Tripedalists! Show us your pedals!

All things photo, moving or not.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Tripedalists! Show us your pedals!

Post by ClutchFork »

Shadow wrote:Surprising to see quite a few cars without a dead pedal. IMO, a dead pedal should be included on every manual transmission vehicle.
Been driving stick since 1977 and have never, ever heard of a dead pedal. Might be useful in an automatic if it has springs so you could pump it once in a while to keep your left leg from falling asleep.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Its a footrest. Thats all. Theyre for left leg comfort.
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

I have to say, it comes in quite handy when driving aggressively; my seat isn't the most heavily-bolstered, so it helps me anchor myself in place by pressing firmly against the dead pedal while cornering hard.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

RITmusic2k wrote:I have to say, it comes in quite handy when driving aggressively; my seat isn't the most heavily-bolstered, so it helps me anchor myself in place by pressing firmly against the dead pedal while cornering hard.
That is one of three reasons given on Wikipedia for the dead pedal.

Maybe my wife needs a dead pedal on the passenger side of my truck. She says I throw her around when she rides in my Ranger. :lol: Can't help it, I like to drive with gusto! :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

InlinePaul wrote: Been driving stick since 1977 and have never, ever heard of a dead pedal. Might be useful in an automatic if it has springs so you could pump it once in a while to keep your left leg from falling asleep.
It's very useful in a manual transmission. In fact, it's designed for manual transmissions. The idea is that your left foot is in a position that is closer to the clutch pedal when it is fully up. Instead of having your lift your foot off the floor and place it on the clutch pedal, your foot is already a bit elevated since it is resting on the dead pedal. I've only owned one car that didn't have a dead pedal...and I installed an aftermarket dead pedal in that car because I didn't like not having it. Today, I'd never drive a manual transmission car without a dead pedal. But hey, that's just me.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

ClutchDisc wrote:Why would you want a dead pedal? In my opinion, it would just get in the way.
How could it possibly get in the way? A dead pedal is off the left side and can't possibly get in the way of anything.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

RITmusic2k wrote:I have to say, it comes in quite handy when driving aggressively; my seat isn't the most heavily-bolstered, so it helps me anchor myself in place by pressing firmly against the dead pedal while cornering hard.
It can also help with quicker gear changes when you're driving aggressively. Having your left leg elevated on the dead pedal instead of on the floor will help facilitate the transition from foot off clutch to foot on clutch every time.

I can only chuckle at some of these guys who seem to be against having a dead pedal when they've never driven a car with a dead pedal. Oh well.....I guess some people have to experience it to understand.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Shadow wrote:I can only chuckle at some of these guys who seem to be against having a dead pedal when they've never driven a car with a dead pedal. Oh well.....I guess some people have to experience it to understand.
Whelp, I guess it could be useful. From an efficiency standpoint, it does make sense to reduce your foot movements, but then automatics reduce the foot movement even more. I think it would be awkward for me to get used to after 36 years of muscle memory on not having a dead pedal. It took me long enough to get used to driving the Ranger 4-banger after 34 years of 4.9L Ford trucks.
Stick shiftin since '77
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I've had autos with dead pedals and they were nice. It keeps the angle between foot and ankle more natural instead of obtuse as in other cars I've driven. I wish Clifford had one.

As it is my pedals look thus:
I've not had a chance to vacuum it out, or put my summer mats in. :(
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

tankinbeans wrote:I've had autos with dead pedals and they were nice. It keeps the angle between foot and ankle more natural instead of obtuse as in other cars I've driven. I wish Clifford had one.

As it is my pedals look thus:
I've not had a chance to vacuum it out, or put my summer mats in. :(
Hard to tell from that pic, but it almost looks like the floor to the left of your clutch pedal is angled and elevated just like a dead pedal would be....
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

InlinePaul wrote:
Shadow wrote:I can only chuckle at some of these guys who seem to be against having a dead pedal when they've never driven a car with a dead pedal. Oh well.....I guess some people have to experience it to understand.
Whelp, I guess it could be useful. From an efficiency standpoint, it does make sense to reduce your foot movements, but then automatics reduce the foot movement even more. I think it would be awkward for me to get used to after 36 years of muscle memory on not having a dead pedal. It took me long enough to get used to driving the Ranger 4-banger after 34 years of 4.9L Ford trucks.
Muscle memory? Theres no muscle memory involed in putting your foot on the floor. Youre really overcomplicating a simple footrest.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

watkins wrote: Muscle memory? Theres no muscle memory involed in putting your foot on the floor. Youre really overcomplicating a simple footrest.
Well it won't matter for my Ranger, the parking brake pedal is in the way.
Stick shiftin since '77
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

InlinePaul wrote:
watkins wrote: Muscle memory? Theres no muscle memory involed in putting your foot on the floor. Youre really overcomplicating a simple footrest.
Well it won't matter for my Ranger, the parking brake pedal is in the way.
I have a deal pedal/plastic foot rest in both my cars (manual and auto). I use it in both: in the manual, to rest my foot while not on the clutch, in the auto, to stretch my leg when I don't want to rest it flat on the floor.

And.. I can't find a stock picture with the stock pedals of the Fiesta with a quick google search. They all have to upgraded pedals.. weird.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I'd never thought of the bit on the right side as a dummy pedal.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

watkins wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:
Muscle memory? Theres no muscle memory involed in putting your foot on the floor. Youre really overcomplicating a simple footrest.
And you're oversimplifying the purpose of a dead pedal. It's not just a footrest. Since we all have the ability to rest our foot flat on the floor, it should be obvious that a dead pedal is more purposeful than acting as just a place to rest your left foot.