Stouffer's lasagna

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Stouffer's lasagna

Post by theholycow »

All varieties:
It's available in many sizes. I prefer the "Large size", which is about 19oz. There is one smaller size of which I need to eat two. I think there are two larger sizes, a family size and a party size.

1. Stouffer's Lasagna with Meat & Sauce
This is what I consider the original Stouffer's lasagna. It is possibly the best frozen microwave lasagna. Yum. I eat every little bit of it. It's cheesy, meaty, saucy, and of course pastaey. Each component tastes good, and they work together as a formidable team of excellent flavors and textures.

2. Stouffer's Lasagna Italiano
This is yucky. It smells funny, I think because of the meat, which may be some sort of italian sausage. Said meat is not a kind that I like, but others may enjoy it. Instead of sauce it has chunks of tomato. I HATE CHUNKS OF TOMATO! I love sauce, of which there is none. It has lots of ricotta cheese, which is ok for me but some people dislike it. After I ate the half of it that isn't tomato chunks, it left me still hungry.

3. Stouffer's Five Cheese Lasagna
No idea, and I don't intend to make the mistake of straying from the good one again.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Stouffer's lasagna

Post by Shadow »

Dude...you need to learn how to cook (if you don't already) and stop buying frozen crap!

You should have been posting this stuff back when I was in college :lol:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I can cook most of what I like but it's totally not worth the effort when I enjoy these lowbrow easy choices so much.

I don't have a kitchen at work. I can nuke stuff here, that's all. For a while my wife was making lots of homemade food and freezing it for me to bring to work but with her new job she lacks the time/energy/will to do so. That's ok because I like a lot of this unhealthy frozen crap/fast food too. I grew up on it since my mom didn't cook.

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:All varieties:
It's available in many sizes. I prefer the "Large size", which is about 19oz. There is one smaller size of which I need to eat two. I think there are two larger sizes, a family size and a party size.
I think I've only had family and/or party size before :? :| :wink: :twisted:
1. Stouffer's Lasagna with Meat & Sauce
This is what I consider the original Stouffer's lasagna. It is possibly the best frozen microwave lasagna. Yum. I eat every little bit of it. It's cheesy, meaty, saucy, and of course pastaey. Each component tastes good, and they work together as a formidable team of excellent flavors and textures.
agreed overall, but the sauce oftentimes can taste like something out of a chef boyardee can.
2. Stouffer's Lasagna Italiano
This is yucky. It smells funny, I think because of the meat, which may be some sort of italian sausage. Said meat is not a kind that I like, but others may enjoy it. Instead of sauce it has chunks of tomato. I HATE CHUNKS OF TOMATO! I love sauce, of which there is none. It has lots of ricotta cheese, which is ok for me but some people dislike it. After I ate the half of it that isn't tomato chunks, it left me still hungry.
don't believe i've ever seen or had this one :?
3. Stouffer's Five Cheese Lasagna
No idea, and I don't intend to make the mistake of straying from the good one again.
sounds good but not sure i've seen or had this one either...michael angelo's lasagna is ok too, don't like the veggie lasagna much though...i also heard that back in the 70s green giant used to make a lasagna that would blow away all other frozen lasagne, but it no longer exists, at least not around here... :cry:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Speaking of larger frozen lasagnas and other brands, how about the 28oz On-Cor Lasagna with Meat Sauce?

It's not quite as good as Stouffer's, but it's quite decent. It's larger and significantly cheaper, but for its size it has surprisingly few calories. It's just right for making me full.

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

never had that one before
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

I will never eat On-Cor again. Ever.

I've made a lasagna before. It comes out of the oven waaaay better than any frozen crap out of the nuker (or the oven for that matter).

One thing to consider though when buying frozen crap in a box - does your microwave have enough power and is it big enough?

I have a 1100W Sharp sitting over the stove. It'll cook anything.
Last edited by Chris H. on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinf
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kevinf »

theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Chris H. wrote:I've made a lasagna before. It comes out of the oven waaaay better than any frozen crap out of the nuker (or the oven for that matter).
It's totally not even possible to compare. Might as well compare a real steakhouse burger (from fresh meat, hand-packed) to McDonalds.
One thing to consider though when buying frozen crap in a box - does your microwave have enough power and is it big enough?

I've rarely encountered a microwave that can't properly nuke anything that fits in it. In fact, only once, and I think it was broken. Every microwave I use, I must reduce nuking time or else it will come out overdone, even the cheap analog dial-operated 700w one I in my camper.
kevinf wrote:You should try Healthy Choice Steamers:

Specifically, this one:
http://www.healthychoice.com/product-Ro ... _2309.html
I've tried a few and didn't like them. Additionally I have to eat 3 of them to be full, and one costs twice as much as an On-Cor. I'd be better off ordering take-out from a local restaurant.

scientist
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Mini Cooper

Post by scientist »

Specifically, this one:
230 calories for dinner? Wow, I can't believe that one would be enough to fill someone, although that meal does look pretty good.

What about the salt content in all these frozen meals too? Must be through the roof.
'04 Honda Civic AT
'11 Mini Cooper 6-speed
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

scientist wrote:What about the salt content in all these frozen meals too? Must be through the roof.
Sodium in the El Charrito Grande Saltillo Dinner I had a couple days ago: 1880mg, 78% of RDA.

The good news is it fills me up on a mere 650 calories, has reasonable values for the other stuff (1/3 of RDA for fat, loads of fiber, decent vitamins etc), and is incredibly cheap.

kevinf
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kevinf »

theholycow wrote:
Chris H. wrote:I've made a lasagna before. It comes out of the oven waaaay better than any frozen crap out of the nuker (or the oven for that matter).
It's totally not even possible to compare. Might as well compare a real steakhouse burger (from fresh meat, hand-packed) to McDonalds.

I've rarely encountered a microwave that can't properly nuke anything that fits in it. In fact, only once, and I think it was broken. Every microwave I use, I must reduce nuking time or else it will come out overdone, even the cheap analog dial-operated 700w one I in my camper.

Specifically, this one:
I've tried a few and didn't like them. Additionally I have to eat 3 of them to be full, and one costs twice as much as an On-Cor. I'd be better off ordering take-out from a local restaurant.
Supplement it with a cup of yogurt and you'll have a much healthier quick n easy dinner :)
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

The only frozen food I buy are frozen veggies that I steam. And ice-cream. Everything else is rather questionable and isnt that good for the most part.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

kevinf wrote:
theholycow wrote:I've tried a few and didn't like them. Additionally I have to eat 3 of them to be full, and one costs twice as much as an On-Cor. I'd be better off ordering take-out from a local restaurant.
Supplement it with a cup of yogurt and you'll have a much healthier quick n easy dinner :)
I don't think you get it. If I eat 400 calories I'll have to eat again in an hour. It usually takes 800-1200 to get me through to the next mealtime.

Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:The only frozen food I buy are frozen veggies that I steam. And ice-cream. Everything else is rather questionable and isnt that good for the most part.
There are a few more than that, but it's not a bad way to look at frozen things. They typically have less nutrients than the fresh versions, and (opinion to follow) don't taste as good as something fresh. Obviously, some things have to come frozen. *shrug*
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!