2007 Impreza 2.5i SE

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

2007 Impreza 2.5i SE

Post by 4onthefloor »

So I've been driving this car daily for a little over 3 months and I figured I'd give it my best shot at a non-biased review. I don't know if anyone is interested but I know Imprezas are moderately priced and fairly popular cars. The Impreza has changed looks quite a few times over the past decade, but the premise remains the same.

Performance: - 4/5: I give this a 4 in regards to it's class. I realize that it's a 0.01/5 compared to a 911 or a ZR1. That's not what this is about. This car is definitely not fast. If you want a fast Subie get a STi or a Legacy GT. However, this car feels a lot faster than it actually is. The suspension is nice and stiff, and the steering is quick and light with good feedback. There is a good amount of low-end torque to give you a rush low in the rev range. The clutch is a little stiff so it can get bothersome in start-stop traffic. One downside to the performance are the brakes. They stop the car fine, but I wouldn't trust them to stop the car in a hurry and they don't have a strong feel to them.

Features: - 5/5: This is the special edition so it came with a bunch of goodies that the regular 2.5i doesn't have. Some of the highlights include: WRX seats, heated seats, moonroof, auto climate control, 6 CD stereo with aux input, cruise control, fog lights, spoiler from the WRX and some other stuff I can't think of. Basically everything I need and some stuff I don't but is nice to have. It also has standard AWD like all Subarus.

Comfort: - 4/5: The seats are super sweet. They are really supportive and the material is soft. The ride is a little firm but that doesn't bother me. I bought an Impreza not a Rolls. I will say that between the sound of the engine, whine of the transmission, and road noise, it is fairly loud inside the cockpit. I don't know what the newer ones are like though. Back seat space is quite limited but it's usually just me, and I'm always driving so I don't care. Might be a problem for familys/carpoolers.

Economy: - 3/5: New Imprezas start at just under $21,000 CAD. I know that's a lot in comparison to $14,000 Mazda 2s and $16,000 Civics, but it's still decently priced for what you get. Fuel economy is rated at around 30 MPG highway, but I can tell you that's not true. I probably get closer to 23/24 MPG.

Interior: - 3/5: The interior is pretty plain. The seats are nice and everything is in the right place, but it's nothing fancy. The steering wheel is really nice too.

FOSE: - 1.5/5: Not likely here. The back seat is really tight. You might impress her with all the features but it might not go any further than that in the car. If you're good you might be able to utilize the moonroof for back-seat debauchery, weather permitting.

Overall: - 4/5: This is a nice little car. It's no rocket, but it's peppy and good fun to drive. I haven't had a chance to give it a go in the snow but I've heard it's awesome. For the new price of this car optioned out I'd just as soon buy a WRX, but used it was quite the bargain. Overall I enjoy it and I'm super pleased with my purchase. It might not be everbody's cup of tea but that's for you to decide.

I hope this wasn't too long winded. If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you don't care, that's cool too.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: 2007 Impreza 2.5i SE

Post by potownrob »

nice!! i take it you have the sedan and not the wagon... :) :wink: :roll: :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter

Post by 4onthefloor »

potownrob wrote:nice!! i take it you have the sedan and not the wagon... :) :wink: :roll: :lol:
Yeah I got the sedan. Oddly enough the sedans are really hard to find around here. There are wagons everywhere, but only the odd sedan. When I went to the dealership they had a half-dozen or so of the wagons in the same year, but only one sedan.

Pics are in the link in my sig.

potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

4onthefloor wrote:I haven't had a chance to give it a go in the snow but I've heard it's awesome.
any updates on this review after the winter?? :) :lol: 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter

Post by 4onthefloor »

potownrob wrote:
4onthefloor wrote:I haven't had a chance to give it a go in the snow but I've heard it's awesome.
any updates on this review after the winter?? :) :lol: 8)
This winter was not an average Canadian winter. Usually we are up to our knees in snow from Nov. to March. We didn't get much snow this winter, but I did take advantage of what we did get. It was awesome. Even with all season tires this thing is a beast in the snow. I never got stuck even once, and I did some "drifting" in some empty parking lots to get a feel for it. It does exactly what you want it to on the snow. AWD is awesome.

potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

4onthefloor wrote:This winter was not an average Canadian winter. Usually we are up to our knees in snow from Nov. to March. We didn't get much snow this winter, but I did take advantage of what we did get. It was awesome. Even with all season tires this thing is a beast in the snow. I never got stuck even once, and I did some "drifting" in some empty parking lots to get a feel for it. It does exactly what you want it to on the snow. AWD is awesome.
:D :mrgreen: :D