iRobot Looj Gutter Cleaning Robot

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

iRobot Looj Gutter Cleaning Robot

Post by jomotopia »

http://www.buy.com/prod/irobot-looj-120 ... caid=17653

This is an older model that I bought cheap because I wasn't sure if it would really work or not. When I bought it there was an instant rebate and it ended up only costing $30.

Overall this product works. The newer models seem to solve some of the problems that I have with mine.

The external antenna can get stuck on the gutter hangers. Newer models have an internal antenna. Sometimes it has trouble getting traction. Newer models have wider treads.

Range is not great but not bad, and you can place the remote up against the gutter (if your gutter is metal) to extend the range.

I have a split level 2 story house. I got on the lower portion of the roof and sent this thing down those 2 gutters. It got stuck in large clumps of debris a couple of times and I had to go get it. But I learned that controlling it properly can prevent it from getting stuck. You basically have to go forward and back in small increments when you reach large clogs. Then I put it in the top roof level gutters and sent it down. This is when I got nervous, because if it got stuck, I wasn't going to easily be able to go get it. Luckily I had learned to control it properly and it didn't get stuck.

However, one thing that I didn't think of is: don't park your car under the gutters! All the debris flew on my car. But it was already dirty anyway.

On the last of my 4 gutters, on the top level of the roof, at the very end of the gutter, as far away from me as it could get... the battery died. This really sucked because I had to go get a second ladder, carry it on to the lower portion of the roof, place it across the peak of the roof, and climb onto the higher portion of the roof. Kinda scary. I had to do this because I don't have a really long ladder that will reach from the ground to the high portion of the roof.

Considering how much junk was in my gutters (they were REALLY clogged), I suppose the battery lasted a decent amount of time. I did end up getting almost all the gutters cleaned on one charge, but I had to go get it and clean the last couple of feet by hand. The real disappointment is that there is a light on the unit itself that tells you when the battery is low, but you can't see it while it's in the gutter 20 feet away from you. An indicator light on the handle/remote would be nice.

Overall it's a good product, especially at the price I got it for, and I will use it 2 or 3 times a year to keep my gutters clear.

Value: 5/5 - Great for the price I paid. The newer ones seem a little too pricey IMO.
Quality: 4/5 - Does a very good job cleaning the gutters.
Ease of Use: 3/5 - Once you get the hang of it, it's not too hard to use. But it still takes a long time to clean the gutters, and you will get it stuck several times until you get used to it.
Feasibility of Sexual Encounters: -1/5 - Seriously, it's a gutter cleaning robot. No girl is going to get hot for that, and with all the debris that you're going to kick up, you'l probably be pretty dirty after you use it. So it likely has a negative effect in this category.
OVERALL: 4/5
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: iRobot Looj Gutter Cleaning Robot

Post by theholycow »

Damn you, you've reminded me that I ought to clean my gutters.

I'll be doing it by hand, though.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

Thanks for these interesting product reviews! Things I probably would not have learned about otherwise.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

I <3 iRobot. I've personally got a Roomba, Scooba, and a Dirt Dog (to clean up after the Alfa :P).