Does anyone here autocross or race on a circuit?

Autocross, Road Racing, Rallycross, Rally...
gizmo
Master Standardshifter
Cars: tC

Re: Does anyone here autocross or race on a circuit?

Post by gizmo »

$278 plus balance and rotation.

woooooooo.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

I paid about that much for all 4 plus alignment. (Free tires for life FTW!)
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

FREE TIRES????? HOW?!!?!??!!??
Nychold
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nychold »

My dealership has a 'deal'. If you buy a new car from them, and pay them to maintain it, whenever your tires run near the end of their lives, you get them free. The stipulations, other than maintenance, are road hazard isn't covered and you have to pay for the tax on the tires, and all the additional tire related stuff (balance, rotation, alignment, etc.) I think my total for the tires was $272 something.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Nychold wrote:My dealership has a 'deal'. If you buy a new car from them, and pay them to maintain it, whenever your tires run near the end of their lives, you get them free. The stipulations, other than maintenance, are road hazard isn't covered and you have to pay for the tax on the tires, and all the additional tire related stuff (balance, rotation, alignment, etc.) I think my total for the tires was $272 something.
Unfortunately what you get is quite a mediocre tire with a lot of compromises, which frankly, quite often sucks. It's a shame that most regular cars don't come with good tires stock.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Nychold
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nychold »

AHTOXA wrote:
Nychold wrote:My dealership has a 'deal'. If you buy a new car from them, and pay them to maintain it, whenever your tires run near the end of their lives, you get them free. The stipulations, other than maintenance, are road hazard isn't covered and you have to pay for the tax on the tires, and all the additional tire related stuff (balance, rotation, alignment, etc.) I think my total for the tires was $272 something.
Unfortunately what you get is quite a mediocre tire with a lot of compromises, which frankly, quite often sucks. It's a shame that most regular cars don't come with good tires stock.
Yokohomas are mediocre? ...Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention, part of their agreement is that whatever tire came on the car is the tire they replace it with. Since mine came with the S32As, I have free Yokos for life.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Nychold wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:
Yokohomas are mediocre? ...Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention, part of their agreement is that whatever tire came on the car is the tire they replace it with. Since mine came with the S32As, I have free Yokos for life.
Unfortunately, yes. Factory tires are cheap and not representative of the factory/maker itself. Car manufacturers get the tire at little cost.

Here's the tirerack rating on Yokohama S32A.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... Model=S32A

Sorry, man. They are pretty bad.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Nychold
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nychold »

Yeah, but these tires are also OEM for my car. If only I had just told them to put them on. :(

Edit: Actually, I was reading those reviews, and I think they're full of crap. I drove mine for 35k+ miles, and was barely down to half way on the tires, and I lit them up several times. They also hydroplaned less than any other car I've driven. But, meh...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Nychold wrote:Yeah, but these tires are also OEM for my car. If only I had just told them to put them on. :(

Edit: Actually, I was reading those reviews, and I think they're full of crap. I drove mine for 35k+ miles, and was barely down to half way on the tires, and I lit them up several times. They also hydroplaned less than any other car I've driven. But, meh...
Take the reviews with a grain of salt, as always. The only reason I rely on tirerack.com's rating is because after buying and comparing multiple sets of tires on my own cars I have discovered that the ratings are fairly accurate in relation to one another.

They may not be as bad as they seem to be, but it gives you a good indication that they are on the lower end. One thing holds true - OE tires are always pretty low end.

I really don't wanna sound like an ass but dealership service is often pretty highly priced and it's better to do half your regular maintenance either at an independent shop or yourself. In the end it may be cheaper to buy tires on your own rather than to have maintenance done by the dealer.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Nychold
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nychold »

Oh I certainly agree, and won't be taking my car into the dealership after my last 'free' oil change thing is up. I wanted to upgrade the wheels and tires at the same time, when the tires ran out...but money has a way of slipping away from me. :lol:

But if you compare them to the other OE option "Bridgestone Turanzas", you'll see why I don't think of them as low end. They're not an upgrade tire, but for stock, they're better than the alternative. :lol:
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

goddamnit this reminds me i need to go to a junkyard and pop a lug stud out of a probe cuz i snapped one off

also, if you arent comfortable HTing already, stay off the track otherwise youll end up in the grass or san pit if your lucky. a track day is where you use the skills already learned to enjoy yourself and your car. learning to HT while driving around a track at high speeds is sorta like learning to skate in the middle of a hockey game
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

AHTOXA wrote:One thing holds true - OE tires are always pretty low end.
on "regular" cars maybe, but high performance cars usually come with pretty good high performance tires. the STi comes with Bridgestone Potenze RE070s, which i hear are really awesome in the dry. my car had some crappy all seasons on it when i bought it (used) so i've never driven on them.

the OE tires that came on my wife's Toyota Matrix only lasted like 5k miles, and sucked from the start.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

if you ever spend 270 dollars on one street tire, off yourself right now so you dont contaminate the gene pool. DOT road race slicks arent even that expensive and you will be hard pressed to find better handling stickier tires than that
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

permabanned wrote:also, if you arent comfortable HTing already, stay off the track otherwise youll end up in the grass or san pit if your lucky. a track day is where you use the skills already learned to enjoy yourself and your car. learning to HT while driving around a track at high speeds is sorta like learning to skate in the middle of a hockey game
I complete agree with you about that. However, I don't plan on driving the car into each turn on the brink of control, I plan on starting off at 85% and slowly increasing my intensity. I can HT all day on a city street, but I'm not going to drive wrecklessly on a city street when the same type of driving is applaudable on a racetrack. Meaning, if I can't master the technique before I get to the race track then how shall I master it?

Obviously, the moral of the story is, my first time out I won't be fastest guy, in my particular car, on the course. However, after an hours worth of time, assuming my learning curve remains constant with the past, I should be able to drive the car in pretty deep without missing my marks.

Right now, If I were heading toward a turn at 50 mph, and I need to enter the turn at 10mph, I always seem to reach 10 mph 30 feet before I need to turn, and I'm not even braking at the car's threshold. I need a track to push the car, and if I push it maturely, I'll gain knowledge without losing control and subsequently equipment .

Agreed?
gizmo
Master Standardshifter

Post by gizmo »

permabanned wrote:if you ever spend 270 dollars on one street tire, off yourself right now so you dont contaminate the gene pool. DOT road race slicks arent even that expensive and you will be hard pressed to find better handling stickier tires than that
ROFL.

If I don't want to swap all of my tires out, I have no choice but to splurge on that POS. That is, of course, unless someone want's to reccomend four 215/45ZR17 tires. Or I could just replace the rear two, which would be more monetarily feasible, and then replace the front two when I get more cash.

You tell me.

I'm open to ideas here!!!