T-Mobile G1 (Google Phone)

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

T-Mobile G1 (Google Phone)

Post by AHTOXA »

Overall 3.5/5

Appearance. It's no secret that the G1 was not designed to win any phone sex appeal contests. It's rather plain, basic and simple. Not to say this is a bad thing, really. It's more of a love it or hate it thing to many people. The screen is rather large and is second only to the iPhone. It is a touch screen and is very responsive and accurate. The phone is large and heavy and when wrapped in a traction case isn't easy to fit in the jeans' pocket. Mind you I don't wear tight emo jeans either.

Functionality. The Android operating system is up-and-coming but it's not quite there yet. It takes a slightly different visual approach to the menu layouts and functions but it's rather easy to get used to and soon becomes autonomous. The marketplace has lots of apps to chose from and most are free. This is similar to the iPhone but not as polished yet. Some apps are quite garbage and don't work as advertised. One thing I didn't like, is that there's no way to end applications. They seem to still run in the background when you exit to the home screen. This can make the phone a bit laggy and slow at times. It didn't happen often but I have noticed this on a few occasions.

Google maps and GPS work wonderfully. I have compared the accuracy with my existing GPS and was please. It's quick and precise. There are many GPS-based apps in the Marketplace, which can make the feature very useful and fun. One of such apps that I was using was oriented for bicycles. It mapped your route traveled, measured elevation changes, average speed over the last minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes and overall.

I do have on big gripe with this phone. While the keyboard is rather well laid-out, texting is real pain. I have rather large hands, yet when the phone is open to reveal the keyboard, the bulge on the right side where the home keys are gets in the way. I have not been able to find a comfortable position to type in the week that I've used this phone.

Browsing. Web browsing is great on this phone but you better install Opera Mini or other good browser. The one that came with the phone was alright but not really full-featured. Wi-Fi and 3G support make browsing quite fast whether I'm around town or at home. I often used the phone to browse Standardshift rather than whip out my laptop.

Battery life. This is another downside. The battery life is quite sub-par. It's a heavy phone and I assumed at first that the battery must contribute to it somewhat as it's required to support powerhogs like Wi-Fi, 3G, GPS and a large screen. In my experience, battery life could be as little as 2-3 hours when browsing on Wi-Fi and sending a few text messages with a few calls mixed-in.

Without typing up a lengthy review, which I'm afraid this is already shaping up to be, I would like to draw the bottom line. It's a great phone with up-and-coming OS which will see improvements in many areas as it catches on, but the hardware is lacking a bit. While I do like heavy phones and I don't mind the large size, the battery life is unacceptable and the ergonomics are not for me. I shall pass.

Feasibility of sexual encounters. With a phone as large as this it might hurt a bit.

P.S. I have placed an order for BlackBerry 8900 Javelin. I suppose most cellphone salesmen do have BlackBerry phones. :D
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Zexel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2005 Scion tC RS 1.0

Re: T-Mobile G1 (Google Phone)

Post by Zexel »

I was never a big fan of the G1. The OS is pretty good for their first shot, but HTC could've done better with the hardware.

You'll love the 8900 Curve though - it's a great phone. I have a Bold and an iPhone on AT&T so I have the best of both I think. Oh and I am a cell phone salesman so what you said is true. :/
Driving stick since April 8th, 2008.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, I'm a cellphone salesman myself.

I think it's safe to assume you work for AT&T, correct?
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I had no idea it had a keyboard. That's a whole new ballgame...I might actually get one someday.

Looks like Sprint doesn't have them.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

G1 is only available with T-Mobile. Much like iPhone with AT&T.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Zexel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2005 Scion tC RS 1.0

Post by Zexel »

AHTOXA wrote:Yeah, I'm a cellphone salesman myself.

I think it's safe to assume you work for AT&T, correct?
You'd be incorrect, sir. I work for Best Buy Mobile..we carry AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon. I have 2 AT&T lines cause they have the iPhone, and the best BlackBerry at the moment. When a new BlackBerry comes out(like the 9630 on Verizon), I'll cut off that line, which is a no contract agent plan, and get a similar plan on either Sprint or Verizon.

What carrier do you represent?
Driving stick since April 8th, 2008.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Currently at T-Mobile corporate.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650