Crackberry Storm

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Crackberry Storm

Post by permabanned »

basically, the phone is full of win. its the first touchscreen blackberry. the 4 buttons on the bottom are real buttons, rest of the phone is all touchscreen, and you also get a STFU and lock buttons on top of the phone.

calling
its just like any other cell phone, sound quality is good like it is on all the new phones. to call you click the call button and it brings up the phone keyboard on the touchscreen

texting
this phone, along with pretty much every other phone in the past few years has been designed with a heavy texter in mind. it has a full qwerty keyboard that renders multitap completely obsolete the first time you use it. when the phone is held horizontally you get the full keyboard, when you hold it vertical, you get a 2 letters per button multitap like the old blackberrys with button keyboards. why anyone would do taht over a qwerty keyboard i dont know. accelerometer is quick and precise, and if you dont know, its the thing that senses which way your holding the phone and rotates the screen
for other blackberrys, and maybe other phones, but blackberrys for sure, you can pin text. basically instead of sending a text to their number, you are sending it their pin. when you know each others pins, you can use your phones as an instant messenger and you can send files and stuff. i thought this was pretty cool. then you can send emails and shit too.

interwebz
you get full real internet on this phone, none of that retarded phone version of internet. you can store bookmarks and stuff, you scroll by dragging your finger on the touchscreen, and you can either be in regualr mode where you scroll by dragging, or you can go into a cursor mode where you can click on stuff. alternatively, if your in regular mode, you can click on whatever it is you are clicking on and it will zoom in a few times to where it can clearly see what your clicking on and it will register it as a regular mouse click and will go there. but cursor mode is useful for stuff like going to the last page of a multipage thread because with my big thumbs, clicking on the little number is clumsy. internet is fast. obviously not real computer fast, but very fast for a phone. compared to the older crackberrys, storm is way faster

quality
its a sharp looking phone, theres no denying that. buttons feel solid and clicking feels positive like a good clicker torque wrench. the click down screen feels solid as well, it doesnt feel like pushing down onto a sponge, the whole screen clicks down, it doesnt bend down where you are pushing. only thing i dont like is the screen moves around a little bit, but i assume thats for thermal expansion.

music
this is also an mp3 player and it has a regular headphone jack on it, and it comes with headphones

camera
its a 3.2 megapixel with zoom. picture quality is obviously not great, its a phone camera afterall, but its good. probably on par with a few years back PNSs, when they had 3-4 megapixel PNSs
it also has a video camera, but i havent messed with that yet

other stuff
this phone is just like most other handhelds, its a small mobile computer. pretty much everything you use on a daily basis on your computer you have on the phone or you can get for this phone. this is better way of putting it instead of listing all the shit it can do and forgetting half of it
here are the official blackberry specs
http://www.blackberry.com/blackberrysto ... ions.shtml

overall
i love the phone. plain and simple. its awesome.

price
wait for your contract to expire and get one, it will be around 200 dollars with a 2 year plan. or ditch your company and switch to verizon. IIRC they retail for 600 dollars if you feel like buying one.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Crackberry Storm

Post by watkins »

Chance of sexual encounter?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not the accelerometer that flips the screen. It's a gyroscope-like thing. Accelerometer measures G force rate during acceleration/deceleration.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Mustang Coupe

Post by ihartmacz »

My friend got one and it was full of fail.

There not good outcome of a sexual encounter with this phone.

It's either going to become broken because it's too wet or your **** breaks it.
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

your friend is a noob and fails at modern technology.

im not stupid enough to be looking at shit on the phone when im outside and its raining. what most people do in those situations is try to get inside or out of the rain before they get on their phones

and i have taken 2 shits while on the interwebz, and the phone works fine. only problem is that when im done, i have to get on my puter and go thru and spell check whatever i just got done posting from the shitter
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

BlackBerry Storm is pretty much garbage. The hardware is chunky, the OS is incredibly unresponsive, it locks up constantly, the BlackBerry OS has NOT been optimized for touch screen Storm (why keep the same text BlackBerry menus on the touch screen??) The web browser is decent, and of course you can get others, but no mobile browser surpasses Skyfire, which is only available for Windows Mobile and Symbian.

I think I'll keep my Windows Mobile Samsung SCH-i760. :P
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

The Storm is a bad ass phone - I work at Verizon. Most people there have one..

Oh yeah... Phone is full retail at $500.

The phones menus are kind of fail, I hate the Black Berry menus..

BTW - I know when Verizon gets the Bold...
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter

Post by ElectroGhandi »

ihartmacz wrote:The Storm is a bad ass phone - I work at Verizon. Most people there have one..
I never understood why cell phone salesmen all have BlackBerries. I'm not even a fan of the ones that aren't total garbage (like the Curve and Bold). I just prefer a really robust mobile OS like Windows Mobile that offers nearly limitless customization (my phone appears to be running Windows Vista) :D
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

permabanned wrote:im not stupid enough to be looking at shit on the phone when im outside and its raining. what most people do in those situations is try to get inside or out of the rain before they get on their phones
Image I use my phone in any weather conditions and it's never a problem.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

watkins wrote:Chance of sexual encounter?
Seems to work well with the Nokia N95. :wink:
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
ihartmacz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by ihartmacz »

You can't read the ESN or MEID on my Motorola Q9c anymore because of the caked on semen...
1998 Ford Mustang
3.8L V6 AKA "Essex"
"Hot Doritos"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

ElectroGhandi wrote: I never understood why cell phone salesmen all have BlackBerries. I'm not even a fan of the ones that aren't total garbage (like the Curve and Bold). I just prefer a really robust mobile OS like Windows Mobile that offers nearly limitless customization (my phone appears to be running Windows Vista) :D
Well, windows mobile is far from a robust OS. It's often inefficient, laggy and crash-prone - especially when you really try to multitask. Both my Windows Mobile devices experience this, although one more than the other. Blackberrys offer WiFi, bluetooth, real web browsing and access to company and personal email with push. That's all the main features (aside from corporate email) that a Windows Mobile phone offers but it's more stable. Function over form, I suppose. Customization is of little importance to me.

I'm a cellphone salesman but I don't have a Blackberry. I will most likely be using the G1.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Holding out for a Verizon iPhone 4G :P

ihartmacz, any internal rumors as to when Verizon's gonna roll out their LTE network and phones?
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter

Post by ElectroGhandi »

AHTOXA, my Windows Mobile phones don't crash any more than a BlackBerry does. If you are dumb enough to leave programs running that you are done with and that eat up the RAM, that's your own fault. But in my experiences, my phones (Samsung SCH-i760 and SCH-i730) have been very fast.

If you think a BlackBerry offers the same features as a Windows Mobile phone, you are totally wrong. Show me a BlackBerry that has a TI-83 Plus emulator, full PowerPoint, flash on the Internet (I can watch YouTube vids right on the normal youtube.com site), a file manager that is more powerful than Windows XP's, and of course, the most important of all, a Start menu. :P

Yeah, for some people, a BlackBerry might seem to offer the same stuff (internet, email) as a Windows Mobile device, but it's not on the same level (The best web browser you can get for BlackBerry is Opera Mini, which is pretty good, but it can't match SkyFire on Windows Mobile.)
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

ElectroGhandi wrote:AHTOXA, my Windows Mobile phones don't crash any more than a BlackBerry does. If you are dumb enough to leave programs running that you are done with and that eat up the RAM, that's your own fault. But in my experiences, my phones (Samsung SCH-i760 and SCH-i730) have been very fast.
You making assumptions about my user tendencies shows nothing for yourself. Blackjack II suffer freezing and instability and the Dash's IE crashed every solid 20 minutes when phone is operating on WiFi.
If you think a BlackBerry offers the same features as a Windows Mobile phone, you are totally wrong. Show me a BlackBerry that has a TI-83 Plus emulator, full PowerPoint, flash on the Internet (I can watch YouTube vids right on the normal youtube.com site), a file manager that is more powerful than Windows XP's, and of course, the most important of all, a Start menu. :P
When did I ever state that Blackberry offers all of the same features as a Windows Mobile phone? Go and re-read what I posted. I mentioned the most common and popular features. TI-83 Plus emulator is not a common feature. Skyfire will be available shortly as well.

Yeah, for some people, a BlackBerry might seem to offer the same stuff (internet, email) as a Windows Mobile device, but it's not on the same level (The best web browser you can get for BlackBerry is Opera Mini, which is pretty good, but it can't match SkyFire on Windows Mobile.)
I've been in the wireless business for over 5 years now. I haven't only done sales as I worked in Logistics, closely cooperating with local techs. I have seen all sorts of issues from both side and I have heard all sorts of complaints about either.

Bottom line is that many of smartphone users do not use Powerpoint on the phone, nor do they care about flash all that much, considering there are many user-friendly ways to live without it on the Blackberry. They don't need the TI-83 emulator or the start button. What they do need is a reliable browser, ease of use (not having to shut down programs often if you're multitasking) corporate email and an overall stable OS. For what they use, BB works best w/o the downsides of Windows OS.

There's no better or worse here. This is highly dependent on the user's needs.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650