Who here shoots? (Gun related)

All things photo, moving or not.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Who here shoots? (Gun related)

Post by AHTOXA »

noob5,000,000 wrote:I tried to look at a Glock 19 tonight, but the range/shop I go to doesn't have any in stock. The dude told me that they sell gen 3s for $549, which is a bit more than I wanted to pay (~$500) BUT new gun sales from that shop also comes with free range time valued at around $45, so it all basically works out.
That's not bad. How many visits do you get for $45? Around here that would get me two visits and a pistol rental ($5) to try something different.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I acquired my G19 today:

Here's a fun coincidence with my AR-15 receiver:
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

I sold some leftover engine parts from my Celica and bought an M&P Shield 9mm. Also ordered a speed loader and a Theis EZ-Clip holster. CHL class is in January. Can't wait to try this thing out at the range!
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

mtheis wrote: Image
Can't wait to try this thing out on the range!
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

mtheis wrote:I sold some leftover engine parts from my Celica and bought an M&P Shield 9mm. Also ordered a speed loader and a Theis EZ-Clip holster. CHL class is in January. Can't wait to try this thing out at the range!
Nice. I carry an M&P Shield in 9mm also in a Theis holster. Admittedly, I am looking to trade my Shield for a Glock 26, A Springfield XD or perhaps a Glock 19.

The Shield is just too narrow in the grip for me. I shoot double stack 9mm guns much better due to width and my larger hands.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

AHTOXA wrote:I am looking to trade my Shield for a Glock 26, A Springfield XD or perhaps a Glock 19.
I looked at the G26, G43, and XDS before buying the Shield. The single stack G43 didn't impress me as much as I thought it would and I had my doubts about being able to conceal any of the double stacks. The XDS was a bit out of my price range and I wasn't comfortable with the lack of an external safety for IWB carry.

Tony, how do you like your holster? I had a hard time deciding between the Single Clip and the EZ-Clip.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

mtheis wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:I am looking to trade my Shield for a Glock 26, A Springfield XD or perhaps a Glock 19.
I looked at the G26, G43, and XDS before buying the Shield. The single stack G43 didn't impress me as much as I thought it would and I had my doubts about being able to conceal any of the double stacks. The XDS was a bit out of my price range and I wasn't comfortable with the lack of an external safety for IWB carry.

Tony, how do you like your holster? I had a hard time deciding between the Single Clip and the EZ-Clip.
I like mine very much. I don't remember what model mine is, but it's the horsehide hybrid with two J-clips. I've been using it for a long time (couple years, maybe) and I carry just about daily. Gun has a bunch of holster wear, and I've had the slide ceracoated once already last year.

After lots of in-an-out, the hoster's retention is still good, although slightly diminished from new. I have another Theis holster for my Walther which I don't carry as much and can compare retention strength, which used to be about equal. That said, the retention is still secure. I've had to do sprints with the holster on - once to get across the road before the traffic ran me over and another time I sprinted after Jack took off after a coyote, but the gun never came loose, much less fallen out.

Things to expect:
- you will have major holster wear on the gun, mostly from where the gun's finish rubs on the kydex side of the holster. The leather side of the holster will also wear the finish off the corners of the slide, but at a lesser rate. This, of course, doesn't affect the performance of the weapon, but some people are more bothered by such wear than others. Kydex wear will be very fast and severe at first, but will slow down and stop progressing eventually, when the contact points have worn in.

- find a good product to keep rust off the slide. It will happen. Hot summers, eventual moisture from the body, etc. In the summer especially I find myself wiping it down once a week or so to prevent surface rust. The Shield's factory finish is good, but I've had tiny pitting occur from sweat that soaked through the holster. The best product I've found for me is Hornady's OneShot. It's a dry lubricant that's very effective at keeping the rust off and because it's dry, you're not dealing with oil in your holster. Also, it attracts less dirt and lint. There's always lots of lint, as I found out.

An opinion you didn't ask for: you'll likely change your opinion on manual safety once you carry for a while. I used to carry with the safety on, but as I got more comfortable, I realized that if things ever came to that, I'd never remember to take it off, so I carry with a round chambered and safety off, always following the cardinal rules of handling firearms. Having said all of that, it's good to have a choice in how to carry, which is why I liked the idea of the manual safety on the Shield, because while I knew I wanted to keep the safety on at first, I always knew I didn't have to. Now, I don't need it and would be just fine with a Glock for that reason.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

New gun :D :D

Kimber Eclipse Target II .45ACP
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

six wrote:New gun :D :D

Uber jelly. Must start gun permit application process. Maybe the concealed carry push will help me get unrestricted permit (need all the help I can get living in NYS) :o
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

potownrob wrote:Uber jelly. Must start gun permit application process. Maybe the concealed carry push will help me get unrestricted permit (need all the help I can get living in NYS) :o
Hey, at least you don't live in NYC lol. I feel your pain man, I live in California. :?
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

six wrote:
potownrob wrote:Uber jelly. Must start gun permit application process. Maybe the concealed carry push will help me get unrestricted permit (need all the help I can get living in NYS) :o
Hey, at least you don't live in NYC lol. I feel your pain man, I live in California. :?
nyc is bad news. They're known for not even letting retired cops carry. :cry: :evil:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

potownrob wrote:nyc is bad news. They're known for not even letting retired cops carry. :cry: :evil:
Yeah, in NYC, even if you carry a pocket knife, you're breaking the law. That's why I keep on saying, I might live in California, but getting a gun in California seems to be easier than other "gun-control states" like NY, IL, and MA. The only thing I have to go through is to renew a "safety certificate" every few years (at $25 a time, 30-question multiple-choice common-sense-questions test) and a 10-day wait period. I don't have to have mandatory training, or an expensive firearms permit that is hard to obtain to even be considered eligible to buy a gun, or all that stuff. I feel, out of all strict gun states, California seems the most lax. :? A CCW, however, is nigh impossible to get in CA though.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

six wrote:New gun :D :D

Yes, sir. That's doing it right.

There are two calibers I need to add to my collection: a .357 mag and then a .45ACP.

Working on the .357 :)
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

AHTOXA wrote:Yes, sir. That's doing it right.

There are two calibers I need to add to my collection: a .357 mag and then a .45ACP.

Working on the .357 :)
Awesome :)

My collection is complete: .40 S&W (Glock 22), .44 Mag (S&W 629 Classic), .45ACP (Kimber Eclipse), and 12-gauge (Remington 870). The only other caliber I would consider getting is probably .454 Casull. Any other gun I get will most likely be another of a caliber that I already have. And yes, if you haven't noticed, they're all large-caliber handguns (other than the shotty, of course) :mrgreen: :P