Hey! New Member from Georgia

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Hey! New Member from Georgia

Post by potownrob »

Not to get technical with the noob, but I take slight issue with your signature claim, that you're not in control if you're not in gear. I think that depends on the context. When you're racing on a track, yeah, you'll almost always be out of control while you're not in gear but, when driving around in the streets, this is often not the case. I would cite examples, but I'm way too tired and must sleep before job #2.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Puchrider
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: BMW e30, e36. LincolnMK8

Post by Puchrider »

potownrob wrote:Not to get technical with the noob, but I take slight issue with your signature claim, that you're not in control if you're not in gear. I think that depends on the context. When you're racing on a track, yeah, you'll almost always be out of control while you're not in gear but, when driving around in the streets, this is often not the case. I would cite examples, but I'm way too tired and must sleep before job #2.
Haha, it's a quote from truck driving class. I'll add some quotes and the like
"If you're out of gear, you're out of control" - Johnny Mock

Banana Tranny Swap: https://sites.google.com/site/bananalincolnmark8/home
Puchrider
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Puchrider »

theholycow wrote:
Puchrider wrote:Can't get much more Oddball than this:

[img]http://ohreally.mnsi.net/coug%20012.jpg[img]
You've found one of the very few cars I've ever disliked having a near-vertical rear window. It just doesn't work with the angles on the rest of the car, and I generally tend to like vertical rear windows. They did it just so the car could have some way to be different from the Thunderbird, I guess.
Indeed it's not for everyone. I like the way the 1987-1988 Cougar looks better, but it wasn't offered in a stick. One thing's for sure, those windows are much easier to clean than the T-Birds long aerodynamic ones. That is a good point, there had to be a difference between the T-Bird and Cougar. They were virtually identical apart from the "gimmicky" things the company did to make the Cougar more posh. That and "nonfunctional luggage racks"

theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I wasn't going to say anything because I'm tired of drama, but I agree with Rob. However, given that context I'd say it makes much more sense since trucks tend to depend heavily on their drivetrain for regular braking, plus I imagine it can be difficult to get back into gear from neutral while rolling...gotta hit that rev match perfectly and choose the right one out of 21 gears or whatever.

And yeah, it wasn't just the T-bird/Cougar. Back in that era everybody was doing platform twins with silly little differences. Chrysler had the least differentiation, GM had the most brand names on the same car and least variation of models offered from one brand to the next, Ford didn't try very hard to give you a reason to care if you had a Mercury or a Ford but they did do more for Lincolns, and even Japanese manufacturers played the game with their budding luxury marques.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Puchrider
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Puchrider »

theholycow wrote:I wasn't going to say anything because I'm tired of drama, but I agree with Rob. However, given that context I'd say it makes much more sense since trucks tend to depend heavily on their drivetrain for regular braking, plus I imagine it can be difficult to get back into gear from neutral while rolling...gotta hit that rev match perfectly and choose the right one out of 21 gears or whatever.

And yeah, it wasn't just the T-bird/Cougar. Back in that era everybody was doing platform twins with silly little differences. Chrysler had the least differentiation, GM had the most brand names on the same car and least variation of models offered from one brand to the next, Ford didn't try very hard to give you a reason to care if you had a Mercury or a Ford but they did do more for Lincolns, and even Japanese manufacturers played the game with their budding luxury marques.
Agree 100%

I have a big fascination with badge engineering. I'm thinking the reason Ford got rid of Mercury and GM got rid of Saturn, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, etc... was the over use of redundancy and the departure of individuality, but I don't know the actual explanation. Probably has to do with money, like everything ultimately does.

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Welcome!
theholycow wrote:... Are you theholycow v2.0? ...
Cow, did you have a child ~20 years ago that you didn't know about? Perhaps accidentally cloned yourself? :lol: :lol:
six wrote:Welcome! and
Puchrider wrote:...don't get me started on what cars I think should be offered in manual!
Well, what cars do you think should be offered in manual? :lol:
D@&% it, six, you had one question not to ask. One! :lol:

I think you'll be just fine around here, Puchrider. Though I can't say that I appreciate the vertical back window on that car...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Puchrider wrote:Feel like I'm fitting in already :D

If I could buy a car brand new (which I never would), I'd get a Pearl-White Mustang Eco-Boost. Can't say I've ever ridden in one, or even a Mustang made since 2005, but I like the look and concept. The boosted four-banger is reminiscent to the Cougar and T-Bird from the 80s.
Yuk.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Puchrider
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Puchrider »

AHTOXA wrote:

If I could buy a car brand new (which I never would), I'd get a Pearl-White Mustang Eco-Boost. Can't say I've ever ridden in one, or even a Mustang made since 2005, but I like the look and concept. The boosted four-banger is reminiscent to the Cougar and T-Bird from the 80s.
Yuk.
Don't like Mustangs? Or don't like four cylinders in Mustangs?

RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Welcome welcome! As the others have said, you're gonna fit in just fine around here :D

Very cool reading about the Mark VIII swap - what a neat project! I'm also a fan of off-the-beaten path sports cars, having owned a genII Taurus SHO and a Saab 9-3 Viggen (same thing as what Watkins drives today). I've always wanted to pick up a Mercury Marauder for a manual swap project... maybe someday.

Anyway, keep up the awesome work!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Puchrider wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:

Yuk.
Don't like Mustangs? Or don't like four cylinders in Mustangs?
I have an irrational prejudice against non-V8 Mustangs. To me, a pony car should always be V8. It's about the sound and experience of the V8, even if a boosted 6 or 4 was faster.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Puchrider
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Puchrider »

Ah I see, makes since. I guess the good thing about the 4 banger is that it sounds better than the V6 (in my opinion). And it's half the V8 haha

Puchrider
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Puchrider »

RITmusic2k wrote:
Anyway, keep up the awesome work!
Thanks! Will do!

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

RITmusic2k wrote:Saab 9-3 Viggen (same thing as what Watkins drives today)
I wish I had something else to drive. Too - not instead of. Wifey wont let me get a Wrangler as a third family vehicle for sharing. I do have access to the race car Volvo though...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

watkins wrote:
RITmusic2k wrote:Saab 9-3 Viggen (same thing as what Watkins drives today)
I wish I had something else to drive. Too - not instead of. Wifey wont let me get a Wrangler as a third family vehicle for sharing. I do have access to the race car Volvo though...
Yeah, it's basically impossible for me to have 1 vehicle that does it all. It will always have a glaring compromise of sorts that is not always easy to overlook. An enthusiast needs more than 1 car, for sure.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Puchrider
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Puchrider »

Inspired by theholycow's 1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT site, I started working on a site for the Mark VIII

https://sites.google.com/site/bananalincolnmark8/home