2008 Mazda3i Touring Value Edition

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
camera_man
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: '97 Jeep, '12 Cruze

Post by camera_man »

Overall - 4.5

Handling- 5
Power- 4
Comfort/Ride - 4
Fuel Economy - 3.5
Style- 5
Practicality- 4.5
Fun- 5

Transitioning into my second year of college, I had a very strong desire to upgrade my 1997 Honda Civic to something that would be a little bit nicer for the 7 hours drive to the tip of the Upper Peninsula. After landing a pretty decent summer job, I realized that I had the money saved up to pay for both school and a new car (as in brand new). Thus the search began. I knew that it would have to be something pretty inexpensive (hey, we are still in college here), good on gas mileage, and have plenty of space for all my stuff that needed to get brought up to college. I was pretty easy to please, as the only requirements were a standard transmission, A/C, keyless entry (once you have this, you'll never go back), and an AUX input for my iPod. Oh, and it had to be fun...

I began with my initial list of cars, which included the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Scion tC, VW Rabbit, Honda Fit, Nissan Versa and Sentra, Mazda3, and Subaru Impreza. After doing some internet research, I narrowed it down to the new Civic, the Sentra, the Rabbit, and the Mazda3. I got rid of the Toyota because I cannot disassociate Toyota with boring, sorry. The Fit was too funky, along with the Versa. The tC did not offer the amount of space that was required for all of my stuff. After much looking, I decided that I could not bring myself to like the looks of the new Impreza. Continuing my looking, I finally got it down to the the Mazda3 and the VW.

I began by test driving the Mazda3, and was expecting good things because my mom drives a Mazda6, which is a great car. The Mazda3 was fun, quick, with great handling and plenty of space. However, after driving the VW, I came away with just about the same feelings. My ultimate decision to choose the Mazda3 was more of a gut feeling than a reasonable one (but hey, isn't that how a car should be - it should just feel right). Ever since they introduced the Mazda3 I told myself that I wanted to drive one. Such a highly reviewed car for so little money, it seemed to just be the right decision. So, I called up the dealer and bought one...

Handling
Wow, can this car ever corner! Living in the northern Upper Peninsula, there are plenty of great twisty roads to really let my Mazda3 fly. It will devour every corner with ease, never even complaining (except for sharp 90 degree turns at 45 mph, when they are marked at 15 :twisted: ). There is very minimal body roll, and the suspension will absorb just about any bump, even when under hard cornering. This car just doesn't lose its composure, and when it does, it understeers in a very predictable manner. I feel very confident driving this car on the most demanding of roads, knowing that it will outperform my driving abilities at the moment.

Power
For only having a 2.0 liter I4 making 148 hp and 135 ft-lbs of torque, this car can move! From a standstill, I can keep up with just about anything, and DCing into 3 on the highway makes passing slow cars a breeze. Running the gears up to about 5k will yield acceleration that is move than adequate for daily driving. Even in spirited mountain runs, so long as the revs are held up, there is plenty of power on tap. Way more than my 1997 Civic ever had. The only time that I feel underpowered is some of the large hills around here, as even in second gear, the engine tends to struggle - but those are rare occasions. In addition to the available power, the delivery of the power is very smooth. The engine sounds great at higher rpms, and loves to run up there. Managing the power is a standard 5 speed gear box, which has an awesome feel to it. The clutch is very light and easy to modulate, and the shifter throw is short, with a very definitive, precise feel to it. DCHTing is not problem after a bit of practice, as the pedals aren't set up in the perfect position.

Comfort/Ride
The most impressive aspect of this car is how it rides like a much larger car, even though it is still and economy car. The ride is smooth, however the suspension is a bit on the stiff side, but that's to be expected given the competence with which it handles corners. Interior noise is also very well kept, with road noise only really beginning to become noticeable above 60-65 mph. The seats are very comfortable and supportive. They hold you in place while taking quick corners, yet are still comfortable after a 7+ hour drive. The front seats have great room for people of all sizes. I was surprised, because I actually had to move the seat forward from its furthest back position because I could not reach the clutch comfortably. The back seat have great head room, but if there is a taller person in front of you, leg room may become a bit cramped.

Fuel Economy
This is my biggest complaint with the Mazda3, but I was aware of it going in. As far as economy cars go, the Mazda3 has lower than average fuel economy. In the city I average between 24 and 27 mpg. Driving up to school I got 38 mpg. I have fun while I drive, so it's cool with me...

Style
LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! That was part of the "gut feeling" when buying this car. It just looks great from every angle. More than once I've walked out to my car and thought, "I can't believe that I'm driving this!" The 17 inch alloys that came standard on the Touring Value Edition are really nice. The interior is also very good. It does not have the same feeling as other economy cars. The materials are really nice, and the entire color scheme really makes it click. The entire car, both inside and out, looks very upscale - not always typical of econoboxes.

Practicality
It's a four door sedan, so not much more really needs to be said. I have plenty of space for my college stuff, groceries, or four friends, whatever it may be. I cannot haul HUGE items, but since the rear seats fold down, there is plenty of room. For a small car, the trunk is gigantic. So much space... Only downside if the opening in a bit weird/small. Having so much space, yet being a small car means you can carry a lot and still maneuver around a parking lot very well. This car is really the right blend of space and size for my needs. Oh, and the glove box is RIDICULOUS!!! I can fit my entire 15.4 inch laptop (in its case) in there, and still have the same amount of space left over as the glove box in my old Civic. Wow...

Fun
This car is amazing! The combination of power, handling, style, comfort, and practicality make it just a blast to drive. I will go on two hour long drives, just because I can. Whenever my friends and I go out somewhere, I will always say, "I'll drive!" That should just about sum it up.

Overall, I really feel that for the price, this car is difficult to beat. It has the perfect blend of practicality, performance, and style. I do not regret my decision one bit.

Update:
The tires that come standard on this car are TERRIBLE in the snow. Even the slightest amount of gas in first will yield wheel spin. Turning will almost always cause understeer. I will be buying snow tires in the very near future.
Last edited by camera_man on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 Chevy Cruze
1.4L Turbo, 6 speed

1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, 5 speed
Werty
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 09 Mazda3

Re: 2008 Mazda3i Touring Value Edition

Post by Werty »

Nice review, I can agree with everything you say :)
(I have almost the same car as the reviewer, a hatchback with the larger 2.3l engine).
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Post by Jastreb »

When I was choosing my car, it was between the Mazda3 and the Rabbit as well. From my test drive I agree wholeheartedly that the Mazda3 is a good car. I was afraid it might prove a little underpowered though. I remember the shifter and clutch feeling great, even though it was like my 3rd time driving a standard. I kept missing 3rd and getting 5th, wondering what was wrong with it.
There is very minimal body roll, and the suspension will absorb just about any bump, even when under hard cornering.
This is probably where the Mazda3 bests the Rabbit. The Rabbit tends to get upset if you drive it over a bump while cornering. The steering feel in the Mazda is better as well. (Damn electro-mechanical assist :cry:)
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
Werty
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 09 Mazda3

Post by Werty »

Jastreb wrote:I kept missing 3rd and getting 5th, wondering what was wrong with it.
I've never done that, but since it's gotten cold I've occasionally missed 5th and hit 3rd (= unhappy engine and clutch!). I need to change out the rubber shifter brushings for some solid ones once it warms up.
Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Post by Jastreb »

Well me missing 3rd wasn't the car's fault - it was me not being used to the gearbox. The only other manual tranny I had driven prior to that was a beat up Altima with a bent shifter that was pretty vague.
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3