Newbie with a handful

Just sign up? Feel free to tell your fellow Standardshifters about yourself, your car or anything else.
andytothemax
Junior Standardshifter

Newbie with a handful

Post by andytothemax »

I wanted a BMW M3 ever since purchasing my previous car, a well-used 2001 530i with Steptronic. Although the 530i was a nice car, it just wasn't a satisfying experience shifting the Steptronic manually. It was a good corporate car but not raw enough for my vision of an ideal driving experience.

While I was browsing certified preowned listings I spent a couple of months off and on reading up on how manual transmissions work, operation of the pedals, trouble spots, etc. I watched dozens of Top Gear episodes on youtube to compare cars and listen to the sounds involved. I watched Euro rally/touring videos featuring BMW M3's. I watched videos about clutches and clutch replacement. When I eventually found a certified preowned M3 that fit my wish list completely, I took a test drive this last Saturday.

Prior to my test drive, I had driven a manual on one occasion for about two blocks. I did well, but that car was a Chevy Nova hatchback owned by my then-roommate who needed me to re-park the car from a red zone on the street into a nearby garage when he was too intoxicated to drive. The Nova probably had 80 horsepower. Let's just say I was concerned about purchasing a 333 hp monster with such limited experience.

The test drive was only somewhat embarrassing. Basically I did fine from a standing start although I let the clutch out too quickly and revved too high into second, jerking and bucking us around. I was very nervous but I didn't stall it at all during the drive. Once we got moving past 25 mph or so, things were fine.

I pulled the trigger, and I picked up my new pride and joy yesterday 1/15/08:

Purplish blue, manual trans, with competition package. A real beauty. I was very afraid that the power would simply be too much for me to handle. However, I have been pleasantly surprised in that I keep the throttle pretty light until the clutch engages, then I can hammer it freely when off the clutch. The power is there so it seems like I don't have to do much other than be smooth with the clutch. Hill starts being the most difficult part, I practiced it about 50 times on a familiar steep hill until I got it right. The smell of burnt clutch wasn't so great, but I knew I had to do it. If the grade isn't too steep, I don't need the e-brake but I can do it if needed.

One interesting problem is that while around town I now have difficulty responding to questions/comments from the passenger while driving, because so much of my mental energy is focused on driving the car. That could have safety benefits in that I can't talk on the phone anymore except on the freeway. I get nervous when someone is in the passenger seat or if someone is behind me on the street, and that reduces my performance. I guess performance anxiety is pretty standard in this area.

Another issue is that my starts off the line are very slow, even delicate. I am hopeful that will improve with time, and I chalk it up to learning the basics before trying anything rad. The "Sport" button really sharpens the throttle response, but I told myself I'd master the standard settings first.

I have had a hard time rev-matching downshifts but then again have had the car for just over one day. Upshifts are as smooth as an automatic because I've kept the revs low out of 1st even when letting the clutch out quickly. However, the price is slow starts. I hope I can speed those up.

At the beginning I wasn't sure whether this was a good idea as a first car to learn on. However, in my humble opinion it has been just fine, and I'm glad that I went with my intuition and urge to get the car rather than listening to the voices of doubt! The car is a fantastic blend of performance, comfort, luxury, and everyday driveability. Either way I'm not looking forward to the bill for a replacement clutch...call it $2,000+ with labor. I have no idea how long this clutch will last.

Andy