In the year 2025, if transmissions still survive,....

All things photo, moving or not.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

In the year 2025, if transmissions still survive,....

Post by Rope-Pusher »

The next BIG move in automotive mobility
http://www.autoline.tv/show/1810

The reader's Digest Abridged version:
1)Cars get small - People must get small

2)Cars go electric - Cars are like laptops and we plug them in every chance we get

3)We share cars - Cars get driven 100,000 miles per year, Insurance costs $15,000 per year to cover all those drivers and all their miles, cars get worn out faster and we change cars like we change cellphones, so they are always up to the latest technology. Used cars are donated to Senior Citizens for emergencies - "Help me, I can't get up to the store!"

4)Cars are connected - Cars warn eachother about back-ups, black ice, whiteouts, potholes, speed traps, etc. Then cars start spamming eachother, sending chainmail, sending fake warnings when no hazards exist, etc.

5)Cars are autonomous - People live further out in the sticks, because they can read, play games, or sleep while the car drives them to and from work. Taxis are inexpensive since there is no driver to pay a wage to. The whole family goes their separate ways each morning in different cars - nobody has to drop the kids off at school because an autonomous taxi is hailed to take them wherever they need to go. There is one car per person out on the roads during morning and evening commutes, since we can't share rides if we all live out in different areas of the sticks. We use more energy and the roads are hopelessly congested.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: In the year 2025, if transmissions still survive,....

Post by Shadow »

Well, the future must be now because just about everything mentioned already exists to some extent.

1. Yes, cars have gotten smaller already. People, no...but cars, absolutely.

2. Plenty of electrics on the roads already. Probably the one closest to a laptop is the Tesla Model S. Hell, it even has a 17-inch touchscreen on the console/dash.

3. Plenty of car sharing services already.

4. We are starting to see "active" communication already. Navigation systems can use traffic data from other cars (or sometimes cell phones in other cars) to suggest a route that is less congested. To a lesser extent, we're already seeing "smart" cruise control and braking via sensors that "see" the proximity to other vehicles and adjust accordingly. Of course this is just going to be even more involved in the future.

5. Google built an autonomous car to prove the concept a few years ago already. I read the story about the blind guy who used the car to get from his house to Taco Bell.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

And this:
[/quote]
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

LOL....oh no! The sky is falling!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Shadow wrote:LOL....oh no! The sky is falling!
:lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Related to point 3, I saw an Enterprise Rent-a-car commercial while watching basketball this weekend that mentioned they now have a car sharing program. It's the first of the big rental companies I've seen with one, I'd be interested to see how well it does.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:Related to point 3, I saw an Enterprise Rent-a-car commercial while watching basketball this weekend that mentioned they now have a car sharing program. It's the first of the big rental companies I've seen with one, I'd be interested to see how well it does.
We have that whole car-sharing whatever in Minneapolis. They use Smart cars and it's hilarious to watch these people trundle around.

I'd try it as an introductory thing just to drive one of those piles and see how hateful it truly is.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:
Squint wrote:Related to point 3, I saw an Enterprise Rent-a-car commercial while watching basketball this weekend that mentioned they now have a car sharing program. It's the first of the big rental companies I've seen with one, I'd be interested to see how well it does.
We have that whole car-sharing whatever in Minneapolis. They use Smart cars and it's hilarious to watch these people trundle around.

I'd try it as an introductory thing just to drive one of those piles and see how hateful it truly is.
oh is that like the zip car program they have in NYC and probably other cities?? i see one of their cars up here now and then, probably city folk who don't have their own cars. some of them are actually cool cars, though they also have the regular cars like mazda 3s too.

clifford's long lost cousin??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I've seen companies like that around. The big difference I was pointing out was that a big rental company like Enterprise was trying to get in on the action. Which means they are either taking a huge gamble or the sharing-car industry is doing far better than I assumed it was.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

So when are they coming, these autonomous vehicles?

http://www.autoline.tv/show/1811

Like worn shocks, they will creep up on us gradually that we don't notice it until it is impossible not to notice.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote:So when are they coming, these autonomous vehicles?

http://www.autoline.tv/show/1811

Like worn shocks, they will creep up on us gradually that we don't notice it until it is impossible not to notice.
It's like a frog in the frying pan. The public won't realize what a big mistake it is until it is too late.

I have been studying the Model A Ford and believe that it would be a better car for the future than these electronic gizmo laden vehicles. The Model A has some wonderful features, like it comes standard with manual transmission--in fact, there is no option for an automatic! Nice. Also you have a knob in the cabin for making fine adjustments to the carburator on the go. What a great and practical innovation.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:The public won't realize what a big mistake it is until it is too late.

Why would autonomous self-driving dishwashers be a mistake for the general public vs. dishwashers driven by cellphone-yakking joint-lighting selfie-taking people who don't want to deal with driving? It might end up sucking big time for us car-driving hobbyists, but I imagine most folks will be happier and safer if their dishwasher drives itself.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

InlinePaul wrote:
The public won't realize what a big mistake it is until it is too late.
I don't think the general public will have a problem with it, quite honestly. Cars are appliances for a lot of people. Those people may very well be happy if they had a personal conveyance appliance that can get them from point A to point B with little or no input from them. Enthusiasts, on the other hand, are the people who wouldn't be happy. Unfortunately, enthusiasts like us aren't in the majority.

I have been studying the Model A Ford and believe that it would be a better car for the future than these electronic gizmo laden vehicles. The Model A has some wonderful features, like it comes standard with manual transmission--in fact, there is no option for an automatic! Nice. Also you have a knob in the cabin for making fine adjustments to the carburator on the go. What a great and practical innovation.
LOL....I hope you're kidding. A while back I wrote about getting stuck in a line of traffic on a mountain road behind a Model T. The car was so incredibly underpowered that it could barely get out of it's own way. Quite honestly, a car like that has no business on public roads with more modern automobiles, simply because it is little more than a rolling roadblock. I doubt a fully loaded semi would have been as slow on the same road.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Here is one for only $11,000--fully restored!
Model A for sale
I live in flat country, so hills no problem.
Stick shiftin since '77
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

InlinePaul wrote:Here is one for only $11,000--fully restored!
Model A for sale
I live in flat country, so hills no problem.
You should buy it.....seems like a bargain.

But stick to parades if you want to drive it! LOL