is Smooth or quick shifting better?

1320 feet of adrenaline
User avatar
Azrael
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: Belmont, CA

Postby Azrael » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:27 pm

PureLife wrote:
snikro wrote:
Nychold wrote:
snikro wrote:Haha I love how in the beginning of this scene how the guy in the eclipse just SLAMS the shifter its like there was no resistance at all :lol:
And at 53 seconds how the guy sees him coming up and then floors his car, yeah like he wasnt already. And the nitrous always gets me too. :mrgreen:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mUm3BzHa508


My favorite part is how, right near the end, both cars were going 120+, and STILL had another gear to go! :lol: x 100


Yeah lol but it actually looks like he downshifts to 4th at 120 :DD
My 4th in the BMW is good until 135 or so.

Subaru on the other hand ... 105. Oh yeah. :lol:


The gearing in my car:
1st to 43
2nd to 69
3rd to 100
4th to 144
5th to ~177
6th is useless for top speed
-=2003 Black Corvette Z06=-

User avatar
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:23 am
Cars: '91 Camaro RS, '86 944
Location: Naval Aviation School, Pensacola, Florida
Contact:

Postby DocPHD » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:34 am

Azrael wrote:The gearing in my car:
...
6th is useless for top speed


is that a governer chip reason or a lack of road straight/long/without-traffic enough reason?

EDIT: btw, it's rated to top out at 198
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs

User avatar
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 9441
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:04 am
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT
Location: Ithaca, NY

Postby eaglecatcher » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:41 am

DocPHD wrote:
Azrael wrote:The gearing in my car:
...
6th is useless for top speed


is that a governer chip reason or a lack of road straight/long/without-traffic enough reason?

EDIT: btw, it's rated to top out at 198


that's because there isn't enough power to keep accelerating with that gear, with all the resistance it faces at those speeds.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs

User avatar
Azrael
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: Belmont, CA

Postby Azrael » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:34 am

eaglecatcher wrote:
DocPHD wrote:
Azrael wrote:The gearing in my car:
...
6th is useless for top speed


is that a governer chip reason or a lack of road straight/long/without-traffic enough reason?

EDIT: btw, it's rated to top out at 198


that's because there isn't enough power to keep accelerating with that gear, with all the resistance it faces at those speeds.


Precisely, 6th is a second OD gear with my 1:1 in 4th... Car will still accelerate in 5th, but up to the top of 4th it is a rocketship. BTW there is no governer on my car... :twisted:
-=2003 Black Corvette Z06=-

User avatar
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:23 am
Cars: '91 Camaro RS, '86 944
Location: Naval Aviation School, Pensacola, Florida
Contact:

Postby DocPHD » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:51 am

Azrael wrote:Precisely, 6th is a second OD gear with my 1:1 in 4th... Car will still accelerate in 5th, but up to the top of 4th it is a rocketship. BTW there is no governer on my car... :twisted:


hmm i'm starting to think the same for my car... I've hit 150 and no auto-shutdown... I wonder what that's like? :lol:
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs

User avatar
Johnf514
Moderator
Posts: 8568
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:59 pm
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Postby Johnf514 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:59 am

DocPHD - I had my 1999 Camaro V6 5-speed up to 130+ (past the speedometer) and did not hit a governor. Only reason I stopped was a patch in the left-rear tire had me worried of a blow-out. :P
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar

User avatar
DocPHD
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:23 am
Cars: '91 Camaro RS, '86 944
Location: Naval Aviation School, Pensacola, Florida
Contact:

Postby DocPHD » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:14 am

Johnf514 wrote:DocPHD - I had my 1999 Camaro V6 5-speed up to 130+ (past the speedometer) and did not hit a governor. Only reason I stopped was a patch in the left-rear tire had me worried of a blow-out. :P


gee. do Camaros even have govs? :lol:
wait... must be an option
GM CEO wrote: What is a Camaro? it's a small ferocious animal that eats Mustangs

User avatar
Azrael
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: Belmont, CA

Postby Azrael » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:13 am

DocPHD wrote:
Johnf514 wrote:DocPHD - I had my 1999 Camaro V6 5-speed up to 130+ (past the speedometer) and did not hit a governor. Only reason I stopped was a patch in the left-rear tire had me worried of a blow-out. :P


gee. do Camaros even have govs? :lol:
wait... must be an option


Actually his V6 should have had a governor, as GM put them on any car without the Z-Rated tires (even some of the Z28's and B4C cars with the LS1).
-=2003 Black Corvette Z06=-

User avatar
Johnf514
Moderator
Posts: 8568
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:59 pm
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Postby Johnf514 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:10 am

My thoughts exactly, Azrael. Not sure where that governor was, but I was past the 125 MPH on the speedometer. :P Maybe 135?
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar


Return to “Drag Racing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests