In the year 2025, if transmissions still survive,....

All things photo, moving or not.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: In the year 2025, if transmissions still survive,....

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:"What led you to decide to release the baby-killing ignition switch design in these cars?"
$$.

$$$.

$$$$.

Abba wrote an on-topic song.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

'CAR and RIDER'

"Automakers such as Daimler AG and Volvo also are aggressively pursuing autonomous vehicles to make cars safer, improve mobility for blind and elderly people and make traffic jams and commutes less tiresome.

But none of those automakers envisions eliminating the role of the driver altogether.

Google does. It says it isn't confident enough about the handoff of controls to maintain a role for the driver in a self-driving car. Human factors research suggests that once people gave up control of a vehicle, they would be too trusting, Urmson said, and wouldn't be prepared to retake the controls quickly when they were needed.

Rather than taking a shot at "debugging the human," Google decided to go for a fully autonomous car."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014060 ... and-driver#
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Google does. It says it isn't confident enough about the handoff of controls to maintain a role for the driver in a self-driving car. Human factors research suggests that once people gave up control of a vehicle, they would be too trusting, Urmson said, and wouldn't be prepared to retake the controls quickly when they were needed.
For your average driver, that is completely true.

Customer: "You mean I can play Angry Birds and get to work without me having to drive at all??"

Engineer: "Yeah, but you should pay attention in case you need to retake control.."

Customer: "ANGRY BIRDS! Youtube! Tumblr!" *wanders off playing with phone*

Engineer: *Facepalm*

More seriously, I can totally believe that they think people will just mentally check out while driving. I would not be surprised if a large number of people would just sip on coffee, read the paper (digitally, of course), or nap while going places - especially with longer commutes.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Can you imagine how tedious, boring, and frustrating it would be to sit there paying attention as if you're driving but not be allowed to drive, every day? That would be torturous. If we're talking about a human supervising the autonomous car, that's definitely a no-go.

Also difficult and irritating would be an automated handoff where the computer chooses when the driver should drive. It could cause tons of road rage if done wrong. Can you imagine? Done right, it could be safe if annoying; beep and speak "Autonomous drive mode disengaging in 2 minutes" with repeated warnings and detection of whether or not the driver actually takes control.

Now, if we're talking about going autonomous for traffic jams or other special circumstances, with the driver manually choosing mode based on his own preferences by flipping a switch, I can't imagine a difficult handoff there. Driver flips switch only when ready.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:Can you imagine how tedious, boring, and frustrating it would be to sit there paying attention as if you're driving but not be allowed to drive, every day? That would be torturous. If we're talking about a human supervising the autonomous car, that's definitely a no-go.
Cowman - We're not allowed to mention the P-Word on this site.

(passenging)
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Well, I will have to admit those cars did better than I would expect from the average bunch of distracted drivers.

Will agreeing to buy one of these in order to keep their license become the standard plea-bargain for dui drivers up before a judge?
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
Will agreeing to buy one of these in order to keep their license become the standard plea-bargain for dui drivers up before a judge?
Licenses? What licenses? If my car is going to drive itself, I don't see why I'd need a license in the first place. So the DUI/DWI guys can just toss their license in the trash and just go completely autonomous..... :lol:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Shadow wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:
Licenses? What licenses? If my car is going to drive itself, I don't see why I'd need a license in the first place. So the DUI/DWI guys can just toss their license in the trash and just go completely autonomous..... :lol:
Them licenses ain't just for driving cars anymore.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Pretty sure one of the articles on the Google cars said California was in the process of getting operator licensing for automated cars set up. We can't have just anybody running around pushing "on" buttons all willy-nilly, now...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote:Pretty sure one of the articles on the Google cars said California was in the process of getting operator licensing for automated cars set up. We can't have just anybody running around pushing "on" buttons all willy-nelson, now...

Fickset
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

LOOK MA, NO HANDS - From Autoline Daily
Driving a car across the United States can be something for the history books.

The first to do so were a couple of guys in 1903 who took 63 days to go coast to coast in a Winton.

A 22-year old, Alice Taylor Ramsey, became the first woman to do so in 1909. She took 59 days in a Maxwell.

In 1919 the U.S. Army sent a convoy of about 80 trucks across the country to see if trucks could stand up to the abuse. It took them 62 days. By the way, a young lieutenant colonel by the name of Dwight D. Eisenhower took part in that convoy.

And we point this all out because later this month the automotive supplier company Delphi wants to become the first to have an autonomous car drive across the country. The drive will begin on March 22 in San Francisco and will end up in New York City in time for the auto show there. The car is a modified Audi Q3 and features Delphi’s autonomous technology.

http://delphidrive.com/