Utah tested drivers' use of hands-free cell phones on the road, and found (to no one's surprise) that chatty drivers were the main cause of traffic problems. Apparently, drivers talking on a cell phone were less likely to change lanes, and spent more time following slow-moving vehicles.
The latest research by Carnegie Mellon University questions hands-free laws, and whether their existence only gives drivers a false sense of safety. To test this theory, neuroscientist Marcel Just studied 29 volunteers who used a driving simulator inside an MRI brain scanner. The volunteers were tasked with driving a car along a virtual winding road, with and without distractions.
Researchers found that drivers would hit the guardrail and veer out of the center of the lane more often when they tried to answer true or false questions. Brain scans of the distracted drivers showed brain activity decreased in areas that process visual and spatial information, functions that are crucial for navigation. Once again, this proved that participating in a conversation is all it took to reduce a driver's focus on the road.
As reported in This is London, Just concluded:
1. Drivers need to keep not only their hands on the wheel, they  also have to keep their brains on the road. Drivers' seats in many vehicles are becoming highly instrumented cockpits and during difficult driving situations they require the undivided attention of the driver's brain.
2. The clear implication is that engaging in a demanding conversation could jeopardise judgment and reaction time.
So while there may be laws out there that ban the use of hand-held phones behind the wheel, the truth is the road will remain a dangerous place as long as drivers continue to carry phone conversations on hands-free devices - so be careful out there.
I drive one-handed all the time. heck in my cressida with uber power steering in the snow half the time i steer with one hand just fine. (since you don't know me or it, it's a RWD and I can make it dance in the snow.)
-Russ
2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0l M6 4x4
1990 Toyota Cressida 3.0l M5
1994 Pontiac Firebird LT1 M6
1970 Volkwagen Beetle M4
1990 Suzuki VX800 SM5
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

meh this is stupid... i txt while driving but not when driving thru the hills, I need full attention then. Talking on the bluetooth phone headset is same as talking to passenger, if you can't do it w/o crashing u fail.
<3 fwd
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Bawked wrote:meh this is stupid... i txt while driving but not when driving thru the hills, I need full attention then. Talking on the bluetooth phone headset is same as talking to passenger, if you can't do it w/o crashing u fail.
Fail. It's been shown that talking on a phone takes your attention off the road, and it's not the same as talking to a passenger.

That said, I saw at least ten people today who will probably have tickets, eh, probably by the fourth.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Takigu »

comingbackdown wrote:
Bawked wrote:meh this is stupid... i txt while driving but not when driving thru the hills, I need full attention then. Talking on the bluetooth phone headset is same as talking to passenger, if you can't do it w/o crashing u fail.
Fail. It's been shown that talking on a phone takes your attention off the road, and it's not the same as talking to a passenger.

That said, I saw at least ten people today who will probably have tickets, eh, probably by the fourth.
speaking of tickets i got busted last night for doing 87 in a 50 but the dumb-ass statie wrote on the ticket 87 in a 55 lol that will prolly save me like 50 bucks unfortunately i prolly cant make it to the meet if i lose my license, which i prolly will, hopefully just till i turn 18 which is like 3 weeks from now
blauenlanze
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2017 BMW M240i 6MT

Post by blauenlanze »

Even taking my eyes off the road for a second to look over my shoulder gets me paranoid about whether someone just ran in front of me or suddenly decided to stop, doing that every couple of seconds while texting would be scary.
2007 BMW M240i 6MT
2006 Honda S2000 6MT (old)
2001 Honda Prelude SH 5MT (old)
2000 Toyota Camry V6 (old) auto
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

The whole argument is stupid. It isn't the government's job to protect cellphone-using idiots from themselves. Or it shouldn't be, anyway.

The only reason they're doing it is to rake in more money.
I drive a Phantom Black 2005 GTO M6. I commute in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

comingbackdown wrote:

plz back up with evidence, and not someones blog plz cause thats not scientifically backed.
<3 fwd
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Takigu wrote:speaking of tickets i got busted last night for doing 87 in a 50 but the dumb-ass statie wrote on the ticket 87 in a 55 lol that will prolly save me like 50 bucks unfortunately i prolly cant make it to the meet if i lose my license, which i prolly will, hopefully just till i turn 18 which is like 3 weeks from now
we kept telling you to slow the fck down, but nope. you went and got a ticket...

don't get that plastic taken away, now.

aaron: "was ur dad pissed?" (in otherwords, did your dad break ur neck and drag u behind his truck?")
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff