Scion FR-S 6MT

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
Perpetuus
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW GTI Mk. V

Re: Scion FR-S 6MT

Post by Perpetuus »

I am positive that changing out the transmission oil will make a difference to the shifting effort.

A few months ago, a co-worker and I were talking about this. They accidentally used the wrong transmission oil in their race car, and got much notchier gearshifts until they swapped the oil out for something OEM-spec. In most cases, it`s best to stick with the same transmission oil that is recommended by the manufacturer for this reason.

In the case of the FR-S or BR-Z, however, maybe not.
GTI Mk5 6MT -| Dieselgeek | VF Engineering | O.Z. | Wavetrac | Forge | AWE | H&R | Öhlins | ITG
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Scion FR-S 6MT

Post by Shadow »

Perpetuus wrote:I am positive that changing out the transmission oil will make a difference to the shifting effort.

A few months ago, a co-worker and I were talking about this. They accidentally used the wrong transmission oil in their race car, and got much notchier gearshifts until they swapped the oil out for something OEM-spec. In most cases, it`s best to stick with the same transmission oil that is recommended by the manufacturer for this reason.

In the case of the FR-S or BR-Z, however, maybe not.
Yup, it made a noticeable difference when I swapped out the OEM gear oil for the Redline stuff. I'd highly recommend it...even though my gearbox wasn't bad in the first place, the Redline made it smooth as butter even in sub-freezing temps.