Got my new (used) wheels today!

All things photo, moving or not.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Got my new (used) wheels today!

Post by ClutchFork »

Still have to put the chrome center caps on.
I really like these old fashioned steel wheels, not the cheesy ones it had.
The old wheels were 7" wide with 225/70/15s. The new are 6.5" wide with 205/75/15s.
Last edited by ClutchFork on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
IMBoring25

Re: Got my new (used) wheels today!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Similar to what I'm running on my '97 C1500 with center caps and trim rings from an old Chevy van my brother used to have. I think it works, or it will once you've completed it. :)
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

So you went to a smaller wheel with smaller tires? And you like it better? And it's just a plain black steelie?

You are one strange guy. :lol:
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

I strive to avoid normality. :lol:

Only 1% smaller in diameter from 27.3" down to 27.0". But smaller in width from 8.8" down to 8". I just like the narrower tire look. I wonder if I might get better mileage for lower rolling resistance. They should cut thorough snow better. I hate the wheels it had. They are fake fancy wheels, cheaply made and hold water so they rust. I'll probably put the chrome plastic center caps on from the old wheels after I run a 100 miles and re-torque them. Only cost me $100 for all four wheels. Really, the 225 series tires were excessive for that small truck.

The old wheels were junk, rusty, scales falling off and eventually affecting balance.

Hey look at what nice cars are sporting steelies:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:I wonder if I might get better mileage for lower rolling resistance.
Not due to the tire size. If you do it'll be because of different tire model. Besides the size not being different enough to make a difference, narrower doesn't necessarily mean lower rolling resistance. Most rolling resistance comes from flexing of the sidewall as the round tire flattens at the bottom where the contact patch is. Given the same pressure and weight, you're going to have approximately the same contact patch. In round numbers: 1000 pounds on 100 pounds per square inch would be 10 square inches of contact patch. On a wider tire the contact patch would be wider, resulting in less sidewall flexing to make the same contact patch. A 10 inch wide tire would need a 1 inch long contact patch, while a 1 inch wide tire would need a 10 inch long contact patch.

That's not the last word on the subject but it's the best logic I've seen, and there is very little good actual measurement information about rolling resistance. The variables are too difficult to control...construction (which can even differ among the same model from different manufacturing runs), tread pattern, compound, wear, temperature, and a bunch of other variables I don't even remember right now. On top of that, testing is actually quite expensive, especially if you're controlling variables.

Also, it looks like your old tires are worn and the new ones are not very worn. Worn tires have less rolling resistance than when they were new (because some of the rolling resistance also comes from tread squirm).
They should cut thorough snow better.
Yup, though with such a small difference that could easily be canceled (or enhanced!) by different tire models. The newer tread will help either way.

Now that you have two sets of wheels you really should slap some studded winter tires on one set. You may not need them, but you'll certainly appreciate them. You can clean up the ugly wheels enough for winter with some Plasti-Dip.

Especially try to find old-school snow tires for the rear, like Firestone Town & Country. Modern-style winter tires are great for braking and turning, but nothing beats those old-school snow tires (in modern versions with winter tire compounds and studs) for digging in and pushing your RWD vehicle forward when soccer moms can't get up the hill in 4WD.
I'll probably put the chrome plastic center caps on from the old wheels after I run a 100 miles and re-torque them.
Good that you're re-torquing them. I had a wheel come loose last winter, though I suspect it wouldn't have happened with steel or alloy; the wheel is thick plain aluminum and I think it contracted as the weather cooled, allowing lug nuts to back off. I started getting a knocking and pulled over to check my axle and front end and such, and as I jacked the left front I saw that the wheel was loose. Tightened lug nuts, posted a thread advocating complete paranoia, and all was good.

I'm not a fan of how it looks right now but I think the center caps may help. I don't love the old ones either but even showing some rust they don't look as bad to me as the plain black steelies, especially those particular ones. You might be able to get trim rings from a Crown Victoria's steelies, but that might be too fancy for you. ;)
Only cost me $100 for all four wheels.
Isn't this size range great? :D

What models are the tires? The old ones look like some kind of lame Contis, and the new ones look kinda like some Toyo Proxes I had.

Damn. Another novel-length post. What can I say, this topic is relevant to my interests. :D
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Shadow wrote:So you went to a smaller wheel with smaller tires? And you like it better? And it's just a plain black steelie?

You are one strange guy. :lol:
He also waxes nostalgic for 3-on-the-tree transmissions and cranky windows. He's eccentric. :)
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Most rolling resistance comes from flexing of the sidewall as the round tire flattens at the bottom where the contact patch is. Given the same pressure and weight, you're going to have approximately the same contact patch.
I'd have thought smaller contact patch, but higher contact pressure per square inch.

Narrower looks great on the truck.
Now that you have two sets of wheels you really should slap some studded winter tires on one set. You may not need them, but you'll certainly appreciate them. You can clean up the ugly wheels enough for winter with some Plasti-Dip.
I'm going to sell the tires with the wheels. The wheels need more than plastidip because of the bad rust down in the trough.

Used to run snows, but on ice probably better off with all weather tires.

I am re-torquing more to check up on the installer than for the re-torquing requirement, either way a good thing.

I'll post a photo with the nice center caps installed.
Isn't this size range great? :D
Yep.

Old were Contintental Contitrac. New are Uniroyal Tiger Paw All Weather Performance II, exact same tire and size as on Clutchdisc's truck.
Stick shiftin since '77
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Got the old ones up for sale already:
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/pts/4082312398.html

Reason the new tires look old is the overspray from the plastidip. Ha-ha flat black tires and wheels, nice! Will contrast well with the chrome center caps!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:Used to run snows, but on ice probably better off with all weather tires.
Do you mean "all season"? Haven't heard the term "all weather" before.

All season tires are compromise tires, and their best qualities tend to be things like long treadwear and comfortable quiet ride. Nothing beats studded winter tires on ice. Not saying they're necessary but they're just such a nice luxury. I guess I'm spoiled.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Studded snows are illegal here.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

I don't know what it is but the truck feels dropped. Even Clutchdisc noted that without my mentioning it. It may be that the 0.3 inch smaller diameter, combined with a slight bit more squat did it. I like it, feels nice. Rides great. Diameter does not seem to be off from the 0.3 calculated as I jacked up the tire then lowered it slowly until it would not spin against the ground so the weight was off, then put the old wheel and tire next to it and a board across the top with a level and it looked about 1/4 inch or so lower for the new tires, close to calculated. Anyway, I am quite pleased. Also torqued them after 89 mlles by hand feel and put the center caps on. The center caps really make it nice looking.
Stick shiftin since '77
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I think larger wheels looks good on trucks. New base Tacomas look like crap with the smaller factory tires vs. the higher trims.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

AHTOXA wrote:I think larger wheels looks good on trucks. New base Tacomas look like crap with the smaller factory tires vs. the higher trims.
Many do like the big tire look. See them all over the road. I always admired the old army jeeps with the really narrow tires. When I see a jeep with tires that stick out about 4 inches past the fenders it looks horrible.

But these tires and wheels are the best thing I ever did to this truck other than driving it hard. :D

Gotta get a picture of it with the chrome center caps and post it.
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

InlinePaul wrote:Used to run snows, but on ice probably better off with all weather tires.

huh?! how do you figure that?? my ancient (according to tony) firestone snow tires perform lightyears better on ice than any highly rated all-season tires i've run, despite the firestones not being highly rated for ice. they are actually amazing, and a hoot to drive on snow and ice.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote:huh?! how do you figure that?? my ancient (according to tony) firestone snow tires perform lightyears better on ice than any highly rated all-season tires i've run, despite the firestones not being highly rated for ice. they are actually amazing, and a hoot to drive on snow and ice.
How ancient? The image in my mind of snow tires is from about 30 years ago. Something more like this:

Those aren't going to be any better on ice, maybe worse that regular tires. But Googling snow tires shows they are far more advanced today.
Stick shiftin since '77