race3

All things photo, moving or not.
gizmo
Master Standardshifter
Cars: tC

race3

Post by gizmo »

qualified 3rd. redrew mid pack. first time running outside groove. ran the outside groove correctly after a few laps. think i'm improving. had ra64t as a spectator! (props to him). anyone wanna guess when i got the flat? anyone think it was from the debris running through the infield? anyone think it was fine on the restart and i cut it down? i'll known soon when i re-inflate the tire. (i think it was from the infield).
Last edited by gizmo on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Re: race3

Post by ra64t »

gizmo did a great job coming back from a flat tire. for anyone in the new york area i definitely recommend checking out the races at riverhead raceway on long island.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ra64t wrote:gizmo did a great job coming back from a flat tire. for anyone in the new york area i definitely recommend checking out the races at riverhead raceway on long island.
He's even gotten better at it now. Watch the video below:
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

That reminds me...last night I saw a Jeep Wrangler go over bump on the highway and its front wheels started wobbling REALLY bad, in next lane just a couple carlengths in front of me. I got on the brakes and backed way off, luckily the driver decided it was no bueno and got off the next exit. It looked like completely disintegrated wheel bearings except after a few seconds the wobbling straightened up all on its own. Never seen anything like it and I hope I never do again.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
camera_man
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '97 Jeep, '12 Cruze

Post by camera_man »

The infamous Jeep "death wobble"

Usually caused by something already being worn out (panhard bar is the most common)... scary when it does happen though.
2012 Chevy Cruze
1.4L Turbo, 6 speed

1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, 5 speed
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Yeah, that's it. I think it was 20-30% more severe but definitely just like that. I thought of death wobble when I saw it but I didn't believe it; I thought death wobble doesn't look so scary, rather it just feels scary. I learned something today.

gizmo
Master Standardshifter
Cars: tC

Post by gizmo »

We checked the tire, the tread had a large puncture in the middle of its surface. Once inflated, it quickly began to lose air. Looks like I did not crash into the car above me on the restart after all, at least not as a result of driver error?

I am on my way to a flatter track next weekend, slightly larger in size too. I'm nervous since I seem to be very week on the outside groove. It's not like most of the other driving I've done, given the impossibly small field of vision, and my inability to see through the car below me to the apex, I am giving them way too much room below me, and as a result, robbing myself of much needed track to go faster.

Also: My sister has a wrangler and after it was involved in a collision, it too developed the "Shudder of death". I borrowed a jeep for a weekend and when I returned it to her, she was having a small party, and I asked her if she had ever experienced the "Shudder of Death" before or did I break it. She erupted in laughter, and mentioned it was not something I had caused.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

:shock: She kept driving it like that? I could not.

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

The Death Wobble (Chrysler technical term) is pretty common with any collisions involved. Usually its nothing more serious than a blown steering damper.