2010 Chicago Auto Show

All things photo, moving or not.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

2010 Chicago Auto Show

Post by AHTOXA »

I went to the auto show last night on a whim with a buddy. Forgive me as I didn't take my camera with me and just had my phone so the pics are crappy.

Impressions: the show was typical of the later years. There isn't anything new really or groundbreaking, which is what I sort of expected. I went there to look at more realistic vehicles and get a few first impressions.

There is one note I must make, one feeling that I walked away with from the show and it was utter disappointment. I love the Challenger, the new Mustang and even the Camaro I like. Until I sat in them. I hate this new trend now to make the windows so small. The windowsills are so high up that it's difficult to rest an elbow on it even for a tall guy as myself. The Camaro was the worst, actually. Outward visibility was miserable. The side windows are tiny and nothing can be seen. The windshield is also akin to a slit in the tank where the driver looks out. The raised hood of the SS model makes it even worse. The dash line inside is so high, that it feels like sitting in front of a dressed with many cubby holes and gadgets and buttons on it. What happened to the large windows and wedge front ends? Well, perhaps we don't have to go to that extreme but it seems that front ends are becoming the size of an average storage shed in their square footage and the roof lines are dropping thus making the windows small and not very usable. The Challenger seemed to suffer the least from this, and perhaps I could get used to it. I have a lot of love for the Challenger but I walked away with a feeling as if I went in to have a great date with an awesome girl only to find out she has emotional baggage the size of Texas and her mother was bi-polar.

I am so disappointed. Here are some pics from yesterday's show:

And here's yours truly. Notice my Xterra hat. :lol:

I no longer think the Panamera looks ugly. It's grown on me.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Re: 2010 Chicago Auto Show

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

I think I might go wednesday with the GF. And that black Evo you posted is the blue AMS one that always pops up on TCL every now and then.

And I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment about interiors, especially the Camaro. I sat in one at a dealer last year and I was absolutely disgusted by the interior dimensions. Terrible, just terrible.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:The windowsills are so high up that it's difficult to rest an elbow on it even for a tall guy as myself.
I had a feeling the Camaro would be that way, making it a no-go for me...then again, if I ever get to where I can afford a new Camaro, maybe I'll be able to spare some money for a custom interior shop to make me a door panel to fit my needs. How much could that cost, a couple grand?
feeling as if I went in to have a great date with an awesome girl only to find out she has emotional baggage the size of Texas and her mother was bi-polar.
:lol: That's a great analogy.

What's the deal with the lawn chair interior?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

That whole rant about the interior/seating position/etc. of the muscle cars is exactly how I feel. They just arent comfortable to be in.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

The lawn chair interior was on a Suzuki of sorts and it was the typical "beach cruiser" concept that seems to appear from various makers at each show. Had no doors, futuristic, weird looking exterior and two surfboards on the roof. Not sure why I don't have a full shot of it.

I really want to love the Challenger and the new Camaro, however it's hard now.

On the flipside - Ford Taurus SHO. Oh. My. God. The exterior is nice, the twin turbo ecotec is awesome, the interior is superb. It's all right - good outward visibility, great dash layout, great gauges, and great seats. Nothing I didn't like about it. Maybe the rear tail lights' design but just a bit and I could live with that.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

watkins wrote:That whole rant about the interior/seating position/etc. of the muscle cars is exactly how I feel. They just arent comfortable to be in.
I left my goat at my friend's house as I didn't want to take it into the city and I was glad to be in it after sitting in the Camaro.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Comparing the Camaro SS and the Challenger SRT I find that the Challenger looks better inside. The Camaro was bland and I had to think twice what it looked like. It simply did not stand out at all.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

paul34 wrote:But I also think we're moving backwards as far as the safety aspect if we're continuing to make small windows, small windshields, high rear shelves, and gigantic C and A pillars.
Who said anything about safety? It's all about crash testing...that's only one component of safety.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I drove a goat with a set of SLP loudmouths much like in the Challanger vid.

They are loud. Real loud. Vid doesn't do justice to the noise.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

I've never been to an auto show but it's rolling into T.O. this weekend and I'm considering going. People that have gone in the past couple of years have said that it's been a little lackluster so I'm a little apprehensive about spending $20 but it's something to do this weekend so I'll probably go.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
syndony
Junior Standardshifter

Post by syndony »

Why do you guys keep saying GM and Ford its about Toyota and how they obviously lied to Federal Officials. Sounds like jail time and a lot of fines. I wonder how much longer Toyota can keep the employee level this high when they have to start paying the law-suits from the 38 people who died in your cars.
Caramel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: [1999 Volvo S70]

Post by Caramel »

syndony wrote:Why do you guys keep saying GM and Ford its about Toyota and how they obviously lied to Federal Officials. Sounds like jail time and a lot of fines. I wonder how much longer Toyota can keep the employee level this high when they have to start paying the law-suits from the 38 people who died in your cars.
Uh.. okay...

That BMW is pretty sweet looking. Would love to have a wide body kit on a BMW M3... actually I would love to have a BMW M3.