Exedy Stage 1 Clutch

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Exedy Stage 1 Clutch

Post by DKaz »

My clutched was fux0red, so I took the opportunity to upgrade to a performance Exedy Stage 1 Clutch.

Performance - 3.5/5
It grabs like a cat on a scratchpost, yet is still good enough for daily driving. The friction point is a lot closer to the floor than I what I was used to with the stock clutch giving me a few jolts at the beginning but the wife and I quickly adapted. Launches from a stop feels quite a bit quicker although I haven't had time to really test it and reengaging the clutch also feels quicker. I would estimate that I can knock down my 0-60 by about three tenths of a second. It is rated to handle over 300HP, it's like using a chain rated to pull tons to couple a goat to a wagon carrying a few lbs of hay. However I only gave this a 3.5 out of 5 because compared to my buddy's Stage 3 clutch, it left a little bit to be desired. However...

Practicality - 4/5
That Stage 3 clutch would have me using that same cat to claw my left foot off for day to day driving. The Stage 1 is a bit stiffer to provide a better feel for the friction point but still comfortable enough to gain a 4.

Asthetics - 3/5
It's a clutch. Here's a photo. Old stock clutch with its flywheel absolutely gone, burnt to hell, vs. the Exedy Stage 1 Clutch below.

Durability - Unrated
I'll get back to you guys on this once this clutch burns out, which hopefully won't be for another 10 years, provided I finally drive stick like a guy who's been driving stick for over 10 years and not abuse my clutch every once in awhile like a two year old.

Versatility - 1/5
I was considering making a side table out of the old clutch but I think it's general purpose is to couple an engine to an Amish transmission.

FOSE - 2/5
For you single folks you could use pick lines like "I grab hard baby" or "I'll row your gears all night long" but then when they actually get in your car they realize you're talking about the car not her. Enjoys the ride anyway but she's not getting any yet. By the time you're done with driving and want her, she asks you to take her home.

Overall - 4/5
Aesthetics, versatility, and FOSE aside, if you're looking for a clutch that'll improve the feel for the friction point, improve your launch times, yet still be comfortable enough for that daily romp, this is one clutch to definitely consider.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Exedy Stage 1 Clutch

Post by theholycow »

DKaz wrote:It's a clutch. Here's a photo. Old stock clutch with its flywheel absolutely gone, burnt to hell, vs. the Exedy Stage 1 Clutch below.
Pictured are clutches and pressure plates (as part of clutch cover assembly), no flywheels there, unless I'm looking at it wrong.
Versatility - 1/5
I was considering making a side table out of the old clutch but I think it's general purpose is to couple an engine to an Amish transmission.
Ah, but how many different cars does it fit?

Honestly I would not want it to be any more versatile than the OEM clutch.
FOSE - 2/5
For you single folks you could use pick lines like "I grab hard baby" or "I'll row your gears all night long" but then when they actually get in your car they realize you're talking about the car not her. Enjoys the ride anyway but she's not getting any yet. By the time you're done with driving and want her, she asks you to take her home.
"I like to grab my stick."
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

theholycow wrote:Pictured are clutches and pressure plates (as part of clutch cover assembly), no flywheels there, unless I'm looking at it wrong.
I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. lol. I thought the fly wheel goes between the pressure plate and the clutch.
theholycow wrote:Ah, but how many different cars does it fit?

Honestly I would not want it to be any more versatile than the OEM clutch.
Model specific. :) Well the Mazda 3 and 5 use the same clutch. They are a huge supplier of OE clutches so they know a few things about making clutches.

It seems their product availability for race clutches has thinned out as of late...

http://www.exedyusa.com/race/
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

The clutch is the lightweight part that is on the transmission input shaft and is the sandwiched meat. The pressure plate and flywheel are the bread. The flywheel is bolted to the engine crankshaft and the clutch cover assembly (including the pressure plate) is bolted to the flywheel.

Well, whether or not you know what you're talking about, you obviously know what you're doing since it works. :wink:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DKaz »

I would've made things that look alike go together, but I hired a friend to install it for me. :)
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His

ImageImage