Post by Draklen »

So who felt it and where were you?

I did and was in Pasadena.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Re: 5.8 Chino Hills Earthquake 7/29/2008 11:42 AM

Post by six »

Hope you and everyone near you are okay.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Hyundai GenCoupe

Post by Draklen »

Yeah, we're okay. We're the type that doesn't really care about earthquakes unless it's stong enough to roll us out of bed... or there is damage near by. But we still check on each other just in case because you never know.
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

^ Same here.

Funny story: We had a similar magnitude earthquake up here in southern Bay Area in the fall last year, and it was so funny: I was in class at that time, and with me being in an Engineering program, there are a lot of international learners on visas in class. When the earthquake struck, you could tell who was from California and who was from somewhere else... the ones that weren't from California panicked and ran straight out the door while the ones that were from here just sat there, wondering if the earthquake was going to get more intense or to just continue what they were doing. I LOL'd, sitting in my seat, wondering what the big deal was while people were yelling at me "WTF are you doing?" hehehe

At least we got let out of class early. :lol:

Earthquakes always bring up questions to me from people who are not from here, asking how I can live in a place where something as "horrifying" as earthquakes can happen at anytime, without warning. I ask them back, "Where do you live? Florida? Georgia? The Carolinas? I ask you, how do you live with your tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, that happen EVERY YEAR, with warning, but you just have to watch it destroy your house. Then go through the process of rebuilding!" THAT, I do not understand. Compared to that, living in a place that only receives earthquakes seems to be a blessing...
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

^ wait until the "big one" hits. :shock:

i dont remember the last time i felt one. not saying i want to feel one again, but just that its not really that common at all.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

damn what a trip that must be having the ground shaking beneath you. :shock: (edit: lol wrong smiley)
Last edited by subzero on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FREE ROMAN!
Draklen
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 Hyundai GenCoupe

Post by Draklen »

I was talking with a lady that was in the on the east side or the states for college and the friends she made asked her how she could stand earthquakes and that they would rather have the tornadoes and things. She didn't answer. They she asked me what I would have said. I replied, "At least a small earthquake won't kill me. Plus they don't happen enough to make me worry."
VTECaddict wrote:i dont remember the last time i felt one. not saying i want to feel one again, but just that its not really that common at all.
As for the big one, I don't really care. It's something we can't control so if I get sent into the ocean (which won't happen anyways) or get crushed or sent into the earth mantle, oh wells. They said "the big one" was supposed to happen like 10 years ago and still nothing. If it comes, it comes. Can't really prepare for something that big that may or may not happen in my life time.
subzero wrote:damn what a trip that must be having the ground shaking beneath you.
Eh it's like being in a trucks bed while on a bumpy road. IF that rough. This one was kinda rollie. Same kind of feeling when you start to get dizzy but aren't quite there yet.
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

subzero wrote:damn what a trip that must be having the ground shaking beneath you. :shock: (edit: lol wrong smiley)
If you're at the top of a tall building, it's like you're on a ship out at sea, swaying back and forth. A building. ON LAND. THAT's a trip.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Glad to hear you guys are OK. Truth be told, I was kinda hoping for a light earthquake while we were in SF. I've never been in one. :P
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar