Review: 1998 Honda Prelude base

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Review: 1998 Honda Prelude base

Post by comawhite »

I haven't owned this car long, but I have put about 650-700 miles and about 4 months to be able to do a proper review.

Specifications:
Year: 1998
Make: Honda
Model: Prelude Base
Miles: 110,724 miles
Engine: 2.2 Litre H22A4 VTEC I-4; 10.0:1 Compression Ratio; (147 kW; 195HP) @ 7,000rpm & 156 ft-lbf (212 N-m) @ 5.250rpm; Redline 7400rpm; VTEC engagement: 5200
Suspension: Wishbone front and rear suspension with stablizer bar independent with coil springs
Brakes: Four disc brakes including two ventilated discs
Curb Weight: 1,380kg (3,042 lb)
Gas Tank Capacity: 15.9 US gallons
Modifications: AZ intake

Engine/Drivetrain Performance: 7
Handling/Braking: 8
Reliability: 7 (3 if you get the slushbox)
Practicality: 4
Cost to own: 6
Feasibility of Sexual Encounters: 6
Fun Factor: 10

Engine/Drivetrain Performance: I will have to say that the engine is very beasty for a nice 4 banger. The only competition would have the be the Honda S2000's. If you want to count the NSX but afaik that was a 6 banger, rather than a 4 banger. The engine loves to be revved and it begs to be. It's not fast as you would compare to something out of Corvette. Then again, that is comparing apples to oranges. I can easily get the car pushing just shifting at around 3000-3500rpms. You can really hear when you hit 5200rpm and have the VTEC crossover and it just sounds so mean when it does. It well built in my opinion although it did have some problems in a few areas like the auto tensioner, the FRM sleeves and tendency to leak oil. The auto tensioner on this engine has a long history of failing due to it being tensioned by the oil pressure. People who are new to the Prelude H22A4 world wouldn't know it unless they were properly knowledgeable on it. I've replaced it and ditched it completely with a Kaizenspeed manual tensioner designed for the H22. You could easily swap on the H23 manual tensioner and not worry any more unless you fail to maintain it with it's timing belt service schedule. That's why I didn't give it a higher rating.

The transmission can take abuse. I've grinded it a few times and still have no issues with it. The gear ratios: 1st: 4.285; 2nd: 1.950; 3rd: 1.344; 4th: 1.034; 5th: 0.812; Final: 4.266. I absolutely love this car's transmission and really happy with it. I do not like the 5th gear in the transmission though. It could have been giving a better one like the one in the Honda Accord. You will find yourself at a higher RPM range than you would like. It'd be nice to do 65mph @ 2000 or 2500 rather than 3000. Though at the same time I find myself driving at 80-90mph, if I don't keep my eye on the speedometer. I do find a problem with the slushbox model of this generation Prelude. The slushbox is notorious for failure. It was poorly designed which results it in needing to constantly be rebuilt all the time. My advice is if you want a Honda Prelude of this generation. The only way is to get the manual transmission version. It was designed way better than the slushbox version. If you do get the slushbox. I would start saving up and looking to do a automatic to 5-speed manual conversion.

Handling/Braking: This is one of the great things on this car besides the power-plant. I can say for a 14 year old car with no modifications. This car handles beautiful, especially at high speeds in corners. I even have a bad lower ball joint and can still have great handling, but I haven't really pushed it to it's max limit. I find that it can be a little rough on a few areas on the road as you will feel bumps , but it's nothing like I would feel in my other car. It's an amazing car to drive on the road. The braking is decent even on pads that need to go soon. It will stop really quick if you are ever in the need. With ABS it's even better. My tires aren't even that great since I had to put used tires on to get rid of the bald tires I got when I bought it.

Practicality: There really isn't that much to give credit here on the car. I guess this is why the car was last produced in 2001. I'm not really happy with the comfort level of the seats as it can get uncomfortable after a while of driving. The front seats feel rather firm and not much padding, even if you raise the seat it still doesn't feel great. The backseats aren't any better. Though it is a little more comfortable than the front. The leg from in the back is really bad. Not much room and not that easy to get in an out of. I wouldn't keep mates in the back, especially if they are tall and/or big. This car is more of a 2 seater than of a 4 seater. Another thing is the middle area in the backseat which is a flat console like. I guess you can call it a sex blocker, though it is less of a sex blocker than the 4th generation Prelude which was ridiculously big. The boot/trunk is decently sized and I have no complaints of my own.

Reliability: With proper maintenance on this car, replacing the auto tensioner with a manual, keeping the oil seals up. This car is really a great car to have.

Cost to own: If you can find this car with a manual transmission and not modified out and properly maintain. I can't really see you spending too much on maintaining it other than the usual stuff that a tune-up requires. A lot of the parts on this car a relatively cheap, especially if you get it from a site like Hondapartsnow.com rather than the dealership. It's like any other Honda. They are pretty easy repair, if you work on your cars. This is my first car that I decided to actually learn more about and do the work myself. A lot of it is fairly easy to get in there and replace without having to shell out extra money to pay someone to do it. I've even seen women work on these kind of cars and it be really reliable. Let me say one thing. If you are able to properly maintain this car. You will be able to get some good gas mileage out of it. I average about 24-25mpg. About 24mpg on the street and 30mpg on the highway. I drove to and from the dealership on the freeway pretty much doing 80-90mph and was able to get 30mpg. Especially with the powerhouse it has. It gives me good gas mileage. I get about 150-160 to half a tank. I haven't taken it to almost empty to know how much to a tank. I pay about $3.79 a US gallon with Premium Unleaded gasoline. Which this car requires. I do end up paying about $16-21 to fill it up from half a tank.

Feasibility of Sexual encounters: I would say this car is very chic and an attention seeker. I've only seen this car about 6-7 times in my life. I only know of 2 other 5th generation Prelude owners live, although I've never talked to them. I do get some stares my way and if you keep the exterior up and properly done. It will bring you attention. :P Unless I'm missing the point of FOSE.

Fun factor: It's an amazing car to drive and own. Every time I get into this car. I absolutely fall in love with it. I wouldn't mind driving this car until it falls apart. I would buy another again, if I was ever in that position (which I hope I never have to). While it's not a V8 car. You will be able to see yourself wanting to redline it and just hit VTEC a lot. I am always eager to get in her and drive her. I can't even stop wanting to drive her and I find ever little excuse to. I guess I'm in love with it. Drive one yourself and tell me you won't like it. I dare you. It is worth owning one in your lifetime.
Last edited by comawhite on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Review: 1998 Honda Prelude base

Post by AHTOXA »

I thought your car was red?
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
comawhite
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Honda Prelude

Post by comawhite »

AHTOXA wrote:I thought your car was red?
It is red or San Milano Red. I just used a better picture of the car rather than my own. I'll change it if you want.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

I see my review format has caught on!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:I see my review format has caught on!
Welcome to 2008.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

theholycow wrote:
94Corolla5Speed wrote:I see my review format has caught on!
Welcome to 2008.
What did I tell you about foreigners being behind the times?

And I meant caught on by... almost word for word what I posted in my Miata review. Every aspect is the same.
fr4n
Senior Standardshifter

Post by fr4n »

65mph at 5th gear at 3000 rpm and your complaining lol.

at 65 mph in 6th gear for me is 3500 rpm. you must be really used to relaxed gear ratios.

otherwise preludes are nice for its ages definitely.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Damn. For me 3000rpm is 82mph in fifth.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

At 82 I think the Miata is somewhere around 4300 in 5th.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

5th = 3000 rpm = about 70 mph in the Fiesta. And my friend's early 2000s Civic. We had that discussion one time.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

How are you liking those headlamps?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

comawhite wrote: Feasibility of Sexual encounters: I would say this car is very chic and an attention seeker. I've only seen this car about 6-7 times in my life. I only know of 2 other 5th generation Prelude owners live, although I've never talked to them. I do get some stares my way and if you keep the exterior up and properly done. It will bring you attention. :P Unless I'm missing the point of FOSE.
i always thought of FOSE as the ability (space wise) to go all the way in the car, and some reviews have treated it as such, but I think your angle is relevant too, and maybe even more important.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

potownrob wrote:
comawhite wrote: Feasibility of Sexual encounters: I would say this car is very chic and an attention seeker. I've only seen this car about 6-7 times in my life. I only know of 2 other 5th generation Prelude owners live, although I've never talked to them. I do get some stares my way and if you keep the exterior up and properly done. It will bring you attention. :P Unless I'm missing the point of FOSE.
i always thought of FOSE as the ability (space wise) to go all the way in the car, and some reviews have treated it as such, but I think your angle is relevant too, and maybe even more important.
I've treated it both ways in reviews. How practical it would be, and how it might help/hurt your chances of that happening.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:How are you liking those headlamps?
not the best pick-up line i've ever heard of :?
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote:How are you liking those headlamps?
not the best pick-up line i've ever heard of :?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD