1991 JDM MR2 SW20

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

1991 JDM MR2 SW20

Post by Bawked »

Overall - 4

Handling - 4.5
Power - 3.5
Comfort/Ride - 2.5
Fuel Economy - 3
Style- 4.5
Practicality- 2
Fun- 4.5

The story
Was in the market for my first car so I thought what the hell and bought an impractical 2 seater mid-engine mr2. I always had intended my first car to be rwd, I'm young I wanna have fun in my car so rwd was a must... mr2s are cheap here and the mid-engine interested me so I got one :)

Handling
Mr2s being mid-engine handle as well as anything, it seems like there is no limit to the speed I can take corners. Although it was very loose in the wet but that has been fixed with 245s on the back. The ride is very firm esp with the adjustable suspension in the back dialed to max firmness but its an impractical car so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

To do: Get lowering springs and strut bars.

Power

Apparently this jdm engine gives out 158 crank hp, to the 2600ish lb car which makes it faster than quite alot of cars... although i always find myself wanting more power with a turbo engine being the obvious choice for an upgrade.

I think the 2 does a high 7s 0-60 and a mid 15 1/4 mile, don't hold me to it tho... its not great so i don't care :lol:

To do: turbo half cut buy + install ;)

Comfort/Ride
What comfort? there is none.... I could dial the rear suspension soft but why bother sacrificing handling, I drive hard so I want it handling the best it can. So yea the ride comfort is average at best.

The seats are nice and comfy although I may grab some recaro buckets sometime.... way down the list.

Fuel Economy
28ish mpg need to fix exhaust leak and o2 sensor, should get over 30 easy.

Style
I think its a good looking car otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, its a poor mans Ferrari and Ferrari's look good so it must :wink:

Practicality
None, I can carry 1 passenger. Got the frunk for the spare tire, tools and spare fluids. Got the boot for a couple of bags. There are little containers behind the seats that can store stuff and a center container aswell. But overall mid-engine means less more and so its not as practical.

Fun
Oh its fun, thats why I bought it. I don't care about gas mileage, ride comfort or the lack of room. It all makes sense when you are flying past all those big cars in the hills, its a no-compromise sports car and every drive it puts a smile on my dial. :lol:
<3 fwd
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Re: 1991 JDM MR2 SW20

Post by Tinton »

lol nice, I thought you'd get better mpg though from the N/A 4-cylinder though. You do floor it a lot, so I hear :twisted:.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

bad o2 sensor is like 15% worse economy and then exhaust leak.... plus my lead foot :roll:
<3 fwd
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

Bawked wrote:I think the 2 does a high 7s 0-60 and a mid 15 1/4 mile, don't hold me to it tho... its not great so i don't care :lol:
my car is faster afterall. sorry kurt or kirk (f**k i dont remember your name again goddamn it) i had to dude
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

permabanned wrote:
Bawked wrote:I think the 2 does a high 7s 0-60 and a mid 15 1/4 mile, don't hold me to it tho... its not great so i don't care :lol:
my car is faster afterall. sorry kurt or kirk (f**k i dont remember your name again goddamn it) i had to dude
But mine is faster than yours :wink: :twisted:.

Kirk your car doesn't get 0-60 in high 7's and a mid 15 1/4. I'm pretty sure that's what the North American N/A MR2 does in the 0-60 and 1/4. Yours is JDM with like 25 more hp I bet it gets 0-60 in high 6's and the 1/4 in high 14's/low 15's.
Bawked
Master Standardshifter

Post by Bawked »

permabanned wrote:
haha well i guess my car is faster, sucks to be you right now :wink:

oh and btw once corners are added the advantage just grows :wink:
<3 fwd