Good cutaway videos of a manual transmission

All things photo, moving or not.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Good cutaway videos of a manual transmission

Post by bk7794 »

Does a good job showing an unsyncronized reverse gear. Also shows why not to leave your hand on the shifter.

forgot to press submit.
Last edited by bk7794 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Good cutaway videos of a manual transmission

Post by ClutchFork »

Thanks for the great links.

(i see you got it working so i deleted my reposting of the videos) :)
Last edited by ClutchFork on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Funny enough..I removed the S and pressed preview to make sure it worked...then I forgot to press submit for some reason...
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Double post and this site is really laggy.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

You can see Reverse engagement clearly from the "Other Side" video. The sliding idler gear has to mesh with two (2) other gears and some times one or both of them do not align with the teeth on the idler the the shift into Reverse is blocked. This is why letting the clutch slightly grab and spin the input shaft can help achieve alignment between these three gears and eliminate the blocking.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Rope-Pusher wrote:You can see Reverse engagement clearly from the "Other Side" video. The sliding idler gear has to mesh with two (2) other gears and some times one or both of them do not align with the teeth on the idler the the shift into Reverse is blocked. This is why letting the clutch slightly grab and spin the input shaft can help achieve alignment between these three gears and eliminate the blocking.
So are you saying while applying force to the "R" position on the shifter slightly release the clutch and it should hook right up?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

bk7794 wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:You can see Reverse engagement clearly from the "Other Side" video. The sliding idler gear has to mesh with two (2) other gears and some times one or both of them do not align with the teeth on the idler the the shift into Reverse is blocked. This is why letting the clutch slightly grab and spin the input shaft can help achieve alignment between these three gears and eliminate the blocking.
So are you saying while applying force to the "R" position on the shifter slightly release the clutch and it should hook right up?
Yes, feather the clutch engagement so it slowly spins the shaft - it doesn't even really need to make more than a very small portion of a revolution before either A) - the tooth on the input shaft gear lines up with the sliding Reverse idler gear (if that was where the tooth-butting was) or B) - If the idler gear and the gear on the input shaft were already engaging, the two will rotationally index until they align with the third gear in the mesh. Keep the shifter loaded toward Reverse when you feather the clutch, so the idler gear will drop into mesh with the spinning input shaft gear and not just bounce off the teeth as they rotate past.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

In my car when I try to do that, there's no in-between...I go straight from can't get it into gear to a sickening crunch that continues for way longer than it should. :lol: I have to remember instead to shift into a few other gears and then try again.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:In my car when I try to do that, there's no in-between...I go straight from can't get it into gear to a sickening crunch that continues for way longer than it should. :lol: I have to remember instead to shift into a few other gears and then try again.
One of the ways to check for where the clutch is actually engaging is to feel for the point in the pedal travel coming up to where a shift knob vibration can be felt when Reverse is held partially engaged. This is a more precise method than noting when the clutch engagement will produce rolling motion of the vehicle, since it doesn't require as much torque to be transmitted across the clutch as when the vehicle is on a grade, has high rolling resistance or high rolling inertia, etc.
With synchronized Reverse, it takes a little more finesse to feel for the point where the synchro sleeve is just starting to engage with the clutching teeth on the gear and then feel for the point where the clutch engagement will just start producing relative motion between the sleeve and the gear.
cwat89
Junior Standardshifter

Post by cwat89 »

Where did the video go?
1988 Chevy S10 M5
I will never get rid of this truck!

2006 Chevy Silverado LT3 A4
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

They are both there in the OP's post.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
theholycow wrote:In my car when I try to do that, there's no in-between...I go straight from can't get it into gear to a sickening crunch that continues for way longer than it should. :lol: I have to remember instead to shift into a few other gears and then try again.
One of the ways to check for where the clutch is actually engaging is to feel for the point in the pedal travel coming up to where a shift knob vibration can be felt when Reverse is held partially engaged. This is a more precise method than noting when the clutch engagement will produce rolling motion of the vehicle, since it doesn't require as much torque to be transmitted across the clutch as when the vehicle is on a grade, has high rolling resistance or high rolling inertia, etc.
With synchronized Reverse, it takes a little more finesse to feel for the point where the synchro sleeve is just starting to engage with the clutching teeth on the gear and then feel for the point where the clutch engagement will just start producing relative motion between the sleeve and the gear.
So I tried it. It just made a bunch of chirping/grinding noises. I feel it's more efficient to just release the clutch pedal in neutral to move the gears to a different position.

I was thinking. I wonder if I replaced one of the gears in the equation if that would make it a little bit easier. I've seen that the idler gear is quite easy to get to in my transmission.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I think I end up doing what cow does on the rare occasion that reverse is difficult to engage. I generally slip into a forward great for a moment to try and realign the input and output.

I'm starting to figure out how the transmission puts the engine's work into forward motion, but my head hasn't quite wrapped itself around the mechanical portion yet. Seeing the inner workings of the transmission helps though.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

bk7794 wrote:So I tried it. It just made a bunch of chirping/grinding noises. I feel it's more efficient to just release the clutch pedal in neutral to move the gears to a different position.

I was thinking. I wonder if I replaced one of the gears in the equation if that would make it a little bit easier. I've seen that the idler gear is quite easy to get to in my transmission.
Another way: Park on a grade and let the car roll back to rest against the clutch with it in gear. Should be enough of a grade to put decent tension on the clutch. Now set the parking brake. Then slowly push down the clutch pedal until you hear the clutch release. Since engine is off and parking brake set, you can lay in the floor with a ruler and get an exact measurement. Just be SURE the parking brake is WELL SET or it will be a disaster. :twisted:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
cwat89
Junior Standardshifter

Post by cwat89 »

Ok I see them now. I came here the other day and it wouldn't show up.
1988 Chevy S10 M5
I will never get rid of this truck!

2006 Chevy Silverado LT3 A4