Acura ILX Review (2.4L 201HP 6MT)

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Acura ILX Review (2.4L 201HP 6MT)

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:Good to see that they hit it right with the car. Its a shame however that the civic si was forgotten. But thats what honda seems to do. In 99-00 they had the best SI they made up to that point. Then from 02-05 were considered a dud. Then from 06-11 was the best civic si's ever made (or so I am told) and now they have the 2012.
this reminds me of back in 05 when i was looking for a replacement for my 94 civic. i was considering various cars including the integra, rsx and the then-current civic si. i would've been interested in the older civic si too, but i was afraid of it getting stolen and stripped (was happening to people with civic SIs and integra GS-Rs back then).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:Good to see that they hit it right with the car. Its a shame however that the civic si was forgotten. But thats what honda seems to do. In 99-00 they had the best SI they made up to that point. Then from 02-05 were considered a dud. Then from 06-11 was the best civic si's ever made (or so I am told) and now they have the 2012.
this reminds me of back in 05 when i was looking for a replacement for my 94 civic. i was considering various cars including the integra, rsx and the then-current civic si. i would've been interested in the older civic si too, but i was afraid of it getting stolen and stripped (was happening to people with civic SIs and integra GS-Rs back then).
Good thing you didn't get the civic 01-05. I hear those engines weren't that great. Head Gasket problems. I looked at an 06 civic and boy I guess those had big problems.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

Nice car and nice review. You Americans never got the Acura CSX/EL which has been popular in Canada since 1996 but this is a great improvement over the already very good CSX. It looks less like the Civic, even though the CSX was the real JDM Civic and then they took that, gave it a cheaper interior, and called it the North American Civic, but I guess they needed a unique look entering the American market?

Have they officially started selling these yet? I haven't seen one on the road yet, just lots of CSXs and ELs around. That interior is definitely more in like with what you would expect from Acura, even if the old CSX still had a very nice interior.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

DKaz wrote:Nice car and nice review. You Americans never got the Acura CSX/EL which has been popular in Canada since 1996 but this is a great improvement over the already very good CSX. It looks less like the Civic, even though the CSX was the real JDM Civic and then they took that, gave it a cheaper interior, and called it the North American Civic, but I guess they needed a unique look entering the American market?
yeah, it has to follow the design motif of the other acuras. not sure why they insist on having ugly grills and front ends lately.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Perpetuus
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW GTI Mk. V

Post by Perpetuus »

Yep, this ILX is already available for sale in Canada, but it has only been a couple of months. Unlike the CSX, the ILX will be available in the US and some other parts of the world as well.

I have a 2012 TSX for the week (but not 6MT). So far, it feels very nice, but you do notice the car is a lot heavier than the ILX.
DKaz wrote:Nice car and nice review. You Americans never got the Acura CSX/EL which has been popular in Canada since
1996 but this is a great improvement over the already very good CSX. It looks less like the Civic, even though the CSX was the real JDM Civic and then they took that, gave it a cheaper interior, and called it the North American Civic, but I guess they needed a unique look entering the American market?

Have they officially started selling these yet? I haven't seen one on the road yet, just lots of CSXs and ELs around. That interior is definitely more in like with what you would expect from Acura, even if the old CSX still had a very nice interior.
GTI Mk5 6MT -| Dieselgeek | VF Engineering | O.Z. | Wavetrac | Forge | AWE | H&R | Öhlins | ITG
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed