2009 VW New Beetle 2.5 auto

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

2009 VW New Beetle 2.5 auto

Post by AHTOXA »

I was given this car as a loaner and have driven it for 150 miles before I returned it so I shall write up a review.

Performance - 3.5

Equipped with the same engine as my car, but the 150 hp version. Mine's 170. It feels similar but it's an auto. The torque delivery is quite spikey in this car. It's a known fact with this version of the 2.5. This makes it strange to drive and I'm sure the auto contributes to this somehow as well. Sometimes the car seems to lunge and then back off. I can drive smoother in my manual, in fact.

Handling - 3

This car is different. Mine uses electro-mechanical steering which dampens jolts and bumps while this car uses regular hydro-assisted steering. Stability over 70 mph left some to be desired. The car is has a high roof line, perhaps that contributes as well.

Fun factor - 5

I gave it a five for the following reason. I had to drive downtown today at 4:30. So here I am in the Beetle listening to death metal on full blast with the window cracked about 2 inches. There are people walking around everywhere trying to leave work early to beat the crowds. I got really funny looks from various people. I mean death metal in a Beetle? I would have wondered as well. :lol: People's confusion is amusing but this would get old pretty fast.

Value - 3

At 20k bucks all this car has that mine does not are heated seats, which I don't care about. It drives kinda crappy, even compared to mine and is generally nothing special. It's fine for my mom but I could care less.

Feasibility of sexual encounters

Well, how should I put this delicately? This really depends on which team you play for.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Re: 2009 VW New Beetle 2.5 auto

Post by vedran »

overall, this car is sucks. i got to beat on one when i used to work for BB/geek squad.

the tiptronic shift takes ~2 seconds before it recognizes that you want to change gears.

surprisingly, it was comfortable for what it was.
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, it does suck. My seats feel more comfy, though. Maybe it's because over the year of driving it I managed to form a butt-shaped mold in mine.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

I drove my friend's old '99 2.slow 5-speed before he traded it for a MKV GTI. It was the first stick car I drove other than mine, and it felt really...pansy like. Light clutch, no jerkiness, didnt feel like a car you'd want to drive spiritedly. But then, I drove a 20th GTI and it felt nearly the same as the Beetle, so I figured it was a Dub thing. Still prefer a rougher car. I'm old style I guess.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

instead of metal, would bob marley be better coming otu of a yellow beetle? cuz thats what my dad does... and no, he doesn't smoke
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

I could see Marley coming out of a Beetle... But not a yellow one... and there'd be smoke coming out of the windows...

It'd be much more fun in a different car though.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200