Ford Raptor vs Leaf

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Ford Raptor vs Leaf

Post by Rope-Pusher »

...Blower
Emissions Test: Car vs. Truck vs. Leaf Blower
http://www.insideline.com/features/emis ... lower.html

NMHC NOx CO
0.005 0.005 0.276 2011 Ford Raptor
0.016 0.010 0.192 2012 Fiat 500
0.182 0.031 3.714 Ryobi 4-stroke leaf blower
1.495 0.010 6.445 Echo 2-stroke leaf blower

To equal the hydrocarbon emissions of about a half-hour of yard work with this two-stroke leaf blower, you'd have to drive a Raptor for 3,887 miles, or the distance from Northern Texas to Anchorage, Alaska.
Last edited by Rope-Pusher on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Ford Raptor vs Leaf

Post by theholycow »

I'd settle for regulations about noise emissions.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

When the government starts regulating noise, I'm hoping they start with the hand dryers in the restrooms.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's just a matter of time before we start seeing emissions equipment on lawn mowers and other yard equipment. They pollute as bad as a car from the 50's.

I don't know if anyone watched the MythBusters episode about car emissions vs motorcycle emissions, but even motorcycles are gross polluters compared to cars.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

My old lawnmower had a regular miss at idle. I fingered it out. They used the throttle control to ground out the spark to shut the engine off when shoved past idle to "Stop". At idle, when the spark was close to being grounded, spark would jump the gap, causing the miss, which slowed the engine enough that it didn't make enough voltage for the spark to jump the gap, until after a few more revolutions without the miss-fire, when it was up to speed again and the voltage was sufficient to jump the gap. I'm sure that caused loads of emissions every time I let it idle when I emptied the clippings bag. Yeah, I coulda tried shortening or repositioning the wire to increase the gap at idle position, but knowing why it did it was good enough for me.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

LOL...so your lawnmower went from a gross polluter to a disgustingly gross polluter.

I wish I could find the website again where I read that a typical lawnmower used to cut an average-sized lawn for one year (meaning spring/summer/fall) pollutes more than a new car driven 100,000 miles. I don't remember exactly what they said, but it was something like 10 times the amount of pollution if I remember correctly. I'm also not sure which gasses they were measuring, but I'm sure hydrocarbons were the main emissions they were talking about.