Who here shoots? (Gun related)

All things photo, moving or not.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Who here shoots? (Gun related)

Post by AHTOXA »

Mine is a '38 Izhevsk and it shoots very well. No sticky bolts or any other issues either. I have nothing to compare it to but even an amateur like me can get decent groups at 50 yards. No 100 years ranges locally that will allow steel core ammo.

I'll take some better pictures of it.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

AHTOXA wrote:Mine is a '38 Izhevsk and it shoots very well. No sticky bolts or any other issues either. I have nothing to compare it to but even an amateur like me can get decent groups at 50 yards. No 100 years ranges locally that will allow steel core ammo.

I'll take some better pictures of it.
I still need to get a Mosin. I'll likely get one of the carbine ones with the folding bayonet.

In fact... I just got my tax refund, to the tune of $100, which is close to the price of a Mosin... *opens new tab*

EDIT: Dang prices went up. Russian M44s are going for $200 now :( . I could have sworn they were under $150 a couple months ago.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

The downside to M44's (or upside, depending on how you look at it), are the enormous fireballs out the muzzle, which are mainly due to the shorter barrel. Not sure if the barrel length affects accuracy much in this case either, as it's mostly depended on the condition of the rifling and crowns with these old guns.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I found myself in a Wal-Mart today, so of course I had to check out the ammo situation. Tons of FMJ .40 and .45, with some more premium types of each, but not a single round of 9mm to be found. :?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, I've been having a hard time finding 9mm as well. Even the more reliable but slightly more expensive source, Gander Mountain, has been out of 9mm for a while. Usually they have at least 20-60 boxes of something on the shelf, and most often more than one type with one of them on sale. The other day I was lucky to snag up the last box of 124 grain FMJ for $16
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Considering selling my Mosin with about 300 rounds of ammo to help fund purchase of M&P Shield in 9mm. I'm guessing the most I'll get for the gun and ammo is about $150 combined.

Thoughts? I got a line on the M&P at the local gun shop for $400. That's a helluva good deal. I just need to make sure I call them once in a while, because every shipment they get goes in about 2 days.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:Considering selling my Mosin with about 300 rounds of ammo to help fund purchase of M&P Shield in 9mm. I'm guessing the most I'll get for the gun and ammo is about $150 combined.

Thoughts? I got a line on the M&P at the local gun shop for $400. That's a helluva good deal. I just need to make sure I call them once in a while, because every shipment they get goes in about 2 days.
Didn't you just get it a few months ago?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Right, I did. They aren't rare and I can always get another one, if I want.

Just trying to decide if I want to keep it now vs. getting a new gun now.

The M&P Shield that I'm looking at now will be used more often than the Mosin, that's really the perspective I'm looking at it from. This is because the M&P will become the carry gun.

All that said, I'm still going to try to carry my full-size and see just how well (or not well) I can get away with concealing a full size pistol. People do it and do it often, so I'll give it a shot. I have a good IWB holster to do it, but the grip still pokes a little when I sit down or bend over to pick something up. When standing/walking, nothing can be seen at all.

I might not care about the grip sticking out through the shirt occasionally and just go for it.

Per Texas law:
(3) "Concealed Handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.
So, a bump in the shirt is a bump in the shirt. Most people are oblivious to their surroundings and will never pay attention to a bump in the shirt that disappears in a few seconds once I stand up. Also, I really don't think that as soon as people see a bump in the shirt they think "GUN!". And if they do, according to the law, it has to CLEARLY be identified as a gun, which it cannot be, unless I'm wearing a spandex muscle short or something. I don't own those.

I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to the grip of the gun sticking out occasionally, but I think that's just it - paranoia. Hell, the bump in my shirt could be a colostomy (or whatever it's called) bag.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Interesting to know. Supposedly in Kentucky you don't even have to conceal. A guy walked in to Best Buy (years ago when I worked there) with a large revolver strapped in a hip holster. I pointed it out to our Loss Prevention guy as a "wtf?" moment since I didn't really think random Joe would walk in like that, but he said it was legal.

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, it's legal in a number of states.

It's a heated debate, whether it's a good idea or not to open carry. I know I wouldn't do it even if it were legal.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:Yeah, it's legal in a number of states.

It's a heated debate, whether it's a good idea or not to open carry. I know I wouldn't do it even if it were legal.
Seems like it is asking for extra attention (good and bad) if one open carries. I would never do that either.

For Pony!
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter

Post by noob5,000,000 »

In MI (and I think a number of other states) an 18 year old can open carry a pistol (any firearm, actually), but doesn't qualify for a concealed pistol license until age 21. Pretty 'tarded. I don't think I'd ever open carry, outside of an event specifically supporting the 2A (in which case I'd be carrying a rifle :mrgreen: ). Like others have said, the less attention you draw the better.

Also, concealed carry on school ground is prohibited, but open carry is allowed. So if you'd like to go pick up your kid while carrying, you have to do it openly so the soccer moms get all riled up and demand that evil guns are banned. :roll:
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Believe it or not, open carry was legal in the People's Republic of California up until just this year. However, the outlawing of open carry here is a blessing in disguise, as we are just days away from the Peruta ruling being final (pending any stays, which is doubtful at this point), and California becomes a shall-issue concealed-carry state.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

California is just weird.

Anyway, I was carrying my full size 9 today, and I'm confident that I can do with very little printing even when wearing a polo/t-shirt. I'll keep carrying it to see if any major issues arise while doing so. And if so, I'll revisit the matter of getting another 9mm specifically for carry.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:California is just weird.
This.