Samsung SCH-i760

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Samsung SCH-i760

Post by ElectroGhandi »

**this review is not finished. I will finish it later**
Samsung SCH-i760

Overall: 4.5/5
Speed: 3
Style: 5
Build Quality: 5
Battery life: 4
Power/usefulness: 5
Ease of use: 4

I acquired this SCH-i760 in November 2008 from the insurance company. My Samsung SCH-i730...
...had a little "issue" and needed to be replaced. So for $50, they sent this i760 to me, brand new in box.

400 MHz Samsung processor
128 MB RAM
Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional
1.3 Megapixel camera
Slideout QWERTY keyboard
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth

- Availability: This phone was only available for Verizon Wireless, but is no longer sold in the stores. You would have to buy it used from eBay or something.

- Speed: The i760 is a pretty snappy phone. When you slide the keyboard out, the screen instantly rotates, which is a problem with HTC devices. It takes them a second or two to rotate after you slide the keyboard. This i760 is much more fast than my old i730. There is never really any time that the phone lags enough to impede what I am doing. The only reason this section is a "3" is because for some reason, the keyboard is really slow. If you are a fast typer, the phone will be a few words behind you, and it may miss letters. This is a pretty annoying issue, and I'm not sure why this occurs because the rest of the phone is fast.

- Style: I think this is a really nice looking phone. The first time I saw a picture of it, I thought it was pretty ugly. However, I saw it in person a little while after and the pictures don't do it justice. It also grows on you over time. The number pad on the front is pretty cool as well. It's certainly not necessary, but why not have it? This phone's main competitor, the HTC 6800, has a gross mess of buttons and switches populating its sides. It has a Wi-Fi switch! I much prefer enabling Wi-Fi in the Control Panel when I need it instead of dealing with a bulky switch on the side of the phone all the time. The 6800 includes a spinning wheel on the side for easy scrolling, but this is only because the normal D-pad is small, hard to use, and poorly placed. I have no problem scrolling with the i760's D-pad. It's large, easy to press, and placed perfectly within comfortable reach of my thumb.

- Build Quality: The i760 is remarkably better than.. pretty much all HTCs I've ever seen. The slider on the i760 feels 100% solid and smooth, whereas the 6800's feels sticky, flimsy, and cheap. The i760 is small and slender, but has a nice weight to it that says, "You have a quality product." The 6800 feels cheap.

- Battery Life: The i760 comes with 2 batteries, just like my i730 did. One standard battery and one extended battery. However, the new extended battery only comes out a centimeter from the phone, which is a major improvement over the i730's extended, which was easily an inch thick. The i760 also has much greater battery time than the i730. I'd have to use both batteries to get through 1 day with the i730. With the i760, the standard battery last me 2 days, and the extended lasts me 3 or 4 days.
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Re: Samsung SCH-i760

Post by mtheis »

That phone is all kinds of fail. It runs Windows Mobile and has an inferior camera.

If you want a real phone, check this out:
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n95_8gb-2088.php

Nokia N95 8GB:

Quad band
8 GB storage
Dual ARM 11 332 MHz processor; 3D Graphics HW Accelerator
128 MB RAM
5 MP, 2592 x 1944 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, LED flash
Video: 30 fps
FM Radio
Bluetooth
GPS
WiFi
Accelerometer
Symbian OS 9.2, S60 rel. 3.1
Unlocked
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter

Post by ElectroGhandi »

1. I like Windows Mobile.
2. The camera isn't all that important to me.
Zexel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2005 Scion tC RS 1.0

Post by Zexel »

I had the N95-4 for a while. That phone was nice,but it didn't have a full keyboard(though I linked my bluetooth keyboard with it), and the Symbian OS is so dated it's not even funny.

I remember when the i760 came out though. A lot of people were trying to decide between that and the HTC Titan (XV6800). I myself would've gone with the Titan, but I hate Windows Mobile with a passion. If I HAD to have a Windows Mobile phone I would get something with WM Standard like the Samsung Jack, HTC OZone/Snap, or even rock the old Moto Q9.
Driving stick since April 8th, 2008.
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Feasibility of sexual encounters?
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

ColJessip wrote:Feasibility of sexual encounters?
None if it runs any version of Windows. :P
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

mtheis wrote:
ColJessip wrote:Feasibility of sexual encounters?
None if it runs any version of Windows. :P
oh yea cause a linux smart phone will pull so much more poon....
<3 fwd
Silverado
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 Silverado

Post by Silverado »

My girlfriend's sister gave this to me for free. I agree, build quality gets a 5. Solid brick.

However, it is the damnedest difficult thing to use. I ended up selling it on ebay for $85.

Especially after having an ipod touch for a while.
Been driving stick since March of 2009
paul34 wrote:good luck on the stickshifting journey - it never ends! And we're all in it together.
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter

Post by ElectroGhandi »

Silverado wrote:My girlfriend's sister gave this to me for free. I agree, build quality gets a 5. Solid brick.

However, it is the damnedest difficult thing to use. I ended up selling it on ebay for $85.

Especially after having an ipod touch for a while.
Windows Mobile has a steep learning curve, even if you are an avid Windows PC user. When I first tried Windows Mobile, I was really put off and bought a Treo 650 with Palm OS. A month later, I got my i730 and discovered the true power of Windows Mobile. You just have to be patient.
Silverado
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Do you use the wifi? Bluetooth? Verizon Browser?

It just did not seem practical, especially for the way I live. I have a problem with excess features on my technology. For example, transmission. Don't need that slushbox.
Been driving stick since March of 2009
paul34 wrote:good luck on the stickshifting journey - it never ends! And we're all in it together.
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter

Post by ElectroGhandi »

Yeah I use the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. What is "Verizon Browser"? I use Internet Explorer for quick, basic info lookup or to send a message quickly on Facebook Mobile, and I use Skyfire for true web browsing when I need to use the actual website.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Seems Fennec (Firefox Mobile) is getting closer. It's on the third Alpha right now and it might get to Beta this year, but it'll still only work on touchscreen phones (Not a problem for you).

Note, in case there's any lack of clarity: Most users should at least wait for the Beta.
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter

Post by ElectroGhandi »

Skyfire is by no means a fantastic piece of software; I dread starting it up and using it, but you can't argue that it isn't powerful and useful. It takles Flash-heavy sites with 0 struggle.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Typically I only use Skyfire if Opera won't do the job (Chiefly those Flash-heavy sites you're talking about). I prefer the code be processed client-side when at all possible, and Skyfire processes websites on their server and sends the results to your phone. Personally, WM would be pretty tough to take without Opera...