My trip to Colorado (Summer 2012) (LOTS of pics)

All things photo, moving or not.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Re: My trip to Colorado (Summer 2012) (LOTS of pics)

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Thanks Jastreb! She took more of the photos, but it's really hard to take a bad shot in some of those places. Her camera is a Canon Powershot ELPH 300 HS. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J4 ... 04_s00_i00) Funny you mention that, she looked into this camera after I showed her a bunch of pictures someone took on a road trip (from a Car Lounge thread) and she ended up buying it. It takes some great shots. Most of the shots were taken in "Super Vivid" mode, which really saturates the colors. We toned down the colors in post processing since it was way too saturated sometimes (my skin would look orange :lol: )

Noob - TRIPOD WAS CAMERA SOMETIMES. We wanted to be able to take pictures of ourselves without having to rely on others so we bought a tripod off Amazon before we left. Worked pretty damn well after we figured out how to get the camera stable on it.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

that cameras decent, especially in good lighting. i bought one a year or 2 ago to have an ultra compact camera to take everywhere (which ends up sitting in my center console like all my other cameras). it doesn't hold a candle (at least not a big candle) to the canon S95 despite reviews comparing the two cameras. the super vivid mode on the s95 is much better and the overall colors, resolution, speed, dynamic range and lowlight capabilities (the s95 has a much bigger sensor) are a big step up. i gave my 300 HS to my sister and she loves it.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Looks great! Amazing how you were in the mountains then all of a sudden in the desert. Nice pics.

I see my civic in the back of one of your pics XD haha
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Awesome pictures Cosmin! Looks like a wonderful time.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

so i put that camera on my amazon wish-list - mine is dying a slow death. hopefully it makes it till my birthday.

i'll probably ask for it for my birthday - can't add to the christmas list anymore
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Thanks bk and Eric! Colorado is a really crazy place to go to. You really only see the big mountains and ski resorts in their tourism commercials (not that those are bad places) but there's SO much more in that state. Before we looked into this trip we had no idea Colorado was so varied. I mean, in the NE you have crazy big mountains and alpine scenery. In the west and SW, you have red rock, desert, and massive canyons. And in a little patch of a corner in the SE? There's a HUGE dune field, bordered by 14,000 ft. mountains. It's just nuts. I don't think any state around this size can clam this much variety in scenery.

Kelly, it's a great camera. If it ever goes on sale or you have the funds, I would definitely say to buy it.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Texas has a lot of variety, but there is a lot of Texas to spread it out in, so you might not notice how munch variety there is unless you drive around a lot.

...and remember to ask for a scoop of icecream with your slice of pie!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Texas has a lot of variety, but there is a lot of Texas to spread it out in, so you might not notice how munch variety there is unless you drive around a lot.

...and remember to ask for a scoop of icecream with your slice of pie!
Indeed. The more I live here, the more obvious it is. Even driving as little as 1.5 hours east of here, and you get into the piney woods area of East Texas, which is vastly different from Dallas area. The MTB trails are excellent out there.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Very true, I have heard Texas has a lot of variety, especially once you get to the west side near NM (Guadalupe Peak, for example).
The only difference is Colorado is much smaller than Texas and has a big geographical difference in a much smaller area.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:Very true, I have heard Texas has a lot of variety, especially once you get to the west side near NM (Guadalupe Peak, for example).
The only difference is Colorado is much smaller than Texas and has a big geographical difference in a much smaller area.
Yeah, well Texas has only one star on their state flag, so there!How'd you like them road apples?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

wannabe wrote:so i put that camera on my amazon wish-list - mine is dying a slow death. hopefully it makes it till my birthday.

i'll probably ask for it for my birthday - can't add to the christmas list anymore
kelly, it's important to look at the options before just buying a camera someone else had and you like the pics they took with it. that said, you can find the 300 HS fairly cheap on eBay these days. you might also want to consider the 100 HS or one of the newer models in that series. the 300 HS is one of the few with an ultrawide angle (24mm, in 35mm terms) lens, but the caveat is this angle is often too wide for standard shots and it distorts things, so you may find yourself zooming in a little each time you turn the camera on (and you'll probably get a better picture in most cases if you zoom in a little). Most of the other models, like the 100 HS for example, only go as wide as 28mm (in 35mm terms) which is a better starting point for most situations (including most landscape shots). The only time the ultrawide lens of the 300 HS will really come in handy is for either the self-shots with friends people like to do (my sister lives for this kind of shot, so the 300 HS is golden for her) and to take a close-up pic of something with stuff in the background.

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

potownrob wrote:
wannabe wrote:so i put that camera on my amazon wish-list - mine is dying a slow death. hopefully it makes it till my birthday.

kelly, it's important to look at the options before just buying a camera someone else had and you like the pics they took with it. that said, you can find the 300 HS fairly cheap on eBay these days. you might also want to consider the 100 HS or one of the newer models in that series. the 300 HS is one of the few with an ultrawide angle (24mm, in 35mm terms) lens, but the caveat is this angle is often too wide for standard shots and it distorts things, so you may find yourself zooming in a little each time you turn the camera on (and you'll probably get a better picture in most cases if you zoom in a little). Most of the other models, like the 100 HS for example, only go as wide as 28mm (in 35mm terms) which is a better starting point for most situations (including most landscape shots). The only time the ultrawide lens of the 300 HS will really come in handy is for either the self-shots with friends people like to do (my sister lives for this kind of shot, so the 300 HS is golden for her) and to take a close-up pic of something with stuff in the background.
ugh

i know. i'll look at cameras. but i need somewhere to start and recommendations are good. if i put it on the wishlist i won't forget about it. plus mine broke further
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff