Sti 1/4 mile time??

1320 feet of adrenaline
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

There are just a lot of Subaru fanboys in this board. Nothing is wrong with the Evo.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

my only complaint against the EVO that is not a personal opinion (such as looks or usefulness) is reliability. the EVO is a slightly better performer, stock for stock, and it's a great performance car.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Jomo, have you had any problems with your tranny? I've been reading up on MSN Autos and seen a lot of complaints about folks losing 2nd or 3rd syncros with low mileage.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

^^ on the STi? no problems here that i notice. everything i've read says the STi tranny is damn near bullet proof. you sure it wasn't the regular WRX?
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

This is just the regular WRX. I guess the 5-speed is an entirely different gearbox.
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

ENTIRELY, and that's an understatement ;) actually one of the main reasons why i was set on an STi and didn't even bother driving a WRX. that and the power, i knew if i got a WRX i'd always wish i had gotten an STi.
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

Hmm. That might affect my interests in the RS, if the transmission has some quality issues. Maybe they've corrected it for the 2005+ models?
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

i think they made some improvements for 06. but as far as i can tell from what i read it's not really a quality issue. from what i gather the people that really have problems with the tranny are the ones who push a good bit more than stock power through it, and often times don't know a lot about AWD so they do clutch dump launches and stuff. if the tires aren't absorbing the shock, then what is? the tranny. plus the RS is pushing less power than the WRX to begin with, so if they have the same tranny, the RS should be even safer with it. i think the 6 speed was designed with abuse in mind whereas the 5 speed less so.
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

All good points, jomo. You've restored my Subie faith. :)
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

ohhhnick wrote:
they definitly look better =)...
+9999999999999999999999!!!
They look more sleek! Must be cuz there isnt a ginormus hood scoop in the front :lol:
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

i like my hood scoop :P i think i might put a picture of a pretty girl on the back of it to look at while i drive lol :lol: :lol:
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

jomotopia wrote:i think they made some improvements for 06. but as far as i can tell from what i read it's not really a quality issue. from what i gather the people that really have problems with the tranny are the ones who push a good bit more than stock power through it, and often times don't know a lot about AWD so they do clutch dump launches and stuff. if the tires aren't absorbing the shock, then what is? the tranny. plus the RS is pushing less power than the WRX to begin with, so if they have the same tranny, the RS should be even safer with it. i think the 6 speed was designed with abuse in mind whereas the 5 speed less so.
With impreza's, most of the porblem is with their middle trim WRX's. From what I've heard, they cannot push much extra power on stock engine internals and they have weak transmissions. The RS should still have room to work with since they are lower power and their parts are designed to be used witht eh WRX as well, and the STi, well, it's just a whole new beast.

Oh and another thing about teh STi.. I dont like how their intercooler is mounted under the hood scoop. It would have been much better if they front-mounted it.
jomotopia

Post by jomotopia »

^^ lol, well the TMIC is why the hood scoop is there in the first place :P with the flat 4 engine there is room for it on the top, and the way things are in the engine bay a FMIC leads to longer piping and increased turbo lag. but i think one of the reasons was for the front bumper impact rating. i can't remember if we talked about that here before or if it was on one of the Suby forums.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

jomotopia wrote:^^ lol, well the TMIC is why the hood scoop is there in the first place :P with the flat 4 engine there is room for it on the top, and the way things are in the engine bay a FMIC leads to longer piping and increased turbo lag. but i think one of the reasons was for the front bumper impact rating. i can't remember if we talked about that here before or if it was on one of the Suby forums.
nope.. wasnt talked about.. so how would a FMIC affect bumper rating?
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Automakers are required to design bumpers that will withstand a low-speed crash with no injuries to the passengers and no damage to anything but the bumper. I don't remember the requirement was for 5 or 10 mph, might be 2.5 mph (I've seen that on cars, although I always thought it was at least 5 mph). I'm guessing that it would be pretty easy to ruin an FMIC if they tried to put one in there, especially if the rest of the system was mostly in place.