how do u start off with a hard launch?

1320 feet of adrenaline
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Well, that's what "performance upgrades" essentially boils down to: better performance, poorer reliability, less comfort. Pretty much every performance upgrade (especially in the horsepower game, not so much in handling upgrades) involves making your car as a system work harder to make more power and involves compromises to gain the performance. Exhaust? Louder noise. Air filter? More dirt going into your engine (less being and filtered, and with ram air, risk of sucking up water. Bigger cam? More aggressive ramp rates = greater wear + more heat. Even replacing a part with a better, stronger one causes problems; you get a clutch that bites harder, that puts more strain on the tranny. You get stiffer suspension pieces (control arms, springs, etc.), the suspension transmits more stress to other components.

I fully understand how senseless it appears, and how silly it is to waste money making a car go faster, especially with the prices for mods nowadays. But one can say the same about making a car look nice, or making a car's audio system sound nice. In the end, it boils down to kids (whether they're 16 or 60) having too much money to spend on anything better. :) If none of that mattered, we'd all be driving Civics. Besides, I prefer my car; it doesn't b*tch at me as often as the g/f. :D
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

You absolutely nailed it in your last sentence. Personally, I just don't see the point of applying my money (and I am financially secure, however not wealthy, per se) into an ever-depreciating tool.

With the right (or rather, large) amount of extra cash, I bet it'd be fun to mod up a car. Yet so many folks I see modding have little to no cash; those are the people I refer to as two steps short of insane.

Thanks for the insight. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
mikesta21
Junior Standardshifter

Post by mikesta21 »

can you decribe a jackrabbit start? from what you said that seemed like a more healthy way to accelerate from a stop-all of this dropping and slipping has me nervous about ruining a transmission.

i would just watch the video but i get no sound on the aggressive start one.
damn i wish i knew about cars...
LS1Leader
Master Standardshifter

Post by LS1Leader »

Johnf514 wrote:You absolutely nailed it in your last sentence. Personally, I just don't see the point of applying my money (and I am financially secure, however not wealthy, per se) into an ever-depreciating tool.

With the right (or rather, large) amount of extra cash, I bet it'd be fun to mod up a car. Yet so many folks I see modding have little to no cash; those are the people I refer to as two steps short of insane.

Thanks for the insight. :wink:
Well, people do buy lottery tickets... and booze... and cigarettes... :roll:

I hear ya on some of those fixed up cars though. I won't go on, lest I run my mouth the wrong way, but I will say that there's always someone faster and richer than you out there.
grievre
Senior Standardshifter

Post by grievre »

If you race a lot, stuff on your car will break pretty often
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

:lol:

That sums it up.

Come to think of it, a lot of these rich modders must have a regular car and a mod car. I wouldn't know; the posers around here blow each paycheck on ground effects and dent up their body kits week by week.
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
grievre
Senior Standardshifter

Post by grievre »

I mean watch nascar or NHRA. Every race, someone blows an engine, snaps a driveshaft, misses a gear, smashes their front end or something.
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

Of course they do. They are racing for prize money, status, and their sponsers (sp?). However, is the average modder racing for this? Do you get a cash reward and thousands from Pepsi for being the 3rd place to work?

In that lies my point. Yet, I do know, my point is no fun. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
acadien
Senior Standardshifter

Post by acadien »

mikesta21 wrote:can you decribe a jackrabbit start? from what you said that seemed like a more healthy way to accelerate from a stop-all of this dropping and slipping has me nervous about ruining a transmission.

i would just watch the video but i get no sound on the aggressive start one.
jackrabbit start is a regular start, but faster.
richie_gen8v6
Junior Standardshifter

what gear should i get the fast start in!?

Post by richie_gen8v6 »

i get the whole dropping the clutch but should you start in 1st gear? or can you start at a higher gear since you have some speed off the get go? if im an idiot adress me as one cuz i just got my first stick a week ago and ive only driven it twice.
why is there a third pedal!!!
Cruel Night
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Subaru Forester

Post by Cruel Night »

alright, address you as an idiot :p

k, if you're wanting a hard launch, you don't want to rev-up and rop the clutch due to it being extremely difficult on the all the parts. The method of feathering the clutch is around here somewhere, i'm just too lazy to retype it... lol as for the take off, you would want to start in 1st for more accleration and wind that gear to redline as well as 2nd, 3rd, 4th.. etc/
2005 Saturn Ion 3
~Resident Drag Queen~
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Post by jcprov21 »

Dropping the clutch will cause a peel-out wont it? I dont think i would want to do that, i don't have money for new tires right now.

But maybe later :D
Last edited by jcprov21 on Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

jcprov21 wrote:Dropping the clutch will cause a peel-out wont it? I dont think i would want to do that, i do have money for new tires right now.

But maybe later :D
It did for me today when I stalled on a hill when I let out the clutch too much without adding gas. On the retry, I held the car on the hill with the clutch for a second and then added a generous dose of gas and pretty much dropped the clutch as soon as i added the gas. Talk about 5-second peel-out :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
sndamssg
Junior Standardshifter

Post by sndamssg »

If you live in a northern climate, wait until winter to practice your hard launch technique. Once there's snow on the ground, you can experiment w/o stressing your drivetrain and clutch. The key is in migrating your skills from snow to concrete. As you get more comfortable, you can progress to surfaces that offer more and more traction. Start in a snow covered (unplowed) parking lot, move to a slushy street, and then on to a lightly snow-dusted street. Using this technique will reduce the rolling resistance that causes clutch wear. Normally, the tradeoff here is for tire wear, but since you're in snow, you needn't worry about that.
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

Post by jcprov21 »

Nah, i live in the california central coast. But a good tip for anywone who does! :D