Dont know how to drive stick and I got an 05 STi!!!

1320 feet of adrenaline
A SiK STi
Junior Standardshifter

Dont know how to drive stick and I got an 05 STi!!!

Post by A SiK STi »

I just upgraded from a 2003 subaru wrx (automatic) to a 2005 Subaru WRX STi (manual) and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me. Im used to driving fast and I heard that was hard for people new to manual transmissions. If you have any advice or tips let me know.
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

first off dont concentrate on driving fast. focus on getting the basics down in regards to MT and getting to know your car better...also there has been numerous amounts of "newbie" threads that have accumulated throughout standardshift's existence so search and you will find.

p.s. - how much did u get the scooby for OTD?
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

Hey another STi! :D welcome to the site! my #1 tip while you're learning to drive stick on the STi is STAY OUT OF BOOST and away from redline. get your shifting down good then have some serious fun :D of course i know you can't do this b/c i couldn't do it but if you're still learning and you're pushing it up to 6.5 k like i did you will end up bouncing off the rev-limiter at some point. the 1-2 shift can be a bitch too, the revs drop fast, add some gas to smooth it out. and don't dump the clutch in these high powered AWD cars, your drivetrain will thank you.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
vq35
Junior Standardshifter

Post by vq35 »

I'd have to agree with Subzero and don't focus on "driving fast". Enjoy driving your car, feel the car, be the car... wait I had a point to this. Anyways, maybe you should look into driving schools.

btw, grats for your new ride. 8)
g35 coupe 6mt bone stock
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

btw, in the STi, you don't have to TRY to drive fast, you have to TRY to NOT drive fast :P i hit 80 in a 35 in the twisties on the test drive without even realizing it :shock: :twisted:
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

damn it, i want one :twisted:
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Just practice your standard skills, and you will find (rather quickly) that speed will come naturally as you get used to driving it.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

the only tip i can give you is, let your car idle and cool down after every trip, especially if you're redlining it. your turbos will thank you :twisted:
mitchc2
Site Admin

Post by mitchc2 »

go borrow a friends '88 honda for awhile and learn on that. when you destroy the clutch on that it'll cost less to replace than when you total your sti. :?
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

why would he total the STi? i'd say an EVO would be more likely to be totalled by an inexperienced driver due to the turbo lag. power delivery in the STi is quite smooth and the clutch and tranny on the STi can take quite a beating as well.
JackBauer
Master Standardshifter

Post by JackBauer »

yea, it's important that you let the car idle for one or 2 minutes before turning the the car off on a turbo charged engine.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

JackBauer wrote:yea, it's important that you let the car idle for one or 2 minutes before turning the the car off on a turbo charged engine.
well i wish i had known that :? a full 1-2 minutes? wouldn't the manufacturer (assuming completely stock car) have taken into consideration that people aren't going to do this a lot of the time? what are the bad effects of not doing it? what if you are just off boost for a minute or 2 before shutting it down, like driving slowly through my subdivision and up my driveway?
mitchc2
Site Admin

Post by mitchc2 »

jomotopia wrote:why would he total the STi? i'd say an EVO would be more likely to be totalled by an inexperienced driver due to the turbo lag. power delivery in the STi is quite smooth and the clutch and tranny on the STi can take quite a beating as well.
because there's significantly less room for error. it's got nothing to do with the actual car. i would give the same advice to a new EVO driver who was just learning how to drive a stick as well.
cls12vg30
Senior Standardshifter

Post by cls12vg30 »

jomotopia wrote:
JackBauer wrote:yea, it's important that you let the car idle for one or 2 minutes before turning the the car off on a turbo charged engine.
well i wish i had known that :? a full 1-2 minutes? wouldn't the manufacturer (assuming completely stock car) have taken into consideration that people aren't going to do this a lot of the time? what are the bad effects of not doing it? what if you are just off boost for a minute or 2 before shutting it down, like driving slowly through my subdivision and up my driveway?
I've never owned a turbo, but I understand the reason for doing this, to circulate some cool oil into the turbo off-boost, rather than just shut it down hot and let the oil that's stuck in there cook to a fine sludge.

If you're supposed to idle for 1-2 minutes, then it makes sense that if you're off boost for the 1-2 minutes before shutting down, whether you're idling or driving slowly, it should be OK. Or if you're worried about it, you can always get a turbo timer.
Last edited by cls12vg30 on Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher
2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 1.4T 6MT
1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6 5MT
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Jomo, some cars have a turbo timer that negates the requirement to idle 1-2 minutes before shutdown. I'm not sure if the STi has this, but check into it before doing any excessive idling.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar