Scion FR-S 6MT

Test drive a car? Have a favorite oil filter? Love your LCD TV? Post the product in the title and review away!
Perpetuus
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW GTI Mk. V

Re: Scion FR-S 6MT

Post by Perpetuus »

Squint wrote:
Perpetuus wrote:Borrowed for product evaluation purposes, it's a small but exciting part of my job. :D
Squint wrote:How did you get to take one home for the weekend?
A bit late, but what job do you have where you get to borrow new cars?? I want that job...
Engineering at Honda :)
GTI Mk5 6MT -| Dieselgeek | VF Engineering | O.Z. | Wavetrac | Forge | AWE | H&R | Öhlins | ITG
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Perpetuus wrote:Engineering at Honda :)
Something about this rings to me like engineering theft :wink: :lol:

Of course, officially, it's just checking out the competition, right? :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Perpetuus
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW GTI Mk. V

Post by Perpetuus »

Haha. For the record, car manufacturers often have unofficial programs in place to trade cars with each other for product evaluation/testing purposes. Sometimes (but not often at all) we have access to some rather interesting vehicles.

The most impressive car I have ridden in is the McLaren MP4-12C. Funnily enough, that opportunity did not present itself because of my job. I can't review that car, but I certainly can tell you about the experience!

GTI Mk5 6MT -| Dieselgeek | VF Engineering | O.Z. | Wavetrac | Forge | AWE | H&R | Öhlins | ITG
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

*drools*

*picks jaw back up*
Yeah, I assumed there is some evaluation that car manufacturers do with each other. Companies share information/tech/ideas all the time. Just look at Ford's relatively recent history. Involvement with Volvo, Jaguar, Toyota, and Mazda, and those are just the ones that the general public knows much about.

I would love to sit down and have a beer and talk cars with you, seems like you've had some fun stories about checking out different vehicles. Too bad no one is near Kentucky. :roll: :lol:

For Pony!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Squint wrote:*drools*

*picks jaw back up*
Yeah, I assumed there is some evaluation that car manufacturers do with each other. Companies share information/tech/ideas all the time. Just look at Ford's relatively recent history. Involvement with Volvo, Jaguar, Toyota, and Mazda, and those are just the ones that the general public knows much about.

I would love to sit down and have a beer and talk cars with you, seems like you've had some fun stories about checking out different vehicles. Too bad no one is near Kentucky. :roll: :lol:
maybe we can have the 2013 SS Meat at your place :) :idea: 8) :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

potownrob wrote:maybe we can have the 2013 SS Meat at your place :) :idea: 8) :twisted:
I'd be down for it being local here. There are enough country roads you can hit in any directions without going too far. And camping areas. But that's obviously up to everyone else.

For Pony!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

is it hilly out there like WV at all, or will our visits to the whiskey farms make it feel like it's hilly??

edit: did you feel the quake out there at all??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

potownrob wrote:is it hilly out there like WV at all, or will our visits to the whiskey farms make it feel like it's hilly??

edit: did you feel the quake out there at all??
Some hills, though more rolling-style hills than steep hills like WV. And the bourbon is what you're looking for.

And surprisingly no earthquake feeling. Supposedly people could near Lexington, but I was working and we didn't notice anything. Surprised on the news when it said there was a 4.whatever quake.

EDIT: hills like these are common:

For Pony!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

On my way now; pm me your address for when I get closer
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

potownrob wrote:On my way now; pm me your address for when I get closer
:lol: :lol: Just send me a message when you're in the area. I'll show you some fun roads south of Lexington where you can enjoy the rolling hills to their full, country-highway extent.

Or, you just visit this place: http://www.makersmark.com/

EDIT: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So I went to type in my DOB to get through to Makers Mark website.. and keyboard didn't register the 9 in the 1988. So I was born in 188 and it went through. :lol: :lol:

For Pony!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Well I should think they would let you in and let you run the company if you're from 188
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

potownrob wrote:Well I should think they would let you in and let you run the company if you're from 188
If I were in charge of Makers Mark, we'd just have every meet there, though there probably wouldn't be much driving happening. Just saying. It wouldn't even be the question of legality. We just wouldn't be able to pick the keys up to go to the car.

For Pony!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Perpetuus wrote: A bit late, but what job do you have where you get to borrow new cars?? I want that job...
Engineering at Honda :)[/quote]
How did I miss this. So jealous
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

Sounds like they have some quality issues. And that's horrible, for a car that starts out at $25k :lol:.

Not to cross up manufacturers, but they should build and price it the same as the Chevy Sonic, but as a RWD sporty alternative. A couple hundred lbs lighter with about 50-60 less hp, and $12k off the current MSRP, and I think it'd be a very good car.

And about the quality issues you talked about, most of that stuff hasn't started happening on my family's domestics until 120k+ miles. Shame to see that kind of thing on a brand-new car. The radio is especially disappointing and looks like something you'd expect from a Chinese or Mexican auto marque.

And Shadow, I doubt different oil in the trans would help :roll:. IF its anything like my Sonic it needs more/better synchros on 2nd. You've said before that you can just powershift and slam gears in your Audi, it has what, like 5 synchros on 2nd? :lol:
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

SonicHKS wrote: And Shadow, I doubt different oil in the trans would help :roll:.
Don't tell me, tell all the guys in the FR-S/BRZ forums who have already changed out the OEM gear oil and have reported much less notchy shifting. Here's the forum....check for yourself: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php
You've said before that you can just powershift and slam gears in your Audi, it has what, like 5 synchros on 2nd? :lol:
Actually, I've never said that. I've never powershifted my Audi, not even once.