Who here shoots? (Gun related)

All things photo, moving or not.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Re: Who here shoots? (Gun related)

Post by comingbackdown »

AHTOXA wrote:
(3) "Concealed Handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.
This was discussed at the carry class I attended. Here it don't matter much. Technically, even if it's under a see-through white shirt, it's concealed. It can be an obvious silhouette and law enforcement can't say shit other than tut-tutting if you happen to "frighten" some poor idiot.
noob5,000,000 wrote:no manufacturer making a pistol in x54R
Which is a blessing, but only due to two simple facts.
1. It would have to be overbuilt like a sonuvabitch making it stupidly expensive.
2. Three words. Shattered motherf*cking wrist.
I once hip shot an M91/30 one handed. Do not do this, unless you're dual wielding on a closed range (yeah, it was a bit epic) and willing to hurt both wrists (ESPECIALLY your weak side). I'd sooner load up a 12 gauge with a riot length barrel and a turkey choke and put buckshot through it one handed. It would probably hurt less.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Aaron, just don't wear spandex or lycra muscle shirts and shorts while wearing your pistol, please. I might have to borrow it from you to shoot myself in the eyeballs.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

AHTOXA wrote:Aaron, just don't wear spandex or lycra muscle shirts and shorts while wearing your pistol, please. I might have to borrow it from you to shoot myself in the eyeballs.
ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

AHTOXA wrote:Aaron, just don't wear spandex or lycra muscle shirts and shorts while wearing your pistol, please. I might have to borrow it from you to shoot myself in the eyeballs.
Goddamn dude, I don't look that bad and in a year or so I should look built.
That said, the term "The Great Satan" needs to be redefined to point to Spandex and/or Speedos. That shit just is not okay, man.
Had to nix my gym membership for the time being and work without machines, but I distinctly remember the night of the living old people. I'm in there busting my ass on the weights and treadmill, in walk Mr. and Mrs. I may be seventy years old but I'll bitch slap your ass young man. Imagine a septuagenarian in skimpy exercise wear that's loose enough that he has noticable nut swing from thirty feet away, and his equally aged wife whose way too skimpy lady garments are creeping out from under her workout wear. By the time I hit the bench I was tempted to overload the bar and just drop the f*cking thing on my trachea.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Meh, I mountain bike in tight cycling shorts and it's the best thing ever. No chafing and great sweat wicking.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:Meh, I mountain bike in tight cycling shorts and it's the best thing ever. No chafing and great sweat wicking.
There is a guy who has biked to work most days for the past several months. Good for him. Except that he arrives wearing all super tight biking gear... and immediately goes into a meeting where he sits in the corner seat where he isn't pulled up to a table and sits legs open - not changing clothes until after the meeting.

I'm glad I'm not in those meetings.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

No...just....no. That's horrible.

I can't ride into work for two reasons:

- Dallas is very, very bike non-friendly. I live 4 miles from work, but I have to use a highway or a frontage road, which is a highway in itself, and it's hella dangerous with no shoulder to speak of and construction taking whatever there was left of the tiny shoulder area. Also, there are no bike lane markings and many other roads don't have shoulders, walkways or even rideable dirt areas.

- shower. I have to shower if I ride in, because I sweat a lot and I sweat easily.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:No...just....no. That's horrible.

I can't ride into work for two reasons:

- Dallas is very, very bike non-friendly. I live 4 miles from work, but I have to use a highway or a frontage road, which is a highway in itself, and it's hella dangerous with no shoulder to speak of and construction taking whatever there was left of the tiny shoulder area. Also, there are no bike lane markings and many other roads don't have shoulders, walkways or even rideable dirt areas.

- shower. I have to shower if I ride in, because I sweat a lot and I sweat easily.
I ride between work and school (<1 mile each way) so it only takes 6-7 minutes to get from one place to the other when it is ~15 minute walk. In the past few years, Lexington has become MUCH more bike friendly, adding bike lanes where possible, marking downtown roads with a sharrow ("shared lane arrows"), and even making paths for bikers/walkers to share. It's far from perfect, but I like how they are making a concerted effort. I think the drivers are getting the hang of sharing the road with bikers as well. I haven't had any issues and it's rare for a car to be close to me at all, much less dangerously close. The biggest problem is cars waiting at lights overlapping the bike lanes, but I would be stopped at the light as well, so being stopped 2 car lengths back isn't the end of the world (hopefully that improves with time, also).

I was talking with the Mrs. a week or two ago about noticing more and more bikes around town. I think they are making a serious comeback in the area as more than a kid's toy.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Going to bring this thread back on topic.

Looking to pick up a Savage Axis II XP rifle in the next few months. Main uses will be range days and hunting. It is an accurate rifle - far more accurate than me. I am NOT interested in benchrest shooting on getting pubic-hair width groups. I prefer off-hand shooting w/o mechanical assistance.

Thoughts on the rifle? Comes with a good scope (forget the name) and the Accutrigger already installed for $350 brand new. Great deal and great reviews.

I'm deliberating on the caliber. I sort of want a 30-06, but it's somewhat costly to shoot as compared to a .223, but I think a .223 is a bit underpowered for bigger game like deer.

I dunno...
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:Meh, I mountain bike in tight cycling shorts and it's the best thing ever. No chafing and great sweat wicking.
There is a guy who has biked to work most days for the past several months. Good for him. Except that he arrives wearing all super tight biking gear... and immediately goes into a meeting where he sits in the corner seat where he isn't pulled up to a table and sits legs open - not changing clothes until after the meeting.

I'm glad I'm not in those meetings.
Does he drink from the toilet as well?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I have successfully obtained my MI concealed pistol license! I applied on 1/5 and got it yesterday (2/20), which was a pleasant surprise. When I applied, the guy at the office told me they were running 3+ months. 46 days ain't bad.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Congrats! I've had mine for a year now and I still daily carry, where legal. It's like taking your cell with you when going out. You get used to it fast.

Just last night though, I was out on a date and ended up in a 51% place, so I had to run back to the car and disarm.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I bought some ammo today, Winchester white box 9mm. Paid for 200 rounds, got 202.

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Nice!

I finally brought my PPX back out to the range. I've been practicing with my carry pistol (the 9mm Shield) exclusively since I bought it last March, so the PPX hasn't been fired in a while, up to this weekend.

Holy crap. I forgot how much difference ergonomics can make. I'm not a terrible shot, I don't think, but I am SO MUCH more accurate with my PPX vs. the Shield. Even felt cocky enough to push the target out to 25 yards (max indoor range) and get a decent group.

I think I know what it is. I believe the grip on the Shield is just too narrow for my hands. Thinking back to it, it just doesn't feel all that stable in the hand. I'm going to try some Talon Grips and see what they do. If there's nothing I can do to the Shield to make it shoot better for me, I'm going to seriously consider trading it on a Glock 26.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I tried to look at a Glock 19 tonight, but the range/shop I go to doesn't have any in stock. The dude told me that they sell gen 3s for $549, which is a bit more than I wanted to pay (~$500) BUT new gun sales from that shop also comes with free range time valued at around $45, so it all basically works out.